View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 143 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1421
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The DOMA case is, if not a sure thing, close to it. That will be the catalyst.
    Agreed and the proper killing of DADT help snowball it.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #1422
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    Marriage is a state issue. Churches don't issue marriage licenses, states do. You are correct in that the federal government has no business in this though.

    It's pretty simple actually and yet everyone wants to make it so damned complicated. If states A, B, C, D and E want to legalize gay marriage, I have no problem with that. If states F, G, H, I and J want to ban gay marriage (or define marriage as being between a man and a woman), I have no problem with that either. If gays want to marry, move to a state that legalizes it. It's no different than if someone moves from state X to state Y because the tax laws are far more lenient in state Y than they are in state X.
    But then don't we have the "full faith and credit" matter to deal with? If DOMA goes, the only alternative will be a constitutional amendment to define marriage. That means going back to the voters. And a public debate. I'm looking forward to it, myself.

  3. #1423
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    But then don't we have the "full faith and credit" matter to deal with? If DOMA goes, the only alternative will be a constitutional amendment to define marriage. That means going back to the voters. And a public debate. I'm looking forward to it, myself.
    It doesnt have to mean that at all just like loving vs virgina didnt mean that.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #1424
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    It doesnt have to mean that at all just like loving vs virgina didnt mean that.
    You're counting on the general public seeing sexual preference (or wtf ever yall are calling it this year) as being on the same level as race. My bet is they won't.

    edit: And by "yall" of course, I mean "you people."
    Last edited by LuckyDan; 06-04-11 at 12:36 AM.

  5. #1425
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    Marriage is a state issue. Churches don't issue marriage licenses, states do. You are correct in that the federal government has no business in this though.

    It's pretty simple actually and yet everyone wants to make it so damned complicated. If states A, B, C, D and E want to legalize gay marriage, I have no problem with that. If states F, G, H, I and J want to ban gay marriage (or define marriage as being between a man and a woman), I have no problem with that either. If gays want to marry, move to a state that legalizes it. It's no different than if someone moves from state X to state Y because the tax laws are far more lenient in state Y than they are in state X.
    It's only a state issue if the federal government doesn't intervene with a constitutional amendment. Right now, as far as I know, states can and have allowed gays to marry.

    The federal government does not recognize same-sex marriage in the United States, but such marriages are recognized by some individual states.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    You could SAY its ultimately a religious issue but the fact remains its not.
    It is largely based on religion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    The easiest solution would be equal rights and not discriminating.
    Not really. Since people seem to love to discriminate, not discriminating is certainly not the easiest solution, although it may be the right one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    ANd marriage in general is a state issue but equal rights and discrimination is not and one that ruling is made similar to the ruling that was made on interracial marriage the states can stick it.

    lastly if you want government not to grant ANY marriages thats fine but thats a different topic.
    It's only a state issue if the fed says it is.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #1426
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    It is largely based on religion.

    nope its a legal one it has nothing to do with religion, once it became legal that alone nullified any such relation.



    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Not really. Since people seem to love to discriminate, not discriminating is certainly not the easiest solution, although it may be the right one.
    in this case since LEGAL marriage already exists it is the easiest unless you can so me an easier one.



    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    It's only a state issue if the fed says it is.
    uhm thats exactly what I said.
    Marriage in general is state
    civil rights, discrimination is fed
    if fed decides it about civil rights then the states lose as they should.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #1427
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,267
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    You're counting on the general public seeing sexual preference (or wtf ever yall are calling it this year) as being on the same level as race. My bet is they won't.

    edit: And by "yall" of course, I mean "you people."
    The question is how the courts will see it. And it doesn't have to be on the same level as race.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #1428
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    You're counting on the general public seeing sexual preference (or wtf ever yall are calling it this year) as being on the same level as race. My bet is they won't.

    edit: And by "yall" of course, I mean "you people."
    Uhm no?
    Im counting on the COURTS seeing it for exactly what it is, the general public is meaningless.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #1429
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    nope its a legal one it has nothing to do with religion, once it became legal that alone nullified any such relation.
    I disagree. Just because marriage became a civil issue, that fact alone did not and cannot severe that relationship. People who marry at a court house will swear to God their vows. God is mentioned so it is by nature religious.





    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    in this case since LEGAL marriage already exists it is the easiest unless you can so me an easier one.
    This is an issue that people will never agree on-like abortion, for instance. I'm only saying that government involvement, like most government involvement, is unnecessary.





    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    uhm thats exactly what I said.
    Marriage in general is state
    civil rights, discrimination is fed
    if fed decides it about civil rights then the states lose as they should.
    -ok.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #1430
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The question is how the courts will see it. And it doesn't have to be on the same level as race.
    How the courts will see DOMA? Or the question of SSM in general? For the scrutiny SSMers are claiming right to, it does have to be on the level of race. For DOMA, we're getting back to full faith and credit, which is the basis on which I would attack DOMA constitutionally. That BO and Holder haven't pleasantly surprises me.

    The poster I replied to mentioned Loving in response to my claim that an amendment will be called for by cons if DOMA is overturned. I know SSMers like to point to it, but I just don't think they'll win the public or legal debate in equating homosexuality to race.

    Appeals to equality, and logical contortions all day long, won't get them to the same footing as keeping two people of different races from marrying.
    Last edited by LuckyDan; 06-04-11 at 01:14 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •