View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 105 of 158 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #1041
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Appeal to Nature

    Pornography/nudity is illegal to display to a minor. Minors, and their parents, have a reasonable expectation not to be subjected to illegal activity while going through public areas. As such, engaging in said act in public is illegal.

    It'd be similar to why, if you wanted to sit in your house and chuck knives all over the place the police wouldn't do anything to you. However, if you went into the middle of the city square and started doing it you'd likely be arrested, because your action is now endangering people by directing illegal activity their way.
    There are plenty of places where children are not shielded from nudity or even pornography. Holland and France come to mind, they seem to be doing, ok.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #1042
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    In this particular instance for either side, absolutely not.

    In a general sense, sure...there's nothing in our society that is close to enough to make me think such would happen.

    As was shown in a recent poll, FAR more people opposed interracial marriage than oppose same sex marriage at the moment and we didn't have violent civil war or upheaval then. Its absolutely laughably retarded to even imply that such is a factor currently in an anywhere serious level.
    Does it have to get to actual violent upheaval or civil war to be detrimental to the country or society?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #1043
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    There are plenty of places where children are not shielded from nudity or even pornography. Holland and France come to mind, they seem to be doing, ok.
    There are places where stoning a woman for having sex with someone before marriage is legal...your point.

    Or are you going to change your argument and the goal posts AGAIN and now switch to porn laws.

    How about you stop playing these pathetic games and attempts to go further and further off topic and you get to your point?

  4. #1044
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Does it have to get to actual violent upheaval or civil war to be detrimental to the country or society?
    I would not support violating the constitution simply to stop people from having their feelings hurt, even if it is going to lead to civil war.

    If it was really that big of an issue then it wouldn't be a problem to get a constitutional amendment barring the issue.

    As I've said, I've seen absolutely nothing concrete suggesting anywhere near a "harm" to society if gays are allowed to be married and let alone more harm then there is potentially in continuing to discriminate against same sex marriage. Perhaps if you could provide something it'd change my mind. But I'm tired of your round about game where you're not saying anything and just keep throwing spaghetti against a wall hoping something will stick while never actually making any legitimate argument.

  5. #1045
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Individuals who wish to marry only one person is able to fulfill their wish if they so choose. Individuals who wish to marry multiple people are not able to fulfill their wish. As such, they're being discriminated against based on the number of people they'd like to marry.

    Unfortunately for them, "number of people one wishes to marry" is not a protected group under the EPC and even if it was it'd be at the absolute bottom tier which is very simple to suggest what the government should be able to perform said discrimination.
    Okay, I get that. It's more indirect discrimination than direct discrimination though since no one has the ability to fulfill that wish as opposed to being a right afforded to some, but not to all as is the case with the gender discrimination in DOMA.

  6. #1046
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    There are places where stoning a woman for having sex with someone before marriage is legal...your point.

    Or are you going to change your argument and the goal posts AGAIN and now switch to porn laws.

    How about you stop playing these pathetic games and attempts to go further and further off topic and you get to your point?
    I'm not moving any goal posts....there are things that are illegal that cause no real harm in the US, simply because America in general wants it that way. That is the point, not pornography.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #1047
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Which raises another point...why is it illegal to have sex in public? Sex is perfectly natural, is it not?
    Why do you keep on bringing up these other issues? Many of the people who are for SSM are for, at least some, of the things that you bring up. Some of the other issues that you bring up have are least able to be defended with some legitimate state interest (whether that state interest actually should prevail over the right to do the thing is what is in contention).

    The momentum to tackle these social issues may not be as big or as important in the eyes of most as compared to SSM because preventing SSM actually does harm to people every day that it isn't allowed. Every day there is someone who has a same sex partner that they need marriage rights for some reason to cover them and their partner that they don't have and can't get due to discriminatory laws.

    Every law needs to be measured for discrimination or unconstitutionality on its own merits. Just because a law hasn't been challenged yet or hasn't been overturned yet, doesn't mean those laws are automatically Constitutional and just laws.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #1048
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    How about you stop playing these pathetic games and attempts to go further and further off topic and you get to your point?
    ROFL! You think he has a point? His point is to see how long he can get people to still debate with him when he isn't presenting a single decent or rational argument.

  9. #1049
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why do you keep on bringing up these other issues? Many of the people who are for SSM are for, at least some, of the things that you bring up. Some of the other issues that you bring up have are least able to be defended with some legitimate state interest (whether that state interest actually should prevail over the right to do the thing is what is in contention).

    The momentum to tackle these social issues may not be as big or as important in the eyes of most as compared to SSM because preventing SSM actually does harm to people every day that it isn't allowed. Every day there is someone who has a same sex partner that they need marriage rights for some reason to cover them and their partner that they don't have and can't get due to discriminatory laws.

    Every law needs to be measured for discrimination or unconstitutionality on its own merits. Just because a law hasn't been challenged yet or hasn't been overturned yet, doesn't mean those laws are automatically Constitutional and just laws.
    Because non physical harm is exceedingly difficult to illustrate.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #1050
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I'm not moving any goal posts....there are things that are illegal that cause no real harm in the US, simply because America in general wants it that way. That is the point, not pornography.
    Actually, I don't think there's anything that's illegal that causes NO harm, its just the level of harm potentially there and what is acceptable or not.

    However, not all those things are necessarily unconstitutional as I feel same sex marriage is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •