View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 107 of 158 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1061
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Rather than pull a CT on you, I'm going to assume you mean opposition to ssm is unconstitutional.
    Nope. Opposition to SSM is perfectly constitutional.

    The Government not allowing SSM to me is what's unconstitutional.

    You're absolutely within your constitutional right to oppose it. I'll never begrudge someone the fact they oppose something. I will definitely have issues though if they expect me to think their idiotic reasons for opposition that can't actually stand up to reality should be something I just "accept" as legitimate.

    You are constitutionally allowed to be against Same Sex Marriage because Jooboo, the giant cuban man in the sky told you through smoke rings that you should be opposed to it. I've got no issue with that.

    However, if you can't give me any constitutional argument why its not gender discrimination other than Jooboo says its bad and therefore it'd hurt you if it was allowed, I'm not going to think your position is smart, constitutional, or intelligent. And if you tried to tell me it was legitimate I'd laugh at it, show you why its not, and ridicule it if you continue to push an issue that is against the constitution. And god help you if you later try to proclaim the constitution as your basis for allowing something in the future.

    However, the act of being opposed to SSM is not in and of itself unconstitutional and I don't have any issue with someone having that stance in a general sense.

  2. #1062
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    However, if you can't give me any constitutional argument why its not gender discrimination other than Jooboo says its bad and therefore it'd hurt you if it was allowed, I'm not going to think your position is smart, constitutional, or intelligent.
    Didn't I make this exact same argument in another thread and you called it a "rant"?

  3. #1063
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Stating "It harms me" does not mean there is harm. Not to a level that I would require to think it legitimate, IE something that can actually be measured or proven or shown in some way other than a claim by an individual. If they can't....like you apparently...actually SHOW how it harms them in some fashion, then their words are hollow and irrelevant.

    This is ESPECIALLY true when they're asking me to believe nothing but their FEELINGS as an excuse to violate the constitution.

    "No, I'm sorry it makes you feel really really sad that black people are treated like humans...no you can't continue to discriminate against them".

    Sorry your feelings are hurt mac. Your being sensitive isn't a reason the constitution should be shat upon.
    My feelings aren't hurt. I oppose SSM but if it's made legal I'll live. You'd be surprised, but in other circles...it's usually me taking your position to people far more convinced of this harm than I am.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #1064
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Jerry! Dude, I haven't seen you in forever. Wanna debate some old bud? I've ignored half my debating partners because they have been lying and it's getting kind of boring.

  5. #1065
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Nope. Opposition to SSM is perfectly constitutional.

    The Government not allowing SSM to me is what's unconstitutional.

    You're absolutely within your constitutional right to oppose it. I'll never begrudge someone the fact they oppose something. I will definitely have issues though if they expect me to think their idiotic reasons for opposition that can't actually stand up to reality should be something I just "accept" as legitimate.

    You are constitutionally allowed to be against Same Sex Marriage because Jooboo, the giant cuban man in the sky told you through smoke rings that you should be opposed to it. I've got no issue with that.

    However, if you can't give me any constitutional argument why its not gender discrimination other than Jooboo says its bad and therefore it'd hurt you if it was allowed, I'm not going to think your position is smart, constitutional, or intelligent. And if you tried to tell me it was legitimate I'd laugh at it, show you why its not, and ridicule it if you continue to push an issue that is against the constitution. And god help you if you later try to proclaim the constitution as your basis for allowing something in the future.

    However, the act of being opposed to SSM is not in and of itself unconstitutional and I don't have any issue with someone having that stance in a general sense.
    I don't believe it to be gender discrimination, I get why you do, I just don't buy it.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #1066
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Do you think being straight gives you specific rights?

    You walk into it EVERY time, mac. EVERY time.
    No, being straight does not give one specific rights, because rights are not based on sexual orientation. Just because you're hetero doesn't mean you can marry just any opposite-sex person you want. There are all kinds of restrictions on the 'right to contract' as no right is universal or absolute.

    This includes the right to marry.

  7. #1067
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Didn't I make this exact same argument in another thread and you called it a "rant"?
    No, since your argument was assuming unquestionably that the law is unquestionably unconstitutional, and thus anyone supporting it for any reasons other than what you deem okay is a "wolf". You were criticizing them not for their HAVING the disagreement for non-constitutional reasons. I have no problem with someone suggesting they're opposed to Same Sex Marriage because of religion, nor do I think they're a wolf if they do it. However, I would have a prolbem only if they told me it could violate the constitution BECAUSE of their religious reasons.

    If they simply think that its NOT unconstitutional, and at that point oppose it due to their religion. SO be it. I'll debate them, but I don't think they're wolves. However, in that case I'd want to know at least why they think its unconstitutional.

    I disagree greatly with Mac on this. I think he's absolutely wrong regarding the EPC, and I think his arguments make absolutely no sense. However, I don't think he's a "wolf" or some horrible person or being entirely irrational, because his religious views aren't being used to justify violating the constitution because his constitutional views say there is no violation.

    I fully understand my views on the EPC are my OPINION at this point. I don't go into the conversation assuming they're absolutely correct, like you appear to do in your post you reference. However, if someone disagrees with my opinion I like to know their reasons why and will debate them on it.

  8. #1068
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    What kind of harm will it cause them? Do tell.

    Will they become physically hurt by seeing SSM legalized? Will they be forced to be involved in a SSM? How exactly are they going to be harmed? Will it be due to their own actions and choices? What exactly is it that will cause the harm and why wouldn't that harm be caused from calling same sex relationships at the level of marriage civil unions instead of marriage?
    I imagine no more harm than seeing someone walking down the street naked, or having sex on the beach.....I guess it's all perception...
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #1069
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I don't believe it to be gender discrimination, I get why you do, I just don't buy it.
    And none of your arguments make sense (IE, discrimination isn't happening despite you agreeing that a group of people is being denied something based on their classification as a certain group of people which is text book discrimination....or suggesting that something our form of government specifically rarely allows for is somehow an "important government interest") and are completely illogical and nonsensical, but they're at least rooted in whatever cooky way you apparently view definitions and the constitution.

    But I understand you think its perfectly constitutional, and since its constitutional its okay to oppose it on religious grounds.

  10. #1070
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You COMPLETELY misread my post. Read it again.
    Quite right, so I did, badly. I apologize

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •