View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 10 of 158 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #91
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,342

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    Frankly, I think this entire "anti-marriage" argument is a bunch of frustrated conservatives saying that if they have to share their toys with gays, they're going to pack them up and go home.

    Marriage is a fundamental institution in any civilized society and must be preserved at all costs.
    I'm not a conservative. I oppose social engineering.

  2. #92
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Marriage has no place in the government. Expanding the "service" to others would only serve to entrench a flawed system.

    Is that illogical? Irrational?
    If you think a government institution isn't right, that is a fair point, but is the solution really to treat people unequally under the law in order to keep that institution from growing>
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #93
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well, in that it has to do with reconciling it with my faith, I don't think there's much you can help with (I do sincerely appreciate the offer). I just wish a discussion about this didn't have to be met with such hostility if you're not immediately and whole-heartedly in favor. /shrug

    Ah well, as I've said, it's an emotional issue. What can ya do?
    What is the conflict for you? I've actually always wanted to start a thread in the Abortion Forum like this... since I am really on the fence about abortion. But, you have an opportunity here, to present your conflict and have people, hopefully, give you straight feedback and try to help you expand your positions... either pro or anti. Give it a shot.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #94
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,342

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    If you think a government institution isn't right, that is a fair point, but is the solution really to treat people unequally under the law in order to keep that institution from growing>
    You propose that we treat people equal by expanding a social engineering project in the government.

    I propose that we treat people equally by eliminating marriage (and all of its baggage) from the governmental lexicon.


    Which position is more rational? Which is more logical?
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-30-11 at 05:31 AM.

  5. #95
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'm pro-gay rights. I do not see the anti position as "faith based". I see it as sociologically based. I think the anti position is wrong, but I see where they are coming from.


    FWIW, I think there should only be civil unions (sanctioned by the state), for everyone. I find this to be BY FAR the most rational position. I think that the argument for SSM is illogical and irrational on most points.

    With the exception of your belief that the anti position is not faith based (I see it as being so) I agree with your position, completely. My position on SSM is that EVERYTHING sanctioned by the government should be called a civil union. Marriage should be left strictly to religion... therefore if a religion wants to sanction SSM, great, and if it doesn't, great. Complete separation.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #96
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    And I'm saying it's not a purely logical issue.
    And this is completely true. Thing is you really can't mix the two. That's what makes this debate so complicated.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #97
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well "logic" is subjective. To you, SSM is perfectly logical (and I totally get why, I really do). To someone else, the thought of two people of the same sex getting married defies logic.
    And I have yet to see someone argue against SSM logically.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #98
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You propose that we treat people equal by expanding a social engineering project in the government.

    I propose that we treat people equally by eliminating marriage (and all of its baggage) from the governmental lexicon.


    Which position is more rational? Which is more logical?
    You can certainly advocate for that, but while marriage laws are still on the books, we should treat every citizen equally in that regards.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #99
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well "logic" is subjective. To you, SSM is perfectly logical (and I totally get why, I really do). To someone else, the thought of two people of the same sex getting married defies logic.
    Once you ask each why they believe their position to be logical, you will find that the former is and the latter isn't... at least in the sense that it isn't universally logical. It may be logical because it is logical for YOU to accept the tenets of your religion, but in a universal sense, that is a faith based belief... completely separate from logic.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #100
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,342

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You can certainly advocate for that, but while marriage laws are still on the books, we should treat every citizen equally in that regards.
    Your liberal, you think more and bigger government programs are going to bring equality. I'm not liberal, and I think less government social engineering is going to bring equality.

    You can argue about laws on the books all day long, but your position on SSM is less rational and logical than mine; in fact, your argument is based largely on emotion and inconsistency caused by an extreme sense of urgency.

    Untimately, your position is counter-productive; it is both irrational and illogical. It is self-defeating, as it reinforces the government's authority over relationships. Stop addressing the symptoms and go for the source.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-30-11 at 05:46 AM.

Page 10 of 158 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •