View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 145 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1441
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    You can disagree all you want but it doesnt change the fact they are seperate. Nor did I imply the relationship is "severed".
    But the fact remains religious marriage has absolutley nothing to do with legal marriage unless the people getting married want it to and vice versa.
    I don't want to argue semantics since that bores me to tears, but the meaning of separate and severed are very close; so you're trying to split hairs here, which is fine. Just really boring.

    Separate: Forming or viewed as a unit apart or by itself: "two separate issues" and then Severed: To set or keep apart; divide or separate.

    Marriage existed before recorded history. Of course, it varies from one culture to the next, but in western culture it is usually Christianity. This fact is the very reason why gays are being discriminated against in the first place. This misguided and pathetically archaic belief that gays are sinners on their way to hell is still influencing this secular and civil institution. Who would have thought?


    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    ALso god absolutley does not have to be mentioned and is not unless people want it to be LOL
    Sorry you didnt know this.
    It's written on an official government document. So yeah-people can request that it not be mentioned. So what? God and marriage are connected. The "Moral Majority' has seen to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    so you are CHANGING your argument from easier to unnecessary? ok
    ha, that went over your head. I was saying that government intervention is often unnecessary. Not my argument.


    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    and that vast majority disagree with you, government got involved for your protection, thier intrests and your well being.
    I could care less who agrees with me.

    Ad populum fallacies abound.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  2. #1442
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Centrist, We may be talking past each other.

    I'm saying that if DOMA falls, as it should really, and SSM becomes an issue between the states, an amendment to the constitution will be demanded by trads. That would take it out of the hands of the courts.
    No matter the path I have faith in the right thing happening and thats eventually the constitution, freedoms, rights, liberities and equal rights prevailing while discrimination and bigotry loses.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #1443
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I don't want to argue semantics since that bores me to tears, but the meaning of separate and severed are very close; so you're trying to split hairs here, which is fine. Just really boring.

    Separate: Forming or viewed as a unit apart or by itself: "two separate issues" and then Severed: To set or keep apart; divide or separate.

    Marriage existed before recorded history. Of course, it varies from one culture to the next, but in western culture it is usually Christianity. This fact is the very reason why gays are being discriminated against in the first place. This misguided and pathetically archaic belief that gays are sinners on their way to hell is still influencing this secular and civil institution. Who would have thought?
    if you dont like semantics don't talk them.
    I however am talking facts, legal facts that stand right now, all you have to give me is stories and qualifies and opinions etc etc, thats semantics.

    Fact remains legal marriage has nothing to do with religious marriage they are in fact separate and the constitution and laws make them that way. A magistrate or singing elvis can marry me tomorrow and religion would play ZERO role. Those are the facts.


    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    It's written on an official government document. So yeah-people can request that it not be mentioned. So what? God and marriage are connected. The "Moral Majority' has seen to it.
    no matter how many times you say it LEGAL marriage and god are totally separate, accept this fact or don't, it doesn't change LMAO

    God and RELIGIOUS marriage are connected, God is MEANINGLESS to LEGAL marriage. Not sure why these facts bother you?



    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    ha, that went over your head. I was saying that government intervention is often unnecessary. Not my argument.
    didnt go over my head you changed your stance and tried a back pedal




    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I could care less who agrees with me.

    Ad populum fallacies abound.
    the saying goes "I couldnt care less" meaning you dont care at all and its impossible for you to care any less

    if you say "I COULD care less" you are actually saying you care a little right now but you could care less

    and lastly people agreeing with you has nothing to do with FACTS, facts remain the same whether you agree or not and the only fallacies stated were in your post.
    Last edited by AGENT J; 06-04-11 at 02:05 AM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #1444
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    people tried to give it wings and it failed:

    The most recent Congressional vote to take place on the proposed Amendment occurred in the United States House of Representatives on July 18, 2006 when the Amendment failed 236 yea to 187 nay votes, falling short of the 290 yea votes required for passage in that body. The Senate has only voted on cloture motions with regard to the proposed Amendment, the last of which was on June 7, 2006 when the motion failed 49 yea to 48 nay votes, falling short of the 60 yea votes required to proceed to consideration of the Amendment and the 67 votes which would be required to pass the amendment.
    Federal Marriage Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And now with attitudes changing about gay marriage I doubt it will go any where.
    You just said yourself that "attitudes are changing." It's coming to a battle, in other words. What was the attitude in 2006? It wasn't even close, as I recall. DOMA had been in force for 10 years. There was no need to make any noise about an amendment.

  5. #1445
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    No matter the path I have faith in the right thing happening and thats eventually the constitution, freedoms, rights, liberities and equal rights prevailing while discrimination and bigotry loses.
    (applause)

    I am not a bigot. I do not hate gay people. They're not nuts about me when they figure out I'm a con - things get chilly fast - but I do not hate them. It's too bad you feel a need to characterize those who value trad marriage in such terms.

  6. #1446
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    You just said yourself that "attitudes are changing." It's coming to a battle, in other words. What was the attitude in 2006? It wasn't even close, as I recall. DOMA had been in force for 10 years. There was no need to make any noise about an amendment.

    Well the numbers of people against gay marriage has been steadily dropping quite dramatically and I have not heard any one pushing for the FMA.

  7. #1447
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    (applause)

    I am not a bigot. I do not hate gay people. They're not nuts about me when they figure out I'm a con - things get chilly fast - but I do not hate them. It's too bad you feel a need to characterize those who value trad marriage in such terms.
    whooooooa cowboy
    I apologize to you right now if you thought that was directed at you? I dont believe you have even stated your opinion on SSM or if you had to vote if you would or what you would vote.

    I was simply making a general statement LOL

    But to address your last part, YOUR value of traditional marriage would suffer ZERO impact just like YOUR value of traditional marriage suffers ZERO impact because of the high divorce rate and adultery.

    Its YOURS it cant be changed by OTHERS, I feel that's a cop out.

    Anything "I" value cant be influenced by YOU thats just silly IMO
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #1448
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    DOMA? Gayality has nothing to do with it.

    Saying one state can ignore another state's recognition of marriage is the constitutional problem.
    One of the problems, but not the only problem.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #1449
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Well the numbers of people against gay marriage has been steadily dropping quite dramatically and I have not heard any one pushing for the FMA.
    It fell shy in the 2006 House by 54 votes.

    54.

    I'm comfortable taking the matter to the ballot box. Are you?

  10. #1450
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    whooooooa cowboy
    I apologize to you right now if you thought that was directed at you? I dont believe you have even stated your opinion on SSM or if you had to vote if you would or what you would vote.

    I was simply making a general statement LOL

    But to address your last part, YOUR value of traditional marriage would suffer ZERO impact just like YOUR value of traditional marriage suffers ZERO impact because of the high divorce rate and adultery.

    Its YOURS it cant be changed by OTHERS, I feel that's a cop out.

    Anything "I" value cant be influenced by YOU thats just silly IMO
    I object to any characterization of an anti-SSM stance as "bigotry." I didn't feel personally insulted, but then isn't the implication in your original statement of wanting to defeat bigotry aimed at those who oppose SSM? As if hatred of gays is the only possible motivation? It's unfair and inaccurate.

    And it isn't my personal marriage that I consider devalued by SSM. It's the institution of marriage, and thereby family - and I mean blood family across generations - that is devalued.

    And forgive me, but I just don't - after all this time reading all these pro- SSM posts on DP - understand why gays suddenly feel they cannot be happy unless they are married. Where did this come from?

    If I were a homosexual man, I would understand that my lifestyle will not be traditional. And if I were lucky enough to find another man who cared for me, and who I wanted to spend my life with, how would a state-recognized marriage make our lives together any better? What would we lack, aside from some weird facade of "equality" with our opposite sex friends?
    Last edited by LuckyDan; 06-04-11 at 02:45 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •