Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SmokeAndMirrors

Thread: V2 e-cig?

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Biloxi, MS
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,529
    Likes Received
    11411 times
    Likes Given
    11383
    Blog Entries
    4

    V2 e-cig?

    Having been a smoker for 24 years now, I'm considering switching to an e-cig. From what I've seen and heard, they've come a long way of late. I've been looking into the Smok e-cig and the V2 e-cig. Both has great reviews, but I'm leaning towards the V2. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of either of these e-cigs?
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  2. #2
    505
    505 is offline
    Mildly Hostile
    505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,023
    Likes Received
    1026 times
    Likes Given
    4663

    Re: V2 e-cig?

    They are both the same really... all of the minis use pretty much the same atomizers/batteries/chargers. My first e-cig was very similar to both, from volcano. I have since moved on to a larger device from puresmoker (the prodigy v2), which I wasn't sure I would like until after I got it. I thought I wanted something sized like a regular cig, but later found that I prefer the longer battery life from the prodigy and don't care about the unit being sized more like a cigar.

    I'm sure either one of those kits would be a good starter for you, just make sure to get some extra atomizers and juice. The prefilled refill cartridges are a total waste... buy the juice in liquid form and "drip" feed it from the bottle directly onto the atty (one or two drops at a time). This way is MUCH cheaper, and you can tailor your juice mixture to your liking. Get several small bottles of different flavors and try them out, don't start out with just tobacco flavors. Some of them are actually really good (cotton candy is strangely yummy).

    Also, there are 2 different types of juice, PG (propylene glycol) and VG (vegetable glycerin). PG will give you more of a throat hit, while VG will produce more vapor. I make a cocktail that's about 70% PG / 30% VG... and it simulates the feeling and "smoke output" of a real cig pretty well. My tobacco flavor of choice is DK-TAB (dark turkish/american blend)... I smoked Camels and American Spirits (17 years) and the flavor is pretty close. You won't ever mimic the EXACT taste, but let's be honest... regular cigs don't really taste that great anyway. lol.

    Shoot me a PM if you want some good sites for juice/attys... not sure what the rules are about posting up links and don't want to look like some sort of salesmen.

    Happy quitting! You can do this.

  3. #3
    505
    505 is offline
    Mildly Hostile
    505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,023
    Likes Received
    1026 times
    Likes Given
    4663

    Re: V2 e-cig?

    Oops, one last thing. Depending on how much you currently smoke, you will want to take note of the nicotine content of the juice you are buying. I was a 3/4 pack to a pack a day smoker, and I settled in on 16mg juice. 24mg juice gave me a buzz that I hadn't felt in years, and anything lower than 16mg felt like I was smoking an ultra light. lol. You can use that as a rough guide, but I would suggest ordering some different strengths to try out.

  4. #4
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,882
    Likes Received
    10217 times
    Likes Given
    8757

    Re: V2 e-cig?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    Having been a smoker for 24 years now, I'm considering switching to an e-cig. From what I've seen and heard, they've come a long way of late. I've been looking into the Smok e-cig and the V2 e-cig. Both has great reviews, but I'm leaning towards the V2. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of either of these e-cigs?
    For reference, I used to use e-cigs, and eventually wound up working within the industry.

    Please, please reconsider.

    E-cigarettes are completely unregulated. Many of the juices contain substances that are known to be highly toxic. And before you tell me, "well so are cigarettes," some of these substances can actually damage your lungs a lot faster and more severely than smoking does. Look up diacetyl and "popcorn lung." That stuff's in a lot of e-juices.

    In addition, consider the parts within the e-cig itself. You're inhaling directly off of a hot coil. What's that coil made of? Yeah, I know what they tell you it's made of, but it's produced in Shenhzen, which is notorious for making dangerously sub-par Chinese products, and even if the nichrome they use is actually pure (doubtful) the material itself is possibly unsafe for this application. You can't avoid them. Even if you buy an American-made mod, you're still using Shenzhen-made atomizer or cartomizer.

    In the case of an e-cig like the V2, which uses cartomizers, you're also inhaling off of heated polyfill. Polyfill that is very susceptible to burning, because it is wrapped around the heating element. If you don't believe me, I've attached a picture of one of my own cartomizers. Keep in mind: I did this for a living. I used absolute best practices, kept the cartomizers wet, rotated them regularly, and they still burned. I inhaled that.

    The first picture is the burnt cartomizer filler, once I removed and unrolled it.

    The second picture is the coil literally bursting into flames when I activated it.

    100_1672.jpg

    100_1671.jpg

    Beyond all of that, Smok and V2 are dramatically over-priced. They're nothing but a dressed-up auto KR808D-1's (the Smok looks like a mini battery - it'll be dead within 2 hours of moderate use). Auto's suck. They're unreliable and frustrating. You can get an unbranded kit with a manual switch for probably a quarter of what they're asking, and from a better-reputed website.

    But my advice is that you stay away from them all together. Don't be foolish enough to believe you'll be able to tell what's safe and what isn't. I research everything absolutely to death, and I couldn't tell exactly how bad it was until I was inside the industry and seeing it first-hand.

    A lot of this stuff is not out there for people to see, or so hidden that only months of involving yourself with it will give you any kind of clue. The industry is TOTALLY unregulated. TOTALLY. They could sell you arsenic if they wanted to, and they'd be accountable to no one until you were already dead. OSHA doesn't even know what they're looking for, on the rare occasion they care enough to try.

    I have seen businesses sell juice using tainted nicotine that was so bad it was making the people who prepared it sick. Even after the owner noticed this, he still continued to have it shipped out. This was a company selling American-made juice, by the way.

    I've seen them stuff down lab results that are very damning towards e-cigs. I've seen them just straight-up lie to people.

    There are good people in the industry as well, but most of them are the really small shops, who are kept pretty much in the dark.

    If you're curious, I eventually wound up getting so fed up with it that I whistle-blew, and of course, was subsequently fired. Regrettably, the sheer stress of that situation also resulted in me going back to smoking (I had quit vaping, due to all the things I just listed above). There is also an on-going lawsuit, spearheaded by my former supervisor.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-07-12 at 05:38 AM.

  5. #5
    505
    505 is offline
    Mildly Hostile
    505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,023
    Likes Received
    1026 times
    Likes Given
    4663

    Re: V2 e-cig?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    For reference, I used to use e-cigs, and eventually wound up working within the industry.

    Please, please reconsider.

    E-cigarettes are completely unregulated. Many of the juices contain substances that are known to be highly toxic. And before you tell me, "well so are cigarettes," some of these substances can actually damage your lungs a lot faster and more severely than smoking does. Look up diacetyl and "popcorn lung." That stuff's in a lot of e-juices.

    In addition, consider the parts within the e-cig itself. You're inhaling directly off of a hot coil. What's that coil made of? Yeah, I know what they tell you it's made of, but it's produced in Shenhzen, which is notorious for making dangerously sub-par Chinese products, and even if the nichrome they use is actually pure (doubtful) the material itself is possibly unsafe for this application. You can't avoid them. Even if you buy an American-made mod, you're still using Shenzhen-made atomizer or cartomizer.

    In the case of an e-cig like the V2, which uses cartomizers, you're also inhaling off of heated polyfill. Polyfill that is very susceptible to burning, because it is wrapped around the heating element. If you don't believe me, I've attached a picture of one of my own cartomizers. Keep in mind: I did this for a living. I used absolute best practices, kept the cartomizers wet, rotated them regularly, and they still burned. I inhaled that.

    The first picture is the burnt cartomizer filler, once I removed and unrolled it.

    The second picture is the coil literally bursting into flames when I activated it.

    100_1672.jpg

    100_1671.jpg

    Beyond all of that, Smok and V2 are dramatically over-priced. They're nothing but a dressed-up auto KR808D-1's (the Smok looks like a mini battery - it'll be dead within 2 hours of moderate use). Auto's suck. They're unreliable and frustrating. You can get an unbranded kit with a manual switch for probably a quarter of what they're asking, and from a better-reputed website.

    But my advice is that you stay away from them all together. Don't be foolish enough to believe you'll be able to tell what's safe and what isn't. I research everything absolutely to death, and I couldn't tell exactly how bad it was until I was inside the industry and seeing it first-hand.

    A lot of this stuff is not out there for people to see, or so hidden that only months of involving yourself with it will give you any kind of clue. The industry is TOTALLY unregulated. TOTALLY. They could sell you arsenic if they wanted to, and they'd be accountable to no one until you were already dead. OSHA doesn't even know what they're looking for, on the rare occasion they care enough to try.

    I have seen businesses sell juice using tainted nicotine that was so bad it was making the people who prepared it sick. Even after the owner noticed this, he still continued to have it shipped out. This was a company selling American-made juice, by the way.

    I've seen them stuff down lab results that are very damning towards e-cigs. I've seen them just straight-up lie to people.

    There are good people in the industry as well, but most of them are the really small shops, who are kept pretty much in the dark.

    If you're curious, I eventually wound up getting so fed up with it that I whistle-blew, and of course, was subsequently fired. Regrettably, the sheer stress of that situation also resulted in me going back to smoking (I had quit vaping, due to all the things I just listed above). There is also an on-going lawsuit, spearheaded by my former supervisor.


    I did some looking and the juice maker I use claims to be diacetyl free... but ugh... popcorn lung. I don't use cartos either (was worried about the poly burning), but you are totally right about the shenzhen attys... they ALL come from there.

    Looks like I'll be accelerating my full-on quitting plans. Thanks for the super informative post S&M.

  6. #6
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,882
    Likes Received
    10217 times
    Likes Given
    8757

    Re: V2 e-cig?

    Quote Originally Posted by 505 View Post


    I did some looking and the juice maker I use claims to be diacetyl free... but ugh... popcorn lung. I don't use cartos either (was worried about the poly burning), but you are totally right about the shenzhen attys... they ALL come from there.

    Looks like I'll be accelerating my full-on quitting plans. Thanks for the super informative post S&M.
    Unfortunately diacetyl isn't the only concern. Diacetyl has other, lesser-known "sister chemicals" that even many of the diacetyl-free suppliers still have in their juices. In some cases, it's just that they don't know. Anyone can make juice. Hell, I used to make my own. That's the problem - total amateurs with no idea what they're doing make and sell juice.

    The safest way of vaping I can recommend is this:

    - PG-only juice. I know the vapor sucks. But PG is known to be safe to inhale, at least to a point. VG isn't.
    - No flavoring AT ALL. None. Just PG and nicotine.
    - No higher than 3.7v and resist the urge to use LR atties. Just regular atties.
    - Drip only, preferably with a steel drip tip.
    - Clean your atties with just water. I used to use alcohol, but due to the unknown integrity of the components of the atties, I would recommend doing a long soak in water instead. It'll work just the same, it just takes longer. You can also use a jewelry cleaner with just water.

    Quitting after vaping is actually easier than you think. You'd be surprised. If I hadn't been so mired in such an extreme amount of stress just as I was coming off it, I probably would have stayed smoke-free.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-07-12 at 07:15 AM.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Biloxi, MS
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,529
    Likes Received
    11411 times
    Likes Given
    11383
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: V2 e-cig?

    SmokeAndMirrors, thanks for the great information. It really made me second guess this and take a deeper look into e-cigs before just diving in blind.

    Having said that, I did purchase an e-cig and it's on it's way to me. Here's what I went with (purchased from MyVaporStore.com):

    KR808D-1 Starter Kit (Manual) and a 5-pack of the Kamel Premium cartomizers as well as the 5 "random" that come with the starter kit. I'm trying to decide what "flavor" to go with in terms of the tobacco choices they have. I've also seen this (KR808D1 Ultimate CE2 Clearomizer XL) and it looks promising. The CE2 does not have any poly filler and it has larger storage for more fluid. I plan on filling my own blanks once I decide on what "tobacco" to go with. While I was able to get a list of the ingredients from the v2 website, I haven't found the list of ingredients on the MVS site. I might end up buying liquid from the v2 site since the ingredients there are listed (they use PG-only juice).

    It's on it's way to me and I'm hoping that I've made the right decision. With your help though, I have definitely made a much more informed decision than I would have without your valuable input.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  8. #8
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,882
    Likes Received
    10217 times
    Likes Given
    8757
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    SmokeAndMirrors, thanks for the great information. It really made me second guess this and take a deeper look into e-cigs before just diving in blind.

    Having said that, I did purchase an e-cig and it's on it's way to me. Here's what I went with (purchased from MyVaporStore.com):

    KR808D-1 Starter Kit (Manual) and a 5-pack of the Kamel Premium cartomizers as well as the 5 "random" that come with the starter kit. I'm trying to decide what "flavor" to go with in terms of the tobacco choices they have. I've also seen this (KR808D1 Ultimate CE2 Clearomizer XL) and it looks promising. The CE2 does not have any poly filler and it has larger storage for more fluid. I plan on filling my own blanks once I decide on what "tobacco" to go with. While I was able to get a list of the ingredients from the v2 website, I haven't found the list of ingredients on the MVS site. I might end up buying liquid from the v2 site since the ingredients there are listed (they use PG-only juice).

    It's on it's way to me and I'm hoping that I've made the right decision. With your help though, I have definitely made a much more informed decision than I would have without your valuable input.
    I've testing the CE2's extensively. I'd avoid them. There's a lot of potential leeching problems with the cheap barrels. You can taste it. The wicks also don't feed well, and you wind up vaping them dry until they start to fry, even if you're going easy on them. They're just not well-designed. The company that makes them is particularly notorious for extremely bad quality control.

    My advice: get 901 atomizers (they will fit on your Kr8 batteries) and use those with a drip tip. They don't hold their juice quite as well as a 510, but they're gentle, and atomizers have fewer unknown materials in them.

    I would also advise you de-wick your atomizers. You can probably YouTube it. When you de-wick, there's nothing but the coil and the ceramic cup. It's the closest you can get to knowing what the hell you're actually vaping.

    I would also really seriously advise you go with flavoring-free juice. Seriously.

    Most of these companies don't even know what's in their juice (an ingredients list that doesn't list all the ingredients in the flavoring is useless - there's dozens in the flavoring alone, and even if they list them for you, you probably don't know what most of them are; even I don't know what all of them are), and a decent portion of those who do are actively trying to hide it from you.

    Start with the lowest nicotine that makes it bearable for you, and start tapering down as quick as you feel you can (hint: you can probably do it at least twice as fast as you think).

    But I'll say again: I do not feel these devices are safe at all, given the current industry standard. I am telling you what I am in the hopes you can at least lower your risks as much as possible, and think of e-cigs as a bridge rather than a destination.

    This is not just theoretical. A lot of people have symptoms of problems while using e-cigs, including myself.

    I understand the feeling of having no way out. Maybe you even have a point. I'm still young, and I've got time to figure it out. But who knows how much I hurt myself with e-cigs. Or how many other people I encouraged to hurt themselves, as well. It's the stupidest thing I've ever done. And trust me, I've done some unbelievably stupid things.

    The only good news I can give you is that e-cigs are easier to quit than cigarettes. I have reached the limit of how much instruction I'm willing to give about using e-cigs, given the way that I feel about them.

    But I will more than happily help you put together a plan for how to get off them, and kick the habit all together.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-13-12 at 02:46 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •