View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 147 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1461
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    A constitutional amendment is simply not going to happen. The requirements are too high to ever get it done. Getting 2/3 of the senate for something like this is simply impossible. When DOMA is overturned, FMA is not going to be a realistic option. What will be tried is another DOMA with narrower language, but even that is unlikely to pass unless the senate goes much more conservative, and of course a republican sits in the WH. Further, such a DOMA would be unlikely to survive court challenges if it actually had any provision about not recognizing SSM from other states, and without that language, what is it's point.

    About the best anti-SSM forces can hope for is a compromise on a civil union the same as marriage arrangement, and even that is unlikely.
    Nah, I think once the tide turns, the anti SSM people will move to get government out of marriage entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  2. #1462
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Let's get it out of the House and find out.

    Or better yet lets stop treating gays as second class citizens.

  3. #1463
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Let's get it out of the House and find out.
    The house is the easiest part. The Senate will be where it dies even if it does get out of the house. Even getting out of the house is somewhat unlikely.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #1464
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Call me whatever, dude. I really don't care.

    It is interesting that you rebut my valuing of the institution of marriage with examples of how it has already been cheapened. Do you regret that your examples make a mockery of marriage? Will SSM make the institution stronger? Or make it even more meanlingless?

    I'm up too late. I'll check in tomorrow.

    Night.
    seems you have an issue with reality, I didnt call you anything. I asked you a question which I dont have an answer too and I said if you would actively stop gay marriage I would say your one or more of those things in my list. I dont have an answer so I never called you anything.

    also my examples I gave are how people cheapen THEIR marriage not mine or yours, seems you are having trouble understanding the two are totally different.

    I dont regret my examples at all they support my position 100%, those things exist yet my view of marriage isnt changed one bit, my value of marriage isnt changed one bit, how I view the institution of marriage isnt changed one bit LMAO

    WHo gets to decide what marriage is and what the institution is then? just you? different religion value it different ways, guess they all get left out in the cold or we only do it YOUR way so they can have their institution devalued right?

    what dont you get?

    Gay marriage will have ZERO impact on the institution. why? because the institution is on an individual level and its only what they want it to be and they make it.

    Anything else is a cop out and fantasy.

    What is interesting to me is that you called marriage meaningless and you think its going to get more meaningless, is that the way you feel about your marriage? its meaningless?

    Ill be waiting for you do address this post and the prior.
    Night to you
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #1465
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Nah, I think once the tide turns, the anti SSM people will move to get government out of marriage entirely.
    any of them that do that will just be desperate becuase thats a lost battle and will never happen.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #1466
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Nah, I think once the tide turns, the anti SSM people will move to get government out of marriage entirely.
    You could be right about that.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #1467
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I disagree. Just because marriage became a civil issue, that fact alone did not and cannot severe that relationship. People who marry at a court house will swear to God their vows. God is mentioned so it is by nature religious.



    This is an issue that people will never agree on-like abortion, for instance. I'm only saying that government involvement, like most government involvement, is unnecessary.



    -ok.
    I never swore any vows to or under God when I got married. God was not mentioned in my ceremony at all, and I wore a dress, had bride's maids and rings, it wasn't done by a JotP, etc. God does not have to be a part of marriage if a couple does not want God or any other higher power to be part of their marriage.

    Government involvement in marriage is vary necessary, if only to keep track of who is married in order to protect each person within the relationship. But in tracking the relationship, it also helps the government avoid being screwed over by people who might take advantage of any "extras" that are offered with marriage.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #1468
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    But then don't we have the "full faith and credit" matter to deal with? If DOMA goes, the only alternative will be a constitutional amendment to define marriage. That means going back to the voters. And a public debate. I'm looking forward to it, myself.
    Do you have any idea what it would take to get a same sex marriage amendment passed on the national level? There is no way that there is that much support out there for such an amendment. Those wanting an amendment to ban interracial marriage couldn't even come up with that much support, and the poll then showed that >70% of Americans were against interracial marriages. The polls now are showing that same sex marriage support is at 50% and increasing. Passing such an amendment would be against the will of many voters and likely to be political suicide, especially in the midst of so many other, more important matters. It would also likely be repealed within a decade, if not sooner.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #1469
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Nah, I think once the tide turns, the anti SSM people will move to get government out of marriage entirely.
    Although some probably will do this, I doubt it will become the popular route to take.

    Half the population is for SSM now. But out of those who are against SSM, I bet many are government employees of some kind, including military or retired military. Unless they are completely ignorant of what the ramifications will be of the government being completely removed from marriage, they will likely just complain about it for a while and then forget about it. It will only be brought up when it has something to do with them personally (a relative gets a SSM or they own a business where they have to give benefits equally if they base any of those on marital status).

    And it is unlikely that they will agree to take the word marriage out of the government documents. In fact, I bet you that any movement to make it civil unions for everyone, especially if done after SSM is legalized, you will see at least some of the opposition to this as those who were the opposition to SSM. In fact, at least some of them would probably blame gay people for the movement and try to claim that it is one of the things that they knew would happen if gays got SSM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #1470
    User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    06-06-11 @ 12:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    I'm pretty sure many states would put it on a public ballot.
    Where it belongs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •