View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 153 of 158 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1521
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    55

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    It isn't. I don't care who someone marries! I only care about who I am married to. Why control others?

  2. #1522
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    No one called "them" legal and non legal just another thing you made up to try and save face
    Ha,ha, do YOU even read your own posts? You've been calling them that all along, but maybe reading isn't your strong point?

    Thats what I though, you got NOTHING LMAO
    Seems to me you are the one that has nothing - confusing the ceremonies with the "marriage" as someone else already pointed out to you - guess it went over your head. No surprise.

    and like about 20 posters said you two just dont understand the law and separate, you cant reply because there's egg all over your face and I wasnt dumb enough to let you back pedal, change the subject or deflect LMAO. Nice try though. Problem is the thread is still here and so are your lies and inaccurate statements for all to see.
    When someone has a comprehension problem, they can say whatever they want, accuse the other of saying whatever they want - but those who read your posts know what you said, and for them it is clear. A wedding ceremony that is not according to the rules of the state is not "legal" whether it is done in a church or on the steps of the courthouse! Your psuedo marriage ceremonies do not produce legal marriages!


    When you are ready to dispute my facts and admit you said inaccurate claims let me know
    When you post "facts" instead of "babble" - I might even consider reading it, but so far, I just have to dismiss it.

    Religious and non religious have NO BARRING on the subject at hand that LEGAL marriage is separate form everything else.
    Those are the only two types of wedding ceremonies. If you can name a different type, be sure to post it - otherwise, your claims are laughable!

    Religious marriage is NOT legal marriage
    There is no such thing as a religious marriage - unless you are talking about a couple that attends church together and they happen to be married! Ha,ha,ha!

    There are "religious wedding ceremonies" and "non-religious" (civil) wedding ceremonies. Learn the difference between the two.

    Non-religious marriage is NOT legal marriage
    What? Are you claiming that a non-religious ceremony does not produce a "legal" marriage? That is another ignorant statement you've made.

    First of all, there is no such thing as a non-religious marriage, unless you are talking about an atheist couple who happen to be married. But if you were confusing "marriage" for "ceremony" you are still wrong. A non-religious ceremony "IF DONE ACCORDING TO THE LAWS OF THE STATE" produces a "legal" marriage.
    ONLY LEGAL MARRIAGE IS LEGAL MARRIAGE.
    Duh! Did you discover that on your own? That's like saying only circles are circles, only women are women, only men are men! Brilliant! Now I realize the level of intelligence I'm dealing with here!

    No other type of marriage is LEGAL without taking the LEGAL steps, this is a fact that you either dont get, choose to ignore or you are simply acting dumb to save face, but again I wont let you
    No sh$t Sherlock! Only legal marriages are legal! Ha,ha,ha - you don't even realize what an idiotic statement you are making. Of course only legal marriages are legal.

    You are still confusing the "ceremony" with the actual "marriage". The marriage is what results from a "ceremony" - and for the marriage to be legal, the ceremony has to be performed in accordance with the state law in the state which a marriage ceremony takes place.

    Just man up and admit your statement of
    "People getting married in a church are officially considered married by the state"
    Well, only the densest of the dense would claim that they are not. I specified that if they were done according to the laws of the state, and I stand behind my statement. For you to claim that they are not legal is just plain ignorant. I was married in a church - and my marriage is legal, so look who's got egg on their face now!

    is 100% wrong and inaccurate, they will NEVER be legally married without the legal steps.
    You are insisting that I said something I didn't. Of course the legal steps have to be taken, I have asserted that several times. Whoever was reading the post to you must have overlooked that part.

    You were the one that brought up ceremonies that were done without a license in some pseudo church - and nobody is claiming that those "ceremonies" produced a legal marriage. You are so trying to defend your stance, but it is so obvious you are failing terribly.

    We will all be waiting for you to man up.
    "We"? Oh, I get it, you mean the sock puppets, also!



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  3. #1523
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Legal Facts 101
    in reality
    "Legal marriage and religious marriage are totally separate"
    There is no such thing as a religious marriage! There is "religious wedding ceremony" and "non-religious (civil) ceremony. All marriages are legal, whether the ceremony was performed in or out of the church, and even "common-law marriages" are legal if you live in a state that recognizes "common law marriages' - otherwise you are just shacking up.

    When you say "religious marriage" - you are talking about a married couple that practices religion as part of their marriage. You don't realize how ignorant it sounds to be calling the "ceremony" the "marriage".

    le·gal/ˈlēgəl/Adjective
    1. Of, based on, or concerned with the law:

    cer·e·mo·ny (sr-mn)
    n. pl. cer·e·mo·nies
    1. A formal act or set of acts performed as prescribed by ritual or custom: a wedding ceremony;

    mar·riage   
    [mar-ij] Show IPA
    –noun
    1.
    a.
    the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.
    b.
    a similar institution involving partners of the same gender: gay marriage.
    2.
    the state, condition, or relationship of being married; wedlock: a happy marriage.




    "Religion has nothing to do with legal marriage."
    Ha,ha, churches are filled with couples that practice religion and they are legally married. You may want to learn the definition of all the words you are using.


    "Legal marriage has nothing to do with Religious marriage"
    Ha,ha, again, there is no such thing as a religious marriage, unless you are talking about a married couple who practices religion in their marriage.

    And, religious wedding ceremonies produce "legal" marriages, if done in accordance with the laws of the state in which they are performed.

    "God and RELIGIOUS marriage are connected,
    Duh! Yeah, we know, only women are women, only men are men, and only children are children! Of course God and a "religious ceremony" are connected. And, you can have a religious marriage after the ceremony, or not. Some couples have a religious wedding ceremony and never step in the church again, ergo, their marriage is not religious at all.


    God is MEANINGLESS to LEGAL marriage."
    Er, WRONG! My marriage is legal, and God is not meaningless at all to me or my husband - so FAIL big time!



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  4. #1524
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You are, for the most part, wrong.
    According to you? That is your opinion and you're welcome to it, doesn't make it fact, though.
    While I wouldn't say that they are totally separate, they are much more separate than they are joined.
    Religious wedding ceremonies produce legal marriages (if done in accordance with state law.) Non-religious wedding ceremonies produce legal marriages (if done in accordance with state law). I don't even understand your concept of "separate" - of course they are separate in that they are done in different locations. They both produce legal marriages (if done in accordance with state law).
    It is more like they are running parallel to each other in a married couple's life, those that have a personal marriage at all that is.
    The wedding ceremony takes place before there is a marriage, don't really understand your reference to a personal marriage. What do you mean by personal or impersonal? What has that got to do with how/where the ceremony took place?

    Either could exist without the other one.
    Huh? What "either" could exist without the other one? If you are talking about "religious ceremonies" and "non-religious ceremonies" - yes, they could exist without the other but that is not what the people of America want. There are many that do not want a "religious ceremony" and many that do, so the states provide you the opportunity to choose.

    According to you?
    According to me, what? You don't break out your response, so I really don't know what you are referring to.

    Legal marriage is only about the legal rights and responsibilities that the government bestows upon anyone who enters into a legal marriage with a marriage license.
    And who said anything contrary to that? The government doesn't really care where a couple gets married. Only that it is done according to law, so that you can reap the benefits that come with marriage, and that applies to "legal marriages". Ceremonies performed in psuedo churches, without licenses do not produce legal marriages and the couples in these type of marriage are not eligible for the benefits that go with marriages.

    With or without a ceremony, God, clergy, religion, the marriage license has to be signed by someone authorized by the government to do so.
    Duh! Who said anything different? Even if you don't have a fancy ceremony, the very act of some official/clergy signing the license "before authorized witnesses" can be considered a ceremony.

    There are some exceptions to this, depending on the state, but generally it is expected that people obtain a marriage license before they get the ceremonial marriage if they expect to be considered legally married from that point.
    The marriage doesn't become legal until it is recorded in the court house. If a state or church allows the wedding before a license is produced, it will not become legal until a license is obtained, signed, witnessed and returned to the court to be recorded.

    Most historical records show that some form of marriage existed prior to all modern religions, including Christianity. And even in Christianity, marriage was between a couple and God alone early on. It did not involve a clergy, or anyone else for that matter, to bless a couple's union.
    And? We are talking about what makes a marriage legal now, not back when Adam and Eve got together.


    Having a religious ceremony or not does not change any of the legal aspects, responsibilities, benefits, or rights that are granted to a couple through the marriage license.
    And where did I say it did.

    As I said before, it is more like they are running parallel to one another, rather than actually connected.
    I didn't say they were connected. Both religious and non-religious ceremonies (if done in accordance with state law) produce legal marriages. That other poster's silly nonsense that religious ceremonies (he calls them marriages) are not legal is nothing but BS. That they produce legal marriages, is a fact (if done in accordance with state law).

    And there are definitely churches, even in the US, that consider a couple to be married even if they do not have a legal marriage license.
    Big deal, they are not married according to the state, and that is what reaps the government benefits. In the eyes of the state and those that know their marriage is not legal, they are still not married, no matter how much they love each other and how many vows they repeat.

    That is why gays are seeking SSM. If all they wanted was to be recognized as being married they would just opt for the psuedo ceremonies, but they want to be able to claim the benefits that only come with "legal" marriages.

    There are a lot of same sex couples who have already been through a religious ceremony so that they are considered married by the eyes of their church and/or family and friends.
    They may be considered married by everyone in the world, but if they don't have a legal marriage, they cannot claim the government benefits afforded legal married couples.

    There are also polygamous groups who may legally marry one wife, but also marry other wives in a religious ceremony only. They too are seen as married in the eyes of their church, and family and friends.
    We're not talking about pseudo ceremonies - we are talking about "legal" marriages.

    A Christian church who performs "psuedo" ceremonies is not obeying the ordinances of God, who tells us we must obey our government. For a marriage to be legal, it must follow the rules set by the state. So, to call themselves Christian is mockery.

    Romans 13:1-2
    1 Obey the government, for God is the one who put it there. All governments have been placed in power by God. 2 So those who refuse to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  5. #1525
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,479

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    After 1000's of post on SSM, I still don't understand what the social impact would be. Is homosexuality contagious? If it is, then most people are immune since the gay population is only about 3%.

  6. #1526
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Generally to perform a legal marriage the person needs to be a recognized member of the clergy (minister, priest, rabbi, etc); a judge, a Justice of the Peace and in some states a court clerk can hold that authority.
    Are you trying to say that I said something different?



    A religious marriage is generally considered a marriage presided over by a priest and a civil marriage is usually considered one that is presided over by a judge.
    Wiki:
    A marriage is the product of a "wedding ceremony" or "marriage ceremony" - and is considered "religious" if done by priest/clergy with references to God. A civil marriage ceremony takes place in a non-religious location and can be done by a clergy or JOP. Both produce legal marriages if done according to the laws of the states they are performed.

    Marriage is a social union or legal contract between people that creates kinship. It is an institution in which interpersonal relationships, usually intimate and sexual, are acknowledged in a variety of ways, depending on the culture or subculture in which it is found. Such a union, often formalized via a wedding ceremony, may also be called matrimony.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  7. #1527
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    After 1000's of post on SSM, I still don't understand what the social impact would be. Is homosexuality contagious? If it is, then most people are immune since the gay population is only about 3%.

    Those that are against SSM are usually religious people that believe it goes against God for homo-sexuals to marry. They view homo-sexual activity as a sin, and feel that it defiles marriage, which is considered an institution established by God. However, that is like legislating morality since homosexuality is not considered a criminal offense. If the only way they can qualify for the benefits that the government affords legally married people, I say let them have their marriages.

    I really don't see how that affects the marriages of others.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  8. #1528
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    There is no such thing as a religious marriage! There is "religious wedding ceremony" and "non-religious (civil) ceremony. All marriages are legal, whether the ceremony was performed in or out of the church, and even "common-law marriages" are legal if you live in a state that recognizes "common law marriages' - otherwise you are just shacking up.

    When you say "religious marriage" - you are talking about a married couple that practices religion as part of their marriage. You don't realize how ignorant it sounds to be calling the "ceremony" the "marriage".

    le·gal/ˈlēgəl/Adjective
    1. Of, based on, or concerned with the law:

    cer·e·mo·ny (sr-mn)
    n. pl. cer·e·mo·nies
    1. A formal act or set of acts performed as prescribed by ritual or custom: a wedding ceremony;

    mar·riage   
    [mar-ij] Show IPA
    –noun
    1.
    a.
    the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.
    b.
    a similar institution involving partners of the same gender: gay marriage.
    2.
    the state, condition, or relationship of being married; wedlock: a happy marriage.





    Ha,ha, churches are filled with couples that practice religion and they are legally married. You may want to learn the definition of all the words you are using.



    Ha,ha, again, there is no such thing as a religious marriage, unless you are talking about a married couple who practices religion in their marriage.

    And, religious wedding ceremonies produce "legal" marriages, if done in accordance with the laws of the state in which they are performed.


    Duh! Yeah, we know, only women are women, only men are men, and only children are children! Of course God and a "religious ceremony" are connected. And, you can have a religious marriage after the ceremony, or not. Some couples have a religious wedding ceremony and never step in the church again, ergo, their marriage is not religious at all.




    Er, WRONG! My marriage is legal, and God is not meaningless at all to me or my husband - so FAIL big time!
    say it 50 more times and it still wont be true.
    this is your statement.
    "There is no such thing as a religious marriage!"

    this is 100% false and or you lying

    pick one LMAO

    Nothing else needs responded to until you accept the facts.
    When you can address the facts and talk reality instead of your fantasy world let me know.

    we will all be waiting for something reality based instead of nonsensical and false statements based on your opinion and emotion .
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #1529
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    What's your beef. Honest to [expletive-deleted], why DO YOU care? Why are you just fine with an entire segment of the populace being denied the right to marry.
    Its wrong because the church says so, and they are the ones to marry people. There is nothing wrong about gay partnership rights, but luckily 2 men cannot have children. Gay adoption is wrong to the children, social engineering of a degree we should not have. Public homosexuality, normalisation of homosexuality and so fourth should be forbidden.

    Forcing the church to marry gay people is like forcing gun advocats and owners to lobby and advertise against weapons. It simply shouldnt be done.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  10. #1530
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Its wrong because the church says so, and they are the ones to marry people. There is nothing wrong about gay partnership rights, but luckily 2 men cannot have children. Gay adoption is wrong to the children, social engineering of a degree we should not have. Public homosexuality, normalisation of homosexuality and so fourth should be forbidden.

    Forcing the church to marry gay people is like forcing gun advocats and owners to lobby and advertise against weapons. It simply shouldnt be done.
    Nobody will be forcing the church to marry gay people. I can't dignify the first paragraph.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •