View Poll Results: Political correctness - Good or bad?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beneficial

    6 15.00%
  • Restrictive

    24 60.00%
  • Don't know/care

    4 10.00%
  • Politically incorrect

    7 17.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77

Thread: Political Correctness - Mind Control?

  1. #31
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-07-11 @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12

    Re: Political Correctness - Mind Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Depends on what a person means by "political correctness".

    To me, PCism is trying to stop people from being offensive, like fines/extra punishment for racial slurs and/or sexually suggestive things (words, pics, whatever) or not recognizing that words can have different meanings and just because a certain word is used to describe something does not mean it is meant to be offensive in any way or looking for something to be offended by. There are places where these things shouldn't be allowed,
    So.................. sometimes the First Amendment does not apply?

  2. #32
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Political Correctness - Mind Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by trashwagon View Post
    Then you go along to get along. Not exactly honest, wouldn't you say?
    How so? When I am in class or work I am expected to act professionally, so I do. When I am hanging out with my Poli Sci friends, who make fun of PC stuff, we aren't nearly as PC because our group is just that way. They are two different situations and just because in one place I act professionally does not mean I am being dishonest. In a social setting with people who actually study the stuff with me we all know how we actually feel and we just joke around.

  3. #33
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-07-11 @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12

    Re: Political Correctness - Mind Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    How about if we didn't have any political correctness? Suppose everyone who was racist and hated black people could still say the N word. Wouldn't that make it a hec of a lot easier to spot the assholes so we knew who to associate with right off the bat.
    Damn near every black I know and work with use the word everyday all the time in their normal conversation, does that make them racist or politically incorrect?

  4. #34
    Guru

    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,922
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Political Correctness - Mind Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I am a strong believer in you do not have a right to not be offended.

    THAT is true political correctness.

  5. #35
    Guru

    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,922
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Political Correctness - Mind Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by trashwagon View Post
    So.................. sometimes the First Amendment does not apply?

    Of course it does.

    There is no law that says you have to be "politically correct" (Thank God). And there is no law that says you must not be (or as quoted above - have a right not to be) offended by the actions of another.

    "Political correctness" is (are?) informal cultural standards enforced by no one specific.

    They are an expression of the spirit of the age. Some good... lots of bad. They are what they are. My thoughts are: Give them no more credence than you feel they are worth.

  6. #36
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Political Correctness - Mind Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by trashwagon View Post
    So.................. sometimes the First Amendment does not apply?
    Absolutely.

    If you are in class or even at school, for those still in K-12, you should not be making racial slurs or showing nude pics around or disrupting class. Because there is a specific purpose for you and everyone else to be there, and it is to learn. Making others feel uncomfortable or hated or disrupting class negatively affects the learning process. Punishment should be used as needed to correct the situation.

    If you are conducting government business, such as in court or in some sort of meeting, then you are there for a specific purpose. Being rude to those who are trying to help you conduct that business should be considered intolerable and a waste of their time. And if you are the government employee that is being rude, then you are not doing your job to the best of your ability. If that gets you fired, it is on you.

    I am actually not fond of the FCC, but I do think that ratings and/or adviseries about the content of media should be given for you to be able to decide if you want to watch something and/or whether you feel it is appropriate for your children to watch. When I went to see the movie Black Snake Moan in the theater, they messed up and started playing The Astronaut Farmer in our theater by mistake. After seeing the opening scene of Black Snake Moan, I remember thinking that I hope to God that they didn't switch the two and start playing that one in place of the The Astronaut Farmer, because I could certainly understand parents being a little upset at their children seeing a sex scene as the opening scene when they were supposed to be watching a family movie.

    And I specifically stated that restrictions should be few and far between. They should be shown to have a legitimate purpose, as I described above.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #37
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Political Correctness - Mind Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by trashwagon View Post
    So.................. sometimes the First Amendment does not apply?
    One of those oh so clever comments that sounds good until you look at it. The first amendment is superseded in a number of cases. There are things from when I was in the service I simply cannot discuss. Of course, in pretty much all the cases, if I did discuss it you would be bored stiff, but still, classified material is exempted from free speech laws(sorta, sometimes). You cannot commit liable.

    The government does not, to my knowledge, mandate anything that would be considered PC, and that is because of the first amendment. However, a message board owner could make all sorts of PC rules for his message board and it would be perfectly legal since the first amendment does not apply to privately owned message boards.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Political Correctness - Mind Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    One of those oh so clever comments that sounds good until you look at it. The first amendment is superseded in a number of cases. There are things from when I was in the service I simply cannot discuss. Of course, in pretty much all the cases, if I did discuss it you would be bored stiff, but still, classified material is exempted from free speech laws(sorta, sometimes). You cannot commit liable.

    The government does not, to my knowledge, mandate anything that would be considered PC, and that is because of the first amendment. However, a message board owner could make all sorts of PC rules for his message board and it would be perfectly legal since the first amendment does not apply to privately owned message boards.
    Quite. Hence, you can understand why a lot of people roll their eyes when American posters bang on about enjoying the greatest freedom of speech of any country in the world. There may be the least heavy government censorship of expression, but there is a much heavier hand of private and corporate censorship and self-censorship. US TV is amongst the tamest and most timid in the world.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  9. #39
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Political Correctness - Mind Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Quite. Hence, you can understand why a lot of people roll their eyes when American posters bang on about enjoying the greatest freedom of speech of any country in the world. There may be the least heavy government censorship of expression, but there is a much heavier hand of private and corporate censorship and self-censorship. US TV is amongst the tamest and most timid in the world.
    It's ok. The people in the US understand that it's government censorship that is a problem, and that TV shows can be good without heavy swearing or nudity. Have you ever watched, for example, Japanese TV?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #40
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Political Correctness - Mind Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Quite. Hence, you can understand why a lot of people roll their eyes when American posters bang on about enjoying the greatest freedom of speech of any country in the world. There may be the least heavy government censorship of expression, but there is a much heavier hand of private and corporate censorship and self-censorship. US TV is amongst the tamest and most timid in the world.
    Big difference between not being able to say the f word on network TV and actually being criminally prosecuted just for saying something. I'll gladly accept the former in order to live where I can enjoy the latter.
    Last edited by X Factor; 06-09-11 at 05:18 AM.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •