Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 377
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

  1. #11
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,878
    Likes Received
    4857 times
    Likes Given
    2721

    Re: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Perhaps these people would dispute the BLS?

    100 Unintended Consequences of Obamacare | National Review Online
    Still on first page and there are two people already denying the Bureau of Labor Statistics as a viable source for labor statistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative
    The left is paralyzed by logic and reason.

  2. #12
    Guru


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,187
    Likes Received
    2254 times
    Likes Given
    1755

    Re: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    Who ya gonna believe, posts by Obama Liberals from questionable sources or YOUR OWN EYES?

    Absolute nonsense.

  3. #13
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,878
    Likes Received
    4857 times
    Likes Given
    2721

    Re: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Who ya gonna believe, posts by Obama worshipping Liberals from questionable sources or YOUR OWN EYES?

    Absolute nonsense.
    So just deny stats you don't like? That's how it works? That's three denying the BLS. Where's Conservative when you need him. He says the BLS is infallible.
    Last edited by poweRob; 10-26-13 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative
    The left is paralyzed by logic and reason.

  4. #14
    Bŕs no Beatha


    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,108
    Likes Received
    4881 times
    Likes Given
    4614

    Re: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    The concern about moving full-time employees to part-time status is not a myth or over reaction. It's based on empirical historical evidence provided by what began in 2007 and 2008 following the financial crash. Following the crash, employers moved full-time employees to part-time status to reduce costs by eliminating the cost of benefits.

    This was the evidence used to predict what would happen due to the PPACA's requirements. It is also the reason that the Teamsters and many other Unions, who originally gave unrestricted, and what is now proven to be unrequited, support to the PPACA, to send open letters to the President with concerns over a mirrored reaction of what began in '07 and '08.

    The trend to reduce benefits costs has been in place since '07, and that was before the mandates of the PPACA. As has been stated above by others, there are many variables in the employment numbers that can account for any short term trend, either up or down. Only long term analysis will prove out whether the PPACA will have long lasting or a potential permanent affect on employment practices.

    Employers, as also been said before by another poster, will make their decision based on the bottom line to the company. They have a fiduciary responsibility to the stock holders to do whatever is required to reduce costs and maintain profitability. This includes the option of moving full-time employees to part-time status. This is also made possible by the establishment of the government exchanges, giving the employers the ability to garner emotional, moral and ethical cover, given that their employees will still have access to health care insurance, when they lose their employer provided insurance.

    If we look beyond the politically motivated arguments from both sides, and look solely at the facts, market trends and basic business practices, the concern, as I said at first, is not a myth or overreaction. It's based on empirical historical evidence, and current trends in hiring practices.

    And, in addition to the problem with employment status, the Unions have additional concerns (and this from a source that the OP should believe):

    Last edited by Beaudreaux; 10-26-13 at 04:14 PM.

  5. #15
    Curmudgeon

    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,728
    Likes Received
    3249 times
    Likes Given
    1085
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Well now that we've heard over a year of this bullcrap ad nauseam... the stats are finally out. And claims of Obamacare killing full time jobs are now officially debunked.

    The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    According to the BLS household survey, part-time jobs fell 594,000 in September while full-time workers were up 691,000.
    The overall trend is that part time employment is going up, but so is full time employment:

    LNS12600000_Max_630_378.jpg

    The numbers reported are basically just statistical noise.

    There have been many reports of people being forced to go part time, but apparently that's a small part of the total picture.

    I don't think there's any doubt that the ACA is suppressing job growth. I've never heard of employers hiring more people if it costs them a lot more to do so. That would sort of fly in the face of the liberal view of business people, would it not?
    “We do not believe any group of men adequate enough or wise enough to operate without scrutiny or without criticism. We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it, that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. We know that in secrecy error undetected will flourish and subvert”. – J Robert Oppenheimer.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    35,548
    Likes Received
    6755 times
    Likes Given
    6150

    Re: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    The overall trend is that part time employment is going up, but so is full time employment:

    LNS12600000_Max_630_378.jpg

    The numbers reported are basically just statistical noise.

    There have been many reports of people being forced to go part time, but apparently that's a small part of the total picture.

    I don't think there's any doubt that the ACA is suppressing job growth. I've never heard of employers hiring more people if it costs them a lot more to do so. That would sort of fly in the face of the liberal view of business people, would it not?
    Unless they need they for profit. Frankly, growth is not related to these things that much. If people are spending money, there. Will be growth, regardless.

    However, if anyone really buys this suppression argument, they should be arguing for UHC. That would remove healthcare from employment.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #17
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,267
    Likes Received
    13432 times
    Likes Given
    205

    Re: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Who ya gonna believe, posts by Obama Liberals from questionable sources or YOUR OWN EYES?

    Absolute nonsense.
    I am going to believe the Bureau of Labor Statistics regarding labor statistics over my own eyes.

    Because I am wise and intelligent enough to understand that personal observations can be wildly inaccurate and are easily prone to any number of different biases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Feel free to answer the question yourself:
    Is a boycott an unwarranted use of force? Is a boycott violation of free speech?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Yes.

  8. #18
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,878
    Likes Received
    4857 times
    Likes Given
    2721

    Re: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    The overall trend is that part time employment is going up, but so is full time employment:

    LNS12600000_Max_630_378.jpg

    The numbers reported are basically just statistical noise.

    There have been many reports of people being forced to go part time, but apparently that's a small part of the total picture.

    I don't think there's any doubt that the ACA is suppressing job growth. I've never heard of employers hiring more people if it costs them a lot more to do so. That would sort of fly in the face of the liberal view of business people, would it not?
    How can you say that it IS suppressing job growth if the law doesn't go into effect until next year?
    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative
    The left is paralyzed by logic and reason.

  9. #19
    Curmudgeon

    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,728
    Likes Received
    3249 times
    Likes Given
    1085
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Unless they need they for profit. Frankly, growth is not related to these things that much. If people are spending money, there. Will be growth, regardless.

    However, if anyone really buys this suppression argument, they should be arguing for UHC. That would remove healthcare from employment.
    The increase in taxes that UHC would require would pretty much negate any advantages where economic growth is concerned. Unless they are talking about some really draconian rationing of medical care, which people are not going to stand for.
    “We do not believe any group of men adequate enough or wise enough to operate without scrutiny or without criticism. We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it, that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. We know that in secrecy error undetected will flourish and subvert”. – J Robert Oppenheimer.

  10. #20
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,878
    Likes Received
    4857 times
    Likes Given
    2721

    Re: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    The increase in taxes that UHC would require would pretty much negate any advantages where economic growth is concerned.
    A dollar for dollar push huh? Citation?
    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative
    The left is paralyzed by logic and reason.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •