View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 15 of 158 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #141
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Homosexuality and SSM is against my religious beliefs, I don't believe that one is born gay or has no control over becoming gay, and I have not seen any scientific study to prove that wrong.

    I don't believe homosexuals are "eveil" or "disgusting" or any other derogatory name anyone would assign them. I believe they should be treated with the same dignity and respect as any other person.

    so you are for gay rights then?
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I'm with CC here, if this is primarily where your opposition against SSM is rooted, then I respect your opinion but completely disagree. There's no way to logically argue against opinion that is religion-based, but if that's your position then so be it. I believe that for those who don't derive their opposition to SSM from religion, they're on much shakier ground, logically speaking.

    That being said, mac, I'm not sure why homosexuality being a choice is relevant. Even if it WERE a choice, so what, and why should they be denied the right to marry because of that?


    Devil's advocate; could people exploit the fiduciary benefits of marriage to gain a better tax rate by marrying their best dude/gal friend? Not that that couldn't happen with straight couples, but could that open to door to a new way of exploiting the couples tax rate?
    Last edited by RadicalModerate; 05-30-11 at 11:43 AM.

  3. #143
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    What do you feel about this scenario:

    A gay couple live together devotedly for 25 years. They buy a house and share a bank account. Then suddenly, one dies. The family of the deceased never agreed with her lifestyle and pretty much didn't keep in touch. However because the couple were never ever legally entitled, the surviving part of the couple loses half of what she had worked for all of her life to the people who didn't give a rat's behind about them.

    Think that is fair?
    Or better yet that person doesn't die, they are just in the hospitial but they have no legal or visitation rights while the one is on their death bed in the hospital.
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  4. #144
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Devil's advocate; could people exploit the fiduciary benefits of marriage to gain a better tax rate by marrying their best dude/gal friend?
    A straight couple could do that too...

    Got any other devils straw men in their?

  5. #145
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Devil's advocate; could people exploit the fiduciary benefits of marriage to gain a better tax rate by marrying their best dude/gal friend?
    I don't see single hetero people doing it for that reason, so no, I don't think that would be an issue.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  6. #146
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    Or better yet that person doesn't die, they are just in the hospitial but they have no legal or visitation rights while the one is on their death bed in the hospital.
    Yes, that is another valid point.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #147
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I don't see single hetero people doing it for that reason, so no, I don't think that would be an issue.
    These two definitely married for love


  8. #148
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Devil's advocate; could people exploit the fiduciary benefits of marriage to gain a better tax rate by marrying their best dude/gal friend? Not that that couldn't happen with straight couples, but could that open to door to a new way of exploiting the couples tax rate?
    I'm sure they can, they do, and they will. Doesn't make it right, though. However, same goes for heterosexual marriage.

    FWIW i posted a mini-rant earlier about how single people are killed when it comes to taxes vis a vis married people. it's not fair!
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    A straight couple could do that too...

    Got any other devils straw men in their?
    Calm down, mayn. I'm with you...you do know what's devil's advocate means, right?

    Hint; it's not a straw man.

  10. #150
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Calm down, mayn. I'm with you...you do know what's devil's advocate means, right?

    Hint; it's not a straw man.
    it means you support Satan!

    Last edited by StillBallin75; 05-30-11 at 11:52 AM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •