View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 148 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1471
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Well the numbers of people against gay marriage has been steadily dropping quite dramatically and I have not heard any one pushing for the FMA.
    Since the number of GLBT and GLBT-friendly combined with people who are no longer adamantly against gay marriage now outnumber the number who are against, I wonder how long it will be before the politicos realize it's not in their best interest to pander to the 'against' team.

  2. #1472
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    And it isn't my personal marriage that I consider devalued by SSM. It's the institution of marriage, and thereby family - and I mean blood family across generations - that is devalued.

    If I were a homosexual man, I would understand that my lifestyle will not be traditional. And if I were lucky enough to find another man who cared for me, and who I wanted to spend my life with, how would a state-recognized marriage make our lives together any better? What would we lack, aside from some weird facade of "equality" with our opposite sex friends?
    Sorry, no coffee. I'll reconsider my original post, which began "Are you ****ING kidding me!?" /erase

    1) The nuclear family no longer exists. With divorces, remarriages, and all the stepkids in between - sorry. it just doesn't.

    2) Are you ****ING kidding me!? Seriously?? "I would understand that my lifestyle will not be traditional." Maybe back in the day that was true. But most gays lead a traditional life. Well, except Ellen. I'd kill for her life. But I digress. People fall in love every day. They decide to spend their lives together, every day. But if they are both the same gender, they don't get to take that next step. Because? Apparently, they're not equal. They are less than, and therefore.

  3. #1473
    Student TheGreatSandeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    192

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    If I were a homosexual man, I would understand that my lifestyle will not be traditional. And if I were lucky enough to find another man who cared for me, and who I wanted to spend my life with, how would a state-recognized marriage make our lives together any better? What would we lack, aside from some weird facade of "equality" with our opposite sex friends?
    Why would you get married, then? As a heterosexual man, how does a state-recognized marriage make your life better?

  4. #1474
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    blood family across generations - that is devalued.
    I'm ok with that. People gravitate to their own, and more than blood is required to keep a family together. I don't see the family unit as being intregral to societal progress. I'm no commie, but blood should not be so important to people. Still, marriage (given religious connotations) has no place in government.


    @BD
    I'd kill for her life.
    Just for that one super-hot gf alone, nevermind the fortune and fame.

  5. #1475
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Just for that one super-hot gf alone, nevermind the fortune and fame.
    Good lord, she's a beauty. And I'm pretty sure she's Ellen's wife, since they did get married in the window of having the right to do so.

  6. #1476
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    Marriage is a state issue. Churches don't issue marriage licenses, states do. You are correct in that the federal government has no business in this though.

    It's pretty simple actually and yet everyone wants to make it so damned complicated. If states A, B, C, D and E want to legalize gay marriage, I have no problem with that. If states F, G, H, I and J want to ban gay marriage (or define marriage as being between a man and a woman), I have no problem with that either. If gays want to marry, move to a state that legalizes it. It's no different than if someone moves from state X to state Y because the tax laws are far more lenient in state Y than they are in state X.
    AWESOME! Yes! Half the states should be for gays to marry in, and half for straights. And then everybody will have to move to the appropriate state if theirs is not the right State.

    Perfect.

  7. #1477
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    Marriage is a state issue. Churches don't issue marriage licenses, states do. You are correct in that the federal government has no business in this though.

    It's pretty simple actually and yet everyone wants to make it so damned complicated. If states A, B, C, D and E want to legalize gay marriage, I have no problem with that. If states F, G, H, I and J want to ban gay marriage (or define marriage as being between a man and a woman), I have no problem with that either. If gays want to marry, move to a state that legalizes it. It's no different than if someone moves from state X to state Y because the tax laws are far more lenient in state Y than they are in state X.

    Probably because there's nothing simple about "moving" to another state.
    Packing up and leaving is VERY "damned complicated" for the vast majority of people I would guess. Especially if you are in Hawaii, Alaska or if the discriminating state you want to leave or move to is a couple states away.

    Yes that is very damned complicated.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #1478
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    It's pretty simple actually and yet everyone wants to make it so damned complicated. If states A, B, C, D and E want to legalize gay marriage, I have no problem with that. If states F, G, H, I and J want to ban gay marriage (or define marriage as being between a man and a woman), I have no problem with that either. If gays want to marry, move to a state that legalizes it. It's no different than if someone moves from state X to state Y because the tax laws are far more lenient in state Y than they are in state X.
    It is very different. If it was a valid argument to say that those who don't wish to be subject to discriminatory marriage laws should move to a state without them and stay in that state, then the Lovings would have lost their case in Loving v. VA. In fact, their punishment for living as a married couple in the state of VA was to be kicked out of the state. The SCOTUS ruled that they had a right to be married in whatever state they wanted to live in.

    The SCOTUS will most likely make a similar ruling once one of the SSM cases heading to the SCOTUS within the next decade or less makes it to them.

    If states were actually restricting marriage completely based on ability to procreate, instead of sex/gender of those involved, they would probably be able to justify those restrictions. The way they are restricting marriage now, however, is considered discrimination and has to be justified at the appropriate level of scrutiny by the state to be in place in order to meet a state interest.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #1479
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    if you dont like semantics don't talk them.
    I however am talking facts, legal facts that stand right now, all you have to give me is stories and qualifies and opinions etc etc, thats semantics.
    Trying to split hairs between the meaning of severed and separating is semantics, and you made the original distinction. I have argued that I support gay marriage, but ultimately this issue will likely remain deadlocked. Therefore I am arguing that hypothetically marriage has become useless, and somewhat of a laughing stock in today's society. Two people can achieve the legal rights currently allowed under marriage (without special tax status) by signing a power of attorney. So what use is it other than to create this drama? People aren't following the basic precepts of marriage anyhow, and divorce rates are still high. The same people who condemn gay marriage don't seem to have much of an issue with divorce.

    Jesus himself left no reference at all about gay marriage. All we have are the rantings of Paul. Like it or not, this does effect current laws concerning marriage, because-

    Marriage and religion are not completely separate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Fact remains legal marriage has nothing to do with religious marriage they are in fact separate and the constitution and laws make them that way. A magistrate or singing elvis can marry me tomorrow and religion would play ZERO role. Those are the facts.
    Most marriage licenses say something to the effect of: "You are hereby authorized to join together in the HOLY STATE of Matrimony..." and then it varies from there. It may be secular, but it is not entirely separate from religion.


    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    no matter how many times you say it LEGAL marriage and god are totally separate, accept this fact or don't, it doesn't change LMAO
    Interesting because before you argued that you didn't believe that the relationship between religion and marriage was entire severed.



    Quote Originally Posted by centralist77
    You can disagree all you want but it doesn't change the fact they are separate. Nor did I imply the relationship is "severed".
    But then you did argue that it was separate. Damn, semantics again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    God and RELIGIOUS marriage are connected, God is MEANINGLESS to LEGAL marriage. Not sure why these facts bother you?
    If God is meaningless to legal marriage, why can't gays marry?


    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    didnt go over my head you changed your stance and tried a back pedal
    Codswallop. I haven't changed my stance a single time in this thread. I am only offering up a hypothetical situation. What if marriage wasn't a civil issue? That was my original premise. Why should it be? Any protections people are seeking in marriage for can be done by other means.


    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post



    the saying goes "I couldnt care less" meaning you dont care at all and its impossible for you to care any less
    W-T-H? Now you're splitting hairs over how I tell you that I don't care about ad populum based arguments. Brilliant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post

    and lastly people agreeing with you has nothing to do with FACTS, facts remain the same whether you agree or not and the only fallacies stated were in your post.
    You must have missed the entire point of every last one of my posts. No matter.



    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I never swore any vows to or under God when I got married. God was not mentioned in my ceremony at all, and I wore a dress, had bride's maids and rings, it wasn't done by a JotP, etc. God does not have to be a part of marriage if a couple does not want God or any other higher power to be part of their marriage.

    Government involvement in marriage is vary necessary, if only to keep track of who is married in order to protect each person within the relationship. But in tracking the relationship, it also helps the government avoid being screwed over by people who might take advantage of any "extras" that are offered with marriage.
    I already mentioned that people could request that God not be mentioned. And also, marriage isn't necessary for anyone's protection. If the tax status was removed, the "extras" wouldn't be an issue.
    And actually, the government provides incentives for social behavior using these tax benefits and so on. That's one of the many reasons I would rather the government not be involved an people's relationships at all. It's about control.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #1480
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I already mentioned that people could request that God not be mentioned. And also, marriage isn't necessary for anyone's protection. If the tax status was removed, the "extras" wouldn't be an issue.
    And actually, the government provides incentives for social behavior using these tax benefits and so on. That's one of the many reasons I would rather the government not be involved an people's relationships at all. It's about control.
    There are more things than just tax incentives given for marriage.

    I am a military spouse. I get a lot of government incentives for being married, including housing, very reduced price medical and dental, very affordable life insurance, tuition assistance from the government, base access, etc.

    Plus, to get my name legally changed, all I had to do was show my marriage certificate to the SS office and my chain of command (I was active duty when I got married).

    And there is at least one protection offered by the government only to people who are legally married, and that is spousal privilege when it comes to testifying in court. A legal spouse cannot be ordered by the court to testify against their spouse about any conversation the couple may have had during their legal marriage. This is not available with any other legal paperwork.

    I also brought up earlier (in this thread or another thread) that one thing that legal marriage does for a couple is set up a legal status where all the money earned/made during the marriage by either spouse is considered joint property, including social security tax money. This is why spouses are eligible for each other's SS when they retire, since the law says that if the money was earned during the marriage it legally belongs to both of them.

    And I didn't ask to exclude GOD specifically. My husband and I specifically picked our ceremony out of a book the officiant had with her. We didn't have to tell anyone about the decision. No request was made.

    And I have known many people who just went to the JotP or Vegas to get a legal marriage quickly, then had a wedding ceremony later.

    The marriage license is just a civil contract between two people. Just because most people choose to have a wedding ceremony and have that license signed pretty much with that ceremony does not mean that God is involved in any way with that contract. The contract is separate from the ceremony and God. And marriage is the best word to describe certain relationships, no matter if religion is involved in any way with that relationship.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •