View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 18 of 158 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #171
    Student TheGreatSandeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    192

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    It has everything to do with gay marriage...you allow homosexuals to marry and the surviving spouse gets their social security adding even more strain to a system that is broken.
    I agree, let's sacrifice the homos for the good of the straight people's welfare.

  2. #172
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    If your going to normalize the abnormal for one small group then you can expect other abnormal groups to expect the same and they would have a "RIGHT" to feel that way.

    A single person loving their parents is very much the same thing when it comes to passing on your social security and covering them with health benefits and tax breaks.
    And if society deems that their objections have merit, society will eventually change its mind and accord them such rights. If not, then they won't. This is the slippery slope fallacy that I was talking about.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #173
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not unless you can show that the single person planned to spend their life with their parents, using the money they earned to help in that support.

    There is a reason that SS works the way it does for married couples and that is because in many married relationships, it is very common for one person to be making most, if not all, of the money in the relationship while the other person takes care of the domestic responsibilities for the two of them and possibly their children (if there are any). Because of this sharing of responsibilities during the marriage, it is assumed by the government that the money was considered shared by the couple during the marriage and those SS benefits were technically from money that was earned during that time, so therefore it should be shared between the couple later in life.

    Trying to apply that to a person living with their parents would be different, since they are not going to be involved in the same sort of relationship. There could be an option for a similar contract like marriage to deal with those rare cases where it might happen, although, in a way it does for certain people who receive SS from their parents' work, while they are considered legally minors and their parents die. Such a contract shouldn't be called marriage though, since it is not involving the same aspects of marriage, including the expectation that the two will stay together for a good portion of their lives, despite who else may come along (which is not a logical expectation of any purely famial relationship, since it is generally accepted that children become independent of their family once they become adults).
    I dont disagree with your post...what I disagree with is allowing two men to marry and pass on SS and not allow singles to do the same for their parents...they both pay the same into SS without the same rights...along with all other groups that are not the norm....how do you justify allowing one group that is outside the norm the right to do something that is not allowed for other groups outside the norm..that is DISCRIMINATION and homosexuals want to be treated special...and I do not agree with that

  4. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    What's your beef. Honest to [expletive-deleted], why DO YOU care? Why are you just fine with an entire segment of the populace being denied the right to marry.
    Why is it -morally- wrong?
    Easy. It's icky.

  5. #175
    Student TheGreatSandeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    192

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I dont disagree with your post...what I disagree with is allowing two men to marry and pass on SS and not allow singles to do the same for their parents...they both pay the same into SS without the same rights...along with all other groups that are not the norm....how do you justify allowing one group that is outside the norm the right to do something that is not allowed for other groups outside the norm..that is DISCRIMINATION and homosexuals want to be treated special...and I do not agree with that
    I think the smiliraties between the two situations end when the two men are married and the single person is still single.

    Or maybe I'm missing something here.

    Also, last I checked you can't decide and formulate laws based on what people think societal norms are.
    Last edited by TheGreatSandeno; 05-30-11 at 12:54 PM.

  6. #176
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Why is it -morally- wrong?
    Easy. It's icky.
    so is eating your own **** but I don't think there are laws against that lol.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  7. #177
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    How about discrimination based on Polygamy, or Incest...please...its NOT GENDER...its about them wanting to benefit share at a cost to other taxpayers and being afforded special treatment not afforded to other abnormal groups...
    It is gender, since any person can currently marry either homosexual person, a heterosexual person, or a bisexual person, of the opposite sex. It happens all the time.
    While a heterosexual cannot legally marry either a heterosexual person, a homosexual person, or a bisexual person of the same sex for whatever reason. All laws that ban same sex marriage deny marriage based on sex, not sexuality. There is not a single law anywhere that prevents a homosexual person from getting married. The laws prevent everyone from marrying a person of their choosing if that person is a person of the same sex.

    Polygamy and incest are strawmen arguments and if they want marriage rights, they should present their arguments for those rights in a logical and workable fashion. Hint: there are actually logical arguments to be made against both of these that have nothing to do with randomly denying equal protection because some/many people don't agree with these things. Whether those arguments would be enough to continue to deny them marriage rights would be something for the courts to decide.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #178
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    actually I'm in favor of legalizing polygamy in principle. I see no good reason why it shouldn't be legal.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #179
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Your putting words in my mouth..I didnt say marriage is merely financial
    I did NOT put words in your mouth that is in fact what you said, so to clear it up I ASKED you instead of assuming and if it was what you said I wanted to know the logic behind it. See how that works. It seems you get quite defensive rather quickly even though you claim its the opposition.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    marriage is between a man and woman
    Nothing more than your opinion, history, some laws and dictionaries already disagree with you. Now you are free to feel that way and I support that but not force that on others


    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    homosexuals want to marry and recieve a financial benefit not afforded other groups outside the norm and single people that are the norm.
    this is two separate opinions, the first is you are assuming that's the only reason gays want to get married and two that they are out side the norm. Again you are speaking in absolutes based off of your opinion, that is what CC is talking about.

    Gay want equal rights period and with that there are MANY things they are being denied





    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    CC only accepts as logic what he agrees with your apparently the same way...I could just as easily say and be right btw that yyou wanting two men to marry is ridiculous and illogical, see how easy it is to throw labels around just because you dont agree with a point of view?....everything I disagree with is going to illogical from now on and no one will present a logical argument because I dont agree...then i can be just like you and CC
    More defensive tactics even though you offer nothing of logic and substance, CC easily backs up what he says while you seem to say, "because I said so"

    just saying, you state you want to have a discussion but it doesn't appear you really want too? Im all ears when you are ready.

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    "Anyway please continue, its interesting the SS thing you brought up though IMO that has nothing to do with gay marriage it seems you problem is with how SS is handled."

    It has everything to do with gay marriage...you allow homosexuals to marry and the surviving spouse gets their social security adding even more strain to a system that is broken.
    No it has NOTHING to do with gay marriage lol it has to do with you thinking SS is broken LOL how cant you see that? What if marriages increased by 10% next year, what would you blame then? according to your logic you'd have to blame MARRIAGE period.

    If SS is strained already its already broken, sorry that has nothing to do with gay marriage no matter the parallel you try to draw to it. You either dont like marriage and or SS to claim you don't like Gay Marriage doesn't make sense.
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  10. #180
    Student TheGreatSandeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    192

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    actually I'm in favor of legalizing polygamy in principle. I see no good reason why it shouldn't be legal.
    Because of God, that's why.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •