View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 19 of 158 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #181
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    And if society deems that their objections have merit, society will eventually change its mind and accord them such rights. If not, then they won't. This is the slippery slope fallacy that I was talking about.
    The slippery slope fallacy ignores the concept of legal precedent. As it stands, in most places, it is illegal for two the same gender to enter into a legal marriage agreement. There are a number of situations were it would be beneficial for such a an agreement between two people (or more) that is currently illegal. For example, two old widows could cohabitate and enjoy the legal benefits that a SSM or CU would allow. I could "marry" my sister and adopt her children so that they could receive the medical benefits that my job provides....there's plenty of legal situations that allowing SSM would set a precedent for...
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #182
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    If your going to normalize the abnormal for one small group then you can expect other abnormal groups to expect the same and they would have a "RIGHT" to feel that way.

    A single person loving their parents is very much the same thing when it comes to passing on your social security and covering them with health benefits and tax breaks.
    The solution is easy then, then fight to change SS not to deny others eaqual rights.
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  3. #183
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I dont disagree with your post...what I disagree with is allowing two men to marry and pass on SS and not allow singles to do the same for their parents...they both pay the same into SS without the same rights...along with all other groups that are not the norm....how do you justify allowing one group that is outside the norm the right to do something that is not allowed for other groups outside the norm..that is DISCRIMINATION and homosexuals want to be treated special...and I do not agree with that
    Because the other group (singles wanting to pass on SS to parents/whoever) have not agreed to take on other legal and financial responsibilities for that other person and vice versa, as any married person has.

    And if your problem is with SS benefits being passed on, you cannot say that it is just same sex couples that would get this, since opposite sex couples currently have this through their marriages. It is wrong to argue that one group would be wrong for trying to get marriage for a specific benefit that you may be against while not mentioning that another group already gets that benefit that works the same way no matter the sexes/genders of those involved in the legal marriage.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #184
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The right to marry someone of the same gender.
    So only those YOU agree with and forget the rest even if its unequal.
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  5. #185
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The slippery slope fallacy ignores the concept of legal precedent. As it stands, in most places, it is illegal for two the same gender to enter into a legal marriage agreement. There are a number of situations were it would be beneficial for such a an agreement between two people (or more) that is currently illegal. For example, two old widows could cohabitate and enjoy the legal benefits that a SSM or CU would allow. I could "marry" my sister and adopt her children so that they could receive the medical benefits that my job provides....there's plenty of legal situations that allowing SSM would set a precedent for...
    I agree with your examples, not so much with the other typical pedophile/pederasty/necrophile/bestiality examples.

    I think the problem you're outlining here, however, is an issue with the financial benefits of marriage as opposed to the idea of same-sex marriage itself. A couple other posters have already pointed out the potential for exploiting marriage for financial benefit, and the problem starts with marriage in general, not SSM in particular.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  6. #186
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    So only those YOU agree with and forget the rest even if its unequal.
    Yep, just me. I'm the only one opposing it.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #187
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    How about discrimination based on Polygamy, or Incest...please...its NOT GENDER...its about them wanting to benefit share at a cost to other taxpayers and being afforded special treatment not afforded to other abnormal groups...
    these are strawman
    Polygamy is fine with me as long as it follows the same rules as marriage, consenting human adults.
    Incest sex is none of my buisness but marriage is restricted because of gentic dangers.

    sorry one strawman is fine but different as long as it follows the rules
    the second strawman is totally unrelated.
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  8. #188
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The slippery slope fallacy ignores the concept of legal precedent. As it stands, in most places, it is illegal for two the same gender to enter into a legal marriage agreement. There are a number of situations were it would be beneficial for such a an agreement between two people (or more) that is currently illegal. For example, two old widows could cohabitate and enjoy the legal benefits that a SSM or CU would allow. I could "marry" my sister and adopt her children so that they could receive the medical benefits that my job provides....there's plenty of legal situations that allowing SSM would set a precedent for...
    Your first scenario, with the two old widows, would be allowed with same sex marriage being legal. Same sex marriage could not be limited to only people who are homosexual. I'm pretty sure no one would be asked what their sexuality was at all when getting a marriage license (just as it isn't legal to ask that question now).

    Precedent only applies when the situations are almost identical and would still need to go through a court to decide, especially if there are any differences (such as blood ties, number of contracts, etc.) that would change the reasons that one could be denied the right to marriage. If precedent were an issue, then it would have been set in stone with Loving v. VA.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #189
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I agree with your examples, not so much with the other typical pedophile/pederasty/necrophile/bestiality examples.

    I think the problem you're outlining here, however, is an issue with the financial benefits of marriage as opposed to the idea of same-sex marriage itself. A couple other posters have already pointed out the potential for exploiting marriage for financial benefit, and the problem starts with marriage in general, not SSM in particular.
    Actually, what I'm pointing out is how SSM could be used to open the door to other groups...you're "slippery slope". I actually support Civil Unions for the reasons I mentioned, and for homosexuals.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #190
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I dont disagree with your post...what I disagree with is allowing two men to marry and pass on SS and not allow singles to do the same for their parents...they both pay the same into SS without the same rights...along with all other groups that are not the norm....how do you justify allowing one group that is outside the norm the right to do something that is not allowed for other groups outside the norm..that is DISCRIMINATION and homosexuals want to be treated special...and I do not agree with that
    This is a total fallacy, please support this statment with something logical.
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •