View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 130 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1291
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    There are larger issues that affect more people and are more plausable to reach a conclussion in the near future then the issue of incest. That doesn't mean that the issue isn't legitimate, or worth while, what it does mean is that there's not enough time in a day, political capital in the world, or energy in me to debate EVERY SINGLE ISSUE AT ALL TIMES 24/7 A DAY on an internet message board.
    the same can be said of gay marriage, but you seem to make the time to argue for it
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #1292
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No one is calling for government force against homosexuals, either. I don't agree that it is a right, so therefore, I obviosly don't see the coercion.
    Actually, people are calling for continued government force against homosexuals by denying them the ability to contract with someone of the same sex in the act of marriage

    The law as it stands tangably negatively affects people who are wanting to marry someone of the same sex.

    How would allowing any two people to be married tangably negatively affect anyone?

  3. #1293
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    What is your scthick with equal rights?

    When we talk about equal rights, we are talking about the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution.



    That means we are talking about due process of law.

    Which means the levels of scrutiny and protected classes.

    Now I'm sure you meet lots of uneducated, dimwits who argue a vague notion of equality that would make Karl Marx and Alfred Kinsey proud, but that is generally not what people are talking about when they are talking about equal rights on this forum. Equal rights is a Constitutional argument. Not a cultural argument that all things in our culture must be equal.
    got it, so gays should have the same rights as straights, but to hell with polygamists and practicioners of incest
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #1294
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    the same can be said of gay marriage, but you seem to make the time to argue for it
    Yes. But there you go again Oscar, using a strawman like you always do. Where did I ever say that order of importance is a universal scale?

    Based on my own judgements, same sex marriage is of more importance to rectify in regards to a constitutional issues than incest for reasons I've stated.

    Now, for someone else, it may be entirely different. They may find it FAR more important to argue about incest. And more power to them. Everyone decides what's most important in their mind based on the criteria they set forth.

    Others may not care about social issues AT ALL and focus only on things like budgets and defense. That's also legitimate.

    However, you will not show me a single solitary individual on this forum...including yourself...who argues equal time, with equal passion, every single solitary issue that they believe is of even the smallest amount of importance in this country. Because its not physically possible while living an actual real life.

  5. #1295
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    got it, so gays should have the same rights as straights, but to hell with polygamists and practicioners of incest
    And by got it you mean "look, i'm oscar and I refuse to read anything people say and continue to build strawmans".

    When you want to act like an adult and actually debate and have a conversation, look me up.

    My thoughts with regards to polygamists are in this thread. Got a problem with it, start another thread instead of attempting to thread jack this one.

    My stance on Incest, which is that it should be legal, is also in this thread. My stance on why I don't talk about it as much as same sex marriage is in here as well. Got an issue with it, start your own thread and stop trying to thread jack this one.

    Enough of your pathetic little games built on refusing to actually read what people say and purposefully taking singular sentences out of context to attempt and derail the conversation.

  6. #1296
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    got it, so gays should have the same rights as straights, but to hell with polygamists and practicioners of incest
    Okay I have a challenge for you since you argue that it is comparable. Provide a Constitutional argument as strong as the one for gay marriage, to support polygamous marriages and incest marriages. If you can't, then I expect you to be intellectually honest about it and withdraw the comparison.

  7. #1297
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Okay I have a challenge for you since you argue that it is comparable. Provide a Constitutional argument as strong as the one for gay marriage, to support polygamous marriages and incest marriages. If you can't, then I expect you to be intellectually honest about it and withdraw the comparison.
    As strong as the one for gay marriage?

    The government is required to provide equal protection under the law. Both adults in an incestuous relationship are full reasoned adults who are perfectly capable of entering into a contract. The government has no legitiamte interest to deny them the ability to enter into a marriage the same as non-incestuous couples except based on the argument that their offspring has a higher percentage of potentially having a genetic disorder.

    Considering marriage:

    - Doesn't require one to have children.
    - Allows people with genetic disorders to get married and to have children
    - Allows older women to get married and to have children

    I don't think its rational to suggest that the government needs to ban incestuous couplings nor that it has an important interest in making sure married couples are ones who have a lower chance of producing genetically defective offspring. And seeing how it would take no other change in the law outside of removing the prohibition for incest, since all other aspects of it match a normal marriage, its not unduly laborous on the part of the government to enact such a change.

    Considering the argument for GAY marriage only meets the bottom teir of the equal protection clause, I think the argument for allowing incestuous marriages can defintiely be made just as strongly.

    That said, we're veering farther and farther off topic with this.

  8. #1298
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    As strong as the one for gay marriage?

    The government is required to provide equal protection under the law. Both adults in an incestuous relationship are full reasoned adults who are perfectly capable of entering into a contract. The government has no legitiamte interest to deny them the ability to enter into a marriage the same as non-incestuous couples except based on the argument that their offspring has a higher percentage of potentially having a genetic disorder.

    Considering marriage:

    - Doesn't require one to have children.
    - Allows people with genetic disorders to get married and to have children
    - Allows older women to get married and to have children

    I don't think its rational to suggest that the government needs to ban incestuous couplings nor that it has an important interest in making sure married couples are ones who have a lower chance of producing genetically defective offspring.

    Considering the argument for GAY marriage only meets the bottom teir of the equal protection clause, I think the argument for allowing incestuous marriages can defintiely be made just as strongly.

    That said, we're veering farther and farther off topic with this.
    I didn't ask you, I asked Oscar. He has been playing this incest slippery slope in every thread, so I want to see him make a decent Constitutional argument. I don't see why you would jump into my debate with him when I clearly laid the challenge out specifically to him. Anyways, that is a pretty weak argument. Same sex marriage bans easily meet gender discrimination, which is middle tier since sex is a protected class. There is also no conceivable harm allowing same sex couples to marry, whereas you admit that incest marriages can lead to genetic defects. Furthermore, there are other benefits to allowing people to marry outside of their family, such as increasing the sexual diversity of the population and bringing unrelated families together. Those benefits alone can serve as a state interest to deny incestuous marriages.

  9. #1299
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And by got it you mean "look, i'm oscar and I refuse to read anything people say and continue to build strawmans".

    When you want to act like an adult and actually debate and have a conversation, look me up.

    My thoughts with regards to polygamists are in this thread. Got a problem with it, start another thread instead of attempting to thread jack this one.

    My stance on Incest, which is that it should be legal, is also in this thread. My stance on why I don't talk about it as much as same sex marriage is in here as well. Got an issue with it, start your own thread and stop trying to thread jack this one.

    Enough of your pathetic little games built on refusing to actually read what people say and purposefully taking singular sentences out of context to attempt and derail the conversation.
    be honest. what you said was, because they aren't a big enough group you don't have time to care about them
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #1300
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    . Furthermore, there are other benefits to allowing people to marry outside of their family, such as increasing the sexual diversity of the population and bringing unrelated families together. Those benefits alone can serve as a state interest to deny incestuous marriages.
    and how do gay marriages provide any of these benefits?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •