View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 118 of 158 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually, I believe marriage is very much for making a family
    And many, many gay couples would agree with that assessment, I believe.

  2. #1172
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    to clarify - a couple can technically be considered a family without having children.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #1173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by welliott_08 View Post
    I really don't see how two homosexual couples getting married is anybody's business but their own. I believe in freedom and I just really can't see the logical reasoning for why this would ruin traditional marriage. As Americans we ignore a lot of things like other countries eating dog or Korea letting off missiles in the ocean but we all seem to take this personal and make it the biggest deal. It also seems that the ones who are most concerned with this are homophobic. And we all know what's wrong with homophobes: they are worried they themselves could be swayed to the gay side lol
    Interesting first post, and welcome to the forum.

  4. #1174
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It doesn't need to be more discriminatory then.

    45 mph in a 45 mph zone isn't speeding. 45 in a 34 mph zone is. 45 mph isn't any faster than 45 mph, but that doesn't mean its not speeding in one case.

    The discrimination may not be any more than in the case of age discrimination, but age discrimination is a lower tier of the EPC than age, so it doesn't necessarily NEED to be more discriminatory.
    Understood, however I still disagree that banning SSM is gender discrimination since both genders have equal access to the same rights and are both dissalowed the same rights equally.

    For the record though, I am waivering on whether or not it's equivalent to "seperate but equal" which I of course oppose.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #1175
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It doesn't matter if it is equal discrimination. A law stating that you are only allowed to marry your own race would be equal discrimination and would be equally as unconstitutional.
    I disagree simply becuase the idea of race is false. Genetically we are all the same, not so with gender.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #1176
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Actually Mac seems to be the one suggesting that as he's the one constantly trying to bring up everything but same sex marriage in hopes of somehow finding something that sticks.
    No, it's not about trying to find something that sticks. Many of the people (religious people) that I know complain mostly about SSM in terms of decency and and the harm that public indecency causes them personally. I attempted (however poorly) to draw parrallels to other indecent behavior to illustrate this, not to equate the behaviors. I personally don't "suffer" the harm many others do with any of these decency "infractions" but I do see how others legitiamtely do. I also recognize that society has the right to regulate the public behavior (not the private) of it's members.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #1177
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Because the access to polygamy is still legal as far as religious ceremonies are concerned.

    Access to multiple marriage contracts and the rights that go with those marriage contracts would be based on number of people allowed in a contract and/or number of contracts allowed at one time for each person. It is not a discrimination based on religion, since no religion is being denied access to their religious practice of marriage and every person is limited by number of/in marriage contract at a time. That puts the characteristic used for discrimination being number of/in contract, not religion.
    That doesn't explain why it's not discrimination that I can legally marry one person, but not two. Simply becuase current law does not adequately regulate it is not reason to discriminate, and for those religions that encourage polygamy...it's religious discrimination.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #1178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, it's not about trying to find something that sticks. Many of the people (religious people) that I know complain mostly about SSM in terms of decency and and the harm that public indecency causes them personally. I attempted (however poorly) to draw parrallels to other indecent behavior to illustrate this, not to equate the behaviors. I personally don't "suffer" the harm many others do with any of these decency "infractions" but I do see how others legitiamtely do. I also recognize that society has the right to regulate the public behavior (not the private) of it's members.
    The gay people aren't going to disappear. As long as they exist, "indecencies" will occur. Maybe if you explained that all the gays are currently being forced to sin by having sex out of wedlock, they'd take pity.

  9. #1179
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Problem is the benefits that both SSM and traditional marriage bring to individuals an society are not shared by poligamy. Therefore, there is no reason for state sponsership.
    Why would they not be shared by polygamy?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #1180
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    So what? It still gives straights specific rights not afforded gays... and don't go with your "gays can marry those of the opposite sex, too" argument, because I've already shot that to smithereens. Straights can marry who they are attracted to. Gays cannot.
    I don't think you have shot it to smithereens, and I'm straight and I can't marry everyone I am attracted to.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •