View Poll Results: Government deal with churches?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do nothing.

    16 66.67%
  • Do everything - (some have built in Starbucks)

    4 16.67%
  • Do something (specify)

    4 16.67%
  • Don't know/care

    0 0%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 109

Thread: Government regulation of Churches?

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Government regulation of Churches?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    The government does regulate one thing the churches say. They are not allowed to endorse political candidates.
    There is an exception to every rule, this I agree with, keep the church, and state separate.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #22
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Government regulation of Churches?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Simply don't write legislation with loopholes.
    HAHAHAHA, when was the last time those monkeys in Washington did that?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Government regulation of Churches?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I don't really see the danger. There would be a fight to end all fights if some religion felt targeted or oppressed by the taxes. Simply don't write legislation with loopholes. "All religious institutions, upon registration as such, shall submit 10% of their total gross receipts in taxes on a yearly basis".
    You know the tax code can never be that simple
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #24
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Government regulation of Churches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You know the tax code can never be that simple
    Oh, it can. We just haven't gotten there yet.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #25
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Government regulation of Churches?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    The government does regulate one thing the churches say. They are not allowed to endorse political candidates.
    As I understand it, churches can endorse candidates, but it costs them tax exempt status.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Government regulation of Churches?

    "Churches should be taxed because they are not charities. They are very much businesses."

    "Churches should be regulated because they deal in hate speech, fraud, and continuously harbor child molesters"

    If pastors rake in money and use it for their own vain wants, it's fraud. Government should place signs and info pamphlets within the church to increase awareness against fraud, hate speech, bigotry, etc.

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Government regulation of Churches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    As I understand it, churches can endorse candidates, but it costs them tax exempt status.

    Correct

    ...........

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Government regulation of Churches?

    There are also a lot of churches with predominantly one race, like black/white/etc. Such social segregation must be stopped and regulated. Let the government fix it. If churches can't get with government's flow, penalize them. Or only white churches..

    Now future comprehensive arguments on this can snowball further.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Government regulation of Churches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    There are also a lot of churches with predominantly one race, like black/white/etc. Such social segregation must be stopped and regulated. Let the government fix it. If churches can't get with government's flow, penalize them. Or only white churches..

    Now future comprehensive arguments on this can snowball further.
    At the risk of being thread banned again, this is a retarded argument. People CHOOSE to go to churches they like. It's not like a Church says "no darkies!". They'll welcome anyone. People go where they are comfortable with the church, the congregation, and the religion. People MUST be free to make that choice. Government forced thought control is not a good situation, it will not end in a good place.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #30
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Government regulation of Churches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    "Churches should be taxed because they are not charities. They are very much businesses."

    "Churches should be regulated because they deal in hate speech, fraud, and continuously harbor child molesters"

    If pastors rake in money and use it for their own vain wants, it's fraud. Government should place signs and info pamphlets within the church to increase awareness against fraud, hate speech, bigotry, etc.
    The first two lines are in quotes, but the only one I see saying them is you. Who said them?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •