View Poll Results: Are Entitlement Neccessary?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 50.00%
  • No

    14 35.00%
  • Sometimes.

    5 12.50%
  • Don't know.

    1 2.50%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 146

Thread: Basic Shelter/Food/Medical Entitlements Neccessary in First World Governments?

  1. #71
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Basic Shelter/Food/Medical Entitlements Neccessary in First World Governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Not really.
    The basics are easily provided by the lions share of people, for themselves.

    Housing, basic comfortable housing is affordable.
    Now if you're talking about living like "the Jones", no it's not affordable.

    Food, definitely affordable.
    Water is the same.

    There is a popular but mostly untrue myth that everyone needs comprehensive medical care, as a basic need.
    That is blatantly false.
    The biggest gains in medical care have come from vaccines, that have prevented the most deadly diseases.
    Until someone dies of an infection

  2. #72
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Basic Shelter/Food/Medical Entitlements Neccessary in First World Governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Until someone dies of an infection
    They happen all the time though and a lot/most people don't die.

    You guys take for granted that common medicines are a convenience and that most of the stuff that effects real life expectancy and health is easily affordable for 95%+ people.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #73
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Basic Shelter/Food/Medical Entitlements Neccessary in First World Governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by empireofreason View Post
    You have words. No evidence. I have words, but evidence. Propaganda has no evidence.
    we need to keep at least one nation somewhat free of euro socialist idiocy



  4. #74
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Basic Shelter/Food/Medical Entitlements Neccessary in First World Governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    They happen all the time though and a lot/most people don't die.

    You guys take for granted that common medicines are a convenience and that most of the stuff that effects real life expectancy and health is easily affordable for 95%+ people.
    Its not taking it for granted, its from living with debt caused by the system and seeing people who have died due to denial of care only because the person didn't have insurance and the hospital wouldn't do the operation/procedure without all of the money up front.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Basic Shelter/Food/Medical Entitlements Neccessary in First World Governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Its not taking it for granted, its from living with debt caused by the system and seeing people who have died due to denial of care only because the person didn't have insurance and the hospital wouldn't do the operation/procedure without all of the money up front.
    Hospitals clearly take patients without insurance.

    I've experienced this with a person this weekend.
    So that isn't entirely true.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #76
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Basic Shelter/Food/Medical Entitlements Neccessary in First World Governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    we need to keep at least one nation somewhat free of euro socialist idiocy
    If not, some other country will have to replace us as dead last, in the industrialized world, in terms of healthcare, literacy, poverty, etc. The horror.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  7. #77
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Basic Shelter/Food/Medical Entitlements Neccessary in First World Governments?

    I'd like to point out that these types of programs are ONLY POSSIBLE in industrialized nations.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #78
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Basic Shelter/Food/Medical Entitlements Neccessary in First World Governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by NGNM85 View Post
    If not, some other country will have to replace us as dead last, in the industrialized world, in terms of healthcare, literacy, poverty, etc. The horror.
    When the standard is euro socialist stupidity, it's a good thing to be last.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #79
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Basic Shelter/Food/Medical Entitlements Neccessary in First World Governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    When the standard is euro socialist stupidity, it's a good thing to be last.
    First of all, being that I am a Socialist, the very word 'Socialism' isn't like a psychological panic button, or a red flag that sends me into paroxysms of irrational rage and terror, as it does in some people. Second, none of the European countries, at present, can honestly be described as 'Socialist.' Third, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm going to take the radical stance and say I'm actually in favor of lowering illiteracy, poverty, making healthcare more accessible, etc.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  10. #80
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Basic Shelter/Food/Medical Entitlements Neccessary in First World Governments?

    Quote Originally Posted by NGNM85 View Post
    First of all, being that I am a Socialist, the very word 'Socialism' isn't like a psychological panic button, or a red flag that sends me into paroxysms of irrational rage and terror, as it does in some people. Second, none of the European countries, at present, can honestly be described as 'Socialist.' Third, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm going to take the radical stance and say I'm actually in favor of lowering illiteracy, poverty, making healthcare more accessible, etc.
    If you lower literacy any more how are the people going to know where the doctors are?

    How do you lower poverty?

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •