View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 141 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1401
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    In certain states, a civil union provides the same benefits as a legal marriage.

    “Civil union” is a category of law that was created to extend rights to same-sex couples. These rights are recognized only in the state where the couple resides.

    Read more: A Primer on Same-Sex Marriage, Civil Unions, Domestic Partnerships, and Defense of Marriage Acts — Infoplease.com A Primer on Same-Sex Marriage, Civil Unions, Domestic Partnerships, and Defense of Marriage Acts — Infoplease.com



    People getting married in a church are officially considered married by the state, so I don't understand your statement.
    NO they are not because civil unions have been over turned or ruled over in case of death by family members etc etc

    Civil unions are NOT equal to marriage they do not carry the weight nor come with the same legal benefits / protections

    It seems there may be quite a bit you dont understand about legal marrage.

    People that get married in church are NOT considered married by the state unless they and the church choose it to be. Most churches have the power to marry just like a magistrate or ANYBODY that applies for the power but a religious marriage does NOT guarantee a legal marriage.

    Notice the part of the vows where the preacher, pastor, minister, Rabi etc etc will say "by the power invested in my by the state of blah blah blah, I know pronounce you husband and wife"

    With out that power given by the state and people applying for a marriage license religious marriage have NOTHING to do with legal marriages unless the for mentioned is done.

    SO no simply getting a religious marriage does NOT give you legal marriage, there are churches that marry gay couples right now and they are not LEGALLY married because that state currently discriminates against them.

    Also the reverse is also true, I can get married by singing elvis or a magistrate or anybody that has the power to do marriages and it will have nothing to do with religion unless I chose it to.

    Hopefully you understand now.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #1402
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Still, my "right to contract" is limited in many ways by the government. Saying that I can marry a person I am attracted to does not change that. My right to contract is regulated, just in a different way.
    So, tell me mac, would you say that the limitations that gay folk have to marrying someone are quantitatively equal to those that straight folks have?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #1403
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, but they are valid reasons for society at large to oppose it.
    Name them. And remember, we are talking about LOGISTICAL affects, not because it's offensive to you, or you don't like it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #1404
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This is a matter of opinion....I myself am often telling religious people I associate with that they "need to calm down" over this issue and many others, however, I am able to see there desire to influence the society they live in. You can't ignore the wishes of a sizeable portion of society just becuase you think they are being "silly".
    Sure I can.

    The religious can make their opinions known at the voting both.

    This is why I support civil unions....compromise.
    And I agree.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #1405
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    If churches could legally be forced to perform same sex marriages, do you believe they should be? I ask only out of pure curiosity and I'd like to see other SSM proponents answer this.
    Absolutely not under any circumstances. I don't think I could express my opposition to the government trying to force a church to do this, enough.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #1406
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    If churches could legally be forced to perform same sex marriages, do you believe they should be? I ask only out of pure curiosity and I'd like to see other SSM proponents answer this.
    Nope. They should not, unless the church in question is the state church (not applicable in the US, but certainly applicable in many countries) in which case it must comply with the law of the state from which it receives its benefits.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  7. #1407
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Ok, my initial question was not so much if such a challenge would actually win in court, I was more asking would you support forcing churches to perform SSM if it could be done?

    Why do I ask? Well, CT has made an argument regarding a homeless shelter that the shelter should not receive federal funding for refusing gays. Funding is, indeed, one way the federal government exerts control, so maybe I've asked the wrong question. Let me ask this one instead, do you all believe a church should lose its tax exempt status if it refused to perform SSM?
    Churches do not receive federal funding for performing wedding ceremonies, nor is that why they do not pay taxes. The two have nothing to do with each other.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #1408
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Churches do not receive federal funding for performing wedding ceremonies, nor is that why they do not pay taxes. The two have nothing to do with each other.
    I missed the federal funding part of the homeless shelter. Anytime a church receives federal funding for something, then it should have to abide by discrimination laws. If they are completely privately funded, then it should be up to them who they allow into their shelters unless they can show some other reason beyond religious objections for the discrimination (I'm thinking a funded place specifically for people of a certain sex for specific reasons, such as abuse).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #1409
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I missed the federal funding part of the homeless shelter. Anytime a church receives federal funding for something, then it should have to abide by discrimination laws. If they are completely privately funded, then it should be up to them who they allow into their shelters unless they can show some other reason beyond religious objections for the discrimination (I'm thinking a funded place specifically for people of a certain sex for specific reasons, such as abuse).
    Correct. That is not the case here however. No funding for, nor tax relief because of wedding ceremonies.

    I would not that I don't have a problem with churches adding small conditions to things like homeless shelters. In Grand Rapids MI, the big homeless shelter/soup kitchen expects homeless people to say a prayer together at meals, and something like that, I simply don't think is worth making an issue over, whether they get money from the government or not.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #1410
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Correct. That is not the case here however. No funding for, nor tax relief because of wedding ceremonies.

    I would not that I don't have a problem with churches adding small conditions to things like homeless shelters. In Grand Rapids MI, the big homeless shelter/soup kitchen expects homeless people to say a prayer together at meals, and something like that, I simply don't think is worth making an issue over, whether they get money from the government or not.
    While in some cases I totally agree and in others I dont not what it does do is show how grossly hypocritical and despicable some are.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •