View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 111 of 158 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I can't make a much more clear argument that this...

    Marriage is a law.

    Text of Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution

    "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

    It should be pretty clear that same sex marriage bans deny me a right that every woman has, and that is the right to marry a man. Before any state can impose such a law on me, and discriminate solely on the basis of my sex, it must give me due process of law.

    And that means that those bans, which discriminate against me on the basis of my sex must meet the second level of scrutiny and serve some important state interest. To date, nobody has provided a reasonable state interest that is served by denying me equal protection of marriage.
    Women do not have the right to marry men. Men do not have the right to marry women.

    Everyone, even gays, have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex who is also otherwise qualified.

    The fact that gays generally don't want to exorcize that right is immaterial.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-01-11 at 12:10 AM.

  2. #1102
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Women do not have the right to marry men. Men do not have the right to marry women.

    Everyone, even gays, have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex who is also otherwise qualified.

    The fact that gays generally don't want to exorcize that right is immaterial.
    Which is what places it in a higher scrutiny level under the Equal Protection clause in the first place.

    If law makers came at it from the other side and just said that marriage was limited to heterosexuals only, I doubt many would argue that this wasn't unjust discrimination and unconstitutional. I find that to be really ironic actually.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #1103
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Women do not have the right to marry men. Men do not have the right to marry women.

    Everyone, even gays, have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex who is also otherwise qualified.

    The fact that gays generally don't want to exorcize that right is immaterial.
    It doesn't matter if it is equal discrimination. A law stating that you are only allowed to marry your own race would be equal discrimination and would be equally as unconstitutional.

  4. #1104
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    To be fair, gay pride is less about thinking sexuality is important and more about responding to societal attempts to make gay people feel ashamed of their sexuality. It's the same with black pride and all other kinds of social "pride". It's just a response to the attempt to shame. I don't think most gay people think their sexuality is any more important than most straight people do.
    And, yet, CT compared it to a religion. /shrug
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  5. #1105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It doesn't matter if it is equal discrimination. A law stating that you are only allowed to marry your own race would be equal discrimination and would be equally as unconstitutional.
    Not according to Loving.

    The reasons given for supporting IRM failed, not the concept of equal protection. If you're argument were true, then any and every restriction on marriage would be unconstitutional. As that's where your argument necessarily goes, 'anyone marrying anyone' is the logical consequence.

    There are arguments which win the SSM debate, but yours is not one of them.

  6. #1106
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I agree, and this is why "pride" events are more socially acceptable among marginalized minorities vs. the majority.

    Although to be fair, sexuality is a pretty big theme at gay pride events so X isn't completely off base.
    That's fine, be as proud as you wanna be. Just people don't tend to hold "pride" events in things they don't take pride in, in this case, being gay. BTW knowing your views on national pride, do you view gay pride the same way.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #1107
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    And, yet, CT compared it to a religion. /shrug
    More of your poor reading comprehension. Go back and read it. I was talking about a small minority of gay people. Not most gay people.

  8. #1108
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Federally they are noir allowed to have it recognized by the state
    You missed my point, Zyphlin. There is no law out there that precludes gay people from getting married.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  9. #1109
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Not according to Loving.

    The reasons given for supporting IRM failed, not the concept of equal protection. If you're argument were true, then any and every restriction on marriage would be unconstitutional. As that's where your argument necessarily goes, 'anyone marrying anyone' is the logical consequence.

    There are arguments which win the SSM debate, but yours is not one of them.
    Not at all. Sex is a protected class. "Anyone marrying anyone" would not apply since "anyone" is not a protected class.

    If you are going to try to comment on Constitutional law, then you should probably review the levels of scrutiny.

    http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/project...pcscrutiny.htm

    1. STRICT SCRUTINY (The government must show that the challenged classification serves a compelling state interest and that the classification is necessary to serve that interest.):
    A. Suspect Classifications:
    1. Race
    2. National Origin
    3. Religion (either under EP or Establishment Clause analysis)
    4. Alienage (unless the classification falls within a recognized "political community" exception, in which case only rational basis scrutiny will be applied).
    B. Classifications Burdening Fundamental Rights
    1. Denial or Dilution of the Vote
    2. Interstate Migration
    3. Access to the Courts
    4. Other Rights Recognized as Fundamental
    2. MIDDLE-TIER SCRUTINY (The government must show that the challenged classification serves an important state interest and that the classification is at least substantially related to serving that interest.):
    Quasi-Suspect Classifications:
    1. Gender
    2. Illegitimacy
    3. MINIMUM (OR RATIONAL BASIS) SCRUTINY (The govenment need only show that the challenged classification is rationally related to serving a legitimate state interest.)
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 06-01-11 at 12:32 AM.

  10. #1110
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    More of your poor reading comprehension. Go back and read it. I was talking about a small minority of gay people. Not most gay people.
    You go back and show me where you made that distinction.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •