View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 11 of 158 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #101
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Your liberal, you think more and bigger government programs are going to bring equality. I'm not liberal, and I think less government social engineering is going to bring equality.

    You can argue about laws on the books all day long, but your position is less rational and logical than mine; in fact, your argument is based largely on emotion and inconsistency caused by an extreme sense of urgency.
    The only way to have true equality is to treat people equally under the law. To have the laws apply the same to one person, as it does to the next. I won't deny that I have a pretty large emotional stake in this issue, but I advocate for SSM based on a logical thought process about how the laws in this country work.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #102
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Once you ask each why they believe their position to be logical, you will find that the former is and the latter isn't... at least in the sense that it isn't universally logical. It may be logical because it is logical for YOU to accept the tenets of your religion, but in a universal sense, that is a faith based belief... completely separate from logic.
    Damn it CC, finding the words to describe how I basically feel when I couldn't

    It being almost 5 in the morning probably doesn't help.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #103
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    You say expand the goverment, I say drop the program(ing). I believe we are both wanting the same thing - equal rights.

    However, I find your approach to be self-defeating and counter-productive.

    Source > symptom

    Stop being emotional, and let's solve this problem at the source.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-30-11 at 05:50 AM.

  4. #104
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You say expand the goverment, I say drop the program. I believe we are both wanting the same thing - equal rights.

    However, I find your approach to be self-defeating and counter-productive.

    Source > symptom

    Stop being emotional, and let's solve this problem at the source.
    I believe the institution of marriage helps the country as a whole though.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #105
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Damn it CC, finding the words to describe how I basically feel when I couldn't

    It being almost 5 in the morning probably doesn't help.
    I've been saying something like this a few times, on a few threads, all weekend. It's starting to come naturally.

    But it's really true. I know that you are religious. So am I. How do YOU resolve the conflict between your faith and being pro-SSM? How do you separate faith from logic?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #106
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I believe the institution of marriage helps the country as a whole though.
    Ok, that helps with your consistency. I disagree.


    To the point: is my position illogical or irrational?

  7. #107
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You say expand the goverment, I say drop the program(ing). I believe we are both wanting the same thing - equal rights.

    However, I find your approach to be self-defeating and counter-productive.

    Source > symptom

    Stop being emotional, and let's solve this problem at the source.
    Well, if you are still talking about civil unions being for everyone, civil unions are governmentally sanctioned. I'm not sure how this is not in conflict with what you are saying. Can you explain?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #108
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I've been saying something like this a few times, on a few threads, all weekend. It's starting to come naturally.

    But it's really true. I know that you are religious. So am I. How do YOU resolve the conflict between your faith and being pro-SSM? How do you separate faith from logic?
    I don't, I believe homosexuality isn't a sin. So there is no conflict for me.

    To be honest, I'm really tired debating this subject, I don't talk about this issue hardly at all in real life, I really wish the law would just hurry up and change so I won't have this need to debate people about this.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #109
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Well, if you are still talking about civil unions being for everyone, civil unions are governmentally sanctioned. I'm not sure how this is not in conflict with what you are saying. Can you explain?
    IF we need some kind of government contract for sharing responsibility, we can go with civil unions. To some extent this is not so different than marriage, but I believe it is in an important way - it drops all the baggage and takes 'marriage' (some read: religion) out of government.

    My solution is to address the source of the problem. Addressing a symptom of the problem by expanding the problem is not reasonable to me. I do not see expanding the source of the problem as a rational solution. Let's just accept that the word 'marriage' might have religious connotations and drop it.

    If someone cannot see the above(s) as a logical and rational objection to SSM, that's their (overly-emotional) problem.


    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    If you think a government institution isn't right, that is a fair point, but is the solution really to treat people unequally under the law in order to keep that institution from growing>
    I'm not arguing to keep things the same. Both of us are arguing for a change, but only one of us is arguing to expand governmental social engineering as some kind of (emotionally misguided) solution.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-30-11 at 06:07 AM.

  10. #110
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    And I have yet to see someone argue against SSM logically.
    There is some room to do so if one focuses entirely on the reproductive function of marriage while ignoring the others; it is a given that homosexual marriage and homosexuality in general does nothing to sustain the birth rate.

    I consider this approach short-sighted, personally. But it seems that our preoccupations with biological parentage and romantic love distract us from a functional viewpoint on marriage.

Page 11 of 158 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •