View Poll Results: When you realize you are debating someone who may be mentally ill, you

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep going

    1 5.88%
  • Pull back

    5 29.41%
  • See if you can trigger a meltdown

    3 17.65%
  • Check to see if they're okay

    1 5.88%
  • Ask Captain Courtesy to see if they're okay

    2 11.76%
  • Other

    5 29.41%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Mental Illness

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Mental Illness

    Ever suddenly realize that there's a really good chance that you are baiting somebody who is mentally ill?

  2. #2
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Mental Illness

    All the time.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Mental Illness

    Okay, there's a poll up now.

    Twice in recent history I've decided not to poke the possible patient.

  4. #4
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Mental Illness

    Occasionally. Though sometimes the mentally ill aren't as fragile as we would think. During my dark bouts of depression what somebody said was almost unheard. Positive or negative, it didn't affect me.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Mental Illness

    But what if the reason you came to the conclusion was because they started coming undone? I don't want to further aggravate somebody who's already in anguish (even if what's coming across the pike is something else entirely).

  6. #6
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Mental Illness

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Okay, there's a poll up now.

    Twice in recent history I've decided not to poke the possible patient.
    I wondered why you backed off of me.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #7
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: Mental Illness

    As a forum junkie, yeah, it's happened a couple times. Sometimes I and others on the thread wouldn't realize it at first, and then suddenly a nuclear-magnitude meltdown of semi-coherence. Then you feel bad for not catching it.

    I'm a little more aware of it now. If it's abusive I report it, if it's just somewhat unhinged I leave it.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Mental Illness

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I wondered why you backed off of me.
    "Lord, is it I?"

  9. #9
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Mental Illness

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Occasionally. Though sometimes the mentally ill aren't as fragile as we would think. During my dark bouts of depression what somebody said was almost unheard. Positive or negative, it didn't affect me.
    Tessa, I want some of your blood.

    When you say that it didn't affect you. Whata mean?

    Do you think all forms of mental illness are exaggerated by those who live with them.?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Mental Illness

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    As a forum junkie, yeah, it's happened a couple times. Sometimes I and others on the thread wouldn't realize it at first, and then suddenly a nuclear-magnitude meltdown of semi-coherence. Then you feel bad for not catching it.

    I'm a little more aware of it now. If it's abusive I report it, if it's just somewhat unhinged I leave it.
    It's hard to back off when their (perceived) illness has them attempting to engage you with every post. I just click on the button to respond, say what I want and hit the same button again, thereby erasing my post.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •