View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 155 of 158 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1541
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Why two? Your qualification of "two" demands that either marriage has a set definition that you want to uphold, or that you think society is the determining factor in how marriage is defined and society is not ready for polygamous marriage.
    My apologizes that wasnt clear, it doesnt HAVE to be two. I just meant thats what marriage and gay marriage currently is and I have no problem with polygamy and 5,6, 7 or whatever if they are all sound mind and consenting.

    I went back and changed is.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #1542
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Has everything to do with the subject at hand. Your argument is that gay marriage is on equal footing as traditional marriage and should thus be recognized as such in all ways including its legal standing. It is based on the premise that marriage is not a covenant between one man and one woman before God. If that is your premise, then you believe one of two things: marriage has a definition, which you would need to provide in order for this debate to continue, or marriage has no set definition and becomes whatever society decides it should be. In either case you need to explain if you would deny marriage to a polygamous family and if so how you would logically make that denial based on your premises.

    A belief in god is not a requirement of marriage.

  3. #1543
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    My apologizes that wasnt clear, it doesnt HAVE to be two. I just meant thats what marriage and gay marriage currently is and I have no problem with polygamy and 5,6, 7 or whatever if they are all sound mind and consenting.

    I went back and changed is.
    Ok, so marriage is something (not before God) between any number of consenting adults. That's special.

    So what's the point? Obviously the legal issues, although for some reason civil unions are not enough. So, how would you reformat our tax code to provide for tax returns with more than two married people on the return? How would you change the deductions and credits to ensure that there is no marriage penalty?

    If you think the government definition of marriage should be some sort of ambiguous contract between any number of consenting adults, don't you think we should just get the government out of marriage altogether?
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  4. #1544
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    [QUOTE=friday;1059583539]Ok, so marriage is something (not before God) between any number of consenting adults. That's special.

    Yep you're are right is has NOTHING to do with GOD unless the people involved want it too.
    Your opinion on special is also meaningless because youe opinion on someone else marriage is worthless, if they deem it special it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    So what's the point? Obviously the legal issues, although for some reason civil unions are not enough. So, how would you reformat our tax code to provide for tax returns with more than two married people on the return? How would you change the deductions and credits to ensure that there is no marriage penalty?
    the point is to be LEGALLY married have the legal benefits, recognition and protection of you family.
    Civil union arent good enough for the obvious reason that they are not marriage or as legal sound and binding.
    Tax returns get figured out by the law and state I dont have the solutions and already pointed to the hurdle for polygamy. Still meaningless when talking about rights, freedoms and equality for the topic of hand of gay marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    If you think the government definition of marriage should be some sort of ambiguous contract between any number of consenting adults, don't you think we should just get the government out of marriage altogether?
    of course not for many reasons, the most obvious being is that ending marriage would never happen and is just fantasy talk. In dishonest to even think thats an avenue.

    But just a small quick reason is then your family has even less protections.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #1545
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    [QUOTE=Centrist77;1059583548]
    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post

    of course not for many reasons, the most obvious being is that ending marriage would never happen and is just fantasy talk. In dishonest to even think thats an avenue.

    But just a small quick reason is then your family has even less protections.
    So you don't think we could replace marriage on a government level with a family contract system? It would require smaller government. But aside from that, I don't see how you are going to redefine marriage without losing any plausible definition.

    While we are at it, why adults? Once again you are showing that you have a definition in mind.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  6. #1546
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Let me finish for now with this observation. If I had to guess, I would probably guess that the pro-gay marriage debaters on this site supported Barack Obama in 2008. If that is true, that would be interesting since Obama said he believes marriage is between one man and one woman and that he would support civil unions but not gay marriage. Contrast that with those ultra conservatives like Michelle Bachmann and Herman Cain who said the states should decide and Ron Paul who believes marriage should be between a couple and their church without any government involvement.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  7. #1547
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Let me finish for now with this observation. If I had to guess, I would probably guess that the pro-gay marriage debaters on this site supported Barack Obama in 2008. If that is true, that would be interesting since Obama said he believes marriage is between one man and one woman and that he would support civil unions but not gay marriage. Contrast that with those ultra conservatives like Michelle Bachmann and Herman Cain who said the states should decide and Ron Paul who believes marriage should be between a couple and their church without any government involvement.

    Michele Bachmann supports the FMA which takes the issue of gay marriage out of the States hands.

  8. #1548
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    So you don't think we could replace marriage on a government level with a family contract system? It would require smaller government. But aside from that, I don't see how you are going to redefine marriage without losing any plausible definition.

    While we are at it, why adults? Once again you are showing that you have a definition in mind.
    Well back on topic of gay marriage why do MORE work?
    Its much easier to open up marriage to same sex couples than to insanely suggest to get rid of marriages and make a whole new system, again thats just fantasy.

    Why adults?
    because that fits the law already, typically in almost all circumstances adults are the only ones able to enter in a contract and of full sound mind (not an adolesences mind)

    who said I would lose what in YOUR opinion is plausible definition
    and the definition im changing is ONLY based on law not anybody's opinion and it could easily be argued its only changing to not contradict other laws.

    like equal rights did for women and minorities etc.

    this is simply commons sense stuff

    instead of giving equal rights to women and minorities did we ever think we just just not have rights? no of course not because that is as silly as what you are suggesting.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #1549
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Ok, so marriage is something (not before God) between any number of consenting adults. That's special.

    So what's the point? Obviously the legal issues, although for some reason civil unions are not enough. So, how would you reformat our tax code to provide for tax returns with more than two married people on the return? How would you change the deductions and credits to ensure that there is no marriage penalty?

    If you think the government definition of marriage should be some sort of ambiguous contract between any number of consenting adults, don't you think we should just get the government out of marriage altogether?
    Sir, we're in the mid 1500's for posts. You can't really talk about a debate not starting. People attempted to change the subject a very long time ago to this very subject. They were advised to start their own thread.

  10. #1550
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    She only supports FMA if the courts overturn the states.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •