Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: What is Putin's motivation?

  1. #41
    Sage

    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,996
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: What is Putin's motivation?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I still want to know how it is they are so certain. We don't know who hacks other sites. How is it that we are POSITIVE the Russian gvmt did this? Until the CIA and FBI give us more information? I will continue to think our gvmt is lying to us. And I'm smart enough to know that I'm far the only one who thinks that way.
    I agree with you there Maggie, 'cause this president and his administration have been oh so honest with us up to this point.

    And no, this doesn't mean that I believe the Russians over our government, don't be ridiculous. What this means is that I expect our government to make good with sufficient information and specifics, not to reveal means or methods, but enough to be convinced they aren't fabricating this, and aren't being spoofed by the hackers into concluding it was the Russian when in fact it might not be.
    It's a global Jihad, stupid. Allowing that poison into the country is only going to increase the damage it inflicts on others.
    Trump: "When You Open Your Heart To Patriotism, There Is No Room For Prejudice"
    Trump to NYT: “Try reporting accurately & fairly!”

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Last Seen
    02-28-17 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,012

    Re: What is Putin's motivation?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Yeah, he really is an asshole.
    He really truly is ...........and always has been!

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I agree with you there Maggie, 'cause this president and his administration have been oh so honest with us up to this point.

    And no, this doesn't mean that I believe the Russians over our government, don't be ridiculous. What this means is that I expect our government to make good with sufficient information and specifics, not to reveal means or methods, but enough to be convinced they aren't fabricating this, and aren't being spoofed by the hackers into concluding it was the Russian when in fact it might not be.
    Correct!

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Last Seen
    02-28-17 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,012

    Re: What is Putin's motivation?

    The good news..............



  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Last Seen
    02-28-17 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,012

    Re: What is Putin's motivation?


  5. #45
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:04 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    23,006

    Re: What is Putin's motivation?

    Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    It is now clear that the election hacking of the DNC, the deliberate spread of "fake news", and other cyber-attacks from Russia have come from the highest reaches of the Russian government- very likely Putin himself. This has been confirmed by the CIA, and now the FBI, and supported by 99 out of 100 US senators.

    And interestingly enough, the US has not been the only victim of this Russian Cyberwar. Eastern European countries and Baltic states have also been the victims of this cyberwar. Senators Lindsey Graham and John McCain are currently busy travelling back and forth to those areas to gather and consolidate further evidence for this as they build their case against the Russians.

    But the question is: why? Why does Putin think that the destabilization of nascent and established democracies around the world is going to benefit Russia? Yes, it's true that Russia has become economically and diplomatically isolated after aggressive behavior like the invasion of Georgia, and more recently, the annexation of Crimea. But do they really think that destabilizing the rest of the world politically is going to fix this?

    Does anyone know what may be going through Putin's head?
    Motive? Destabilize. Trump is not a wise or very smart man so rattling his cage real hard, coupled with money that he owes in Russia, starts him up to go along with the program. I think that Putin is going to show him who can get the better deal. Trump doesn't have the stomach for war either, so that's going to play a big part in Russia AND Iran's foreign policy.
    “looking with fondness towards a reconciliation with Great Britain…I…would rather be dependent on Great Britain, properly limited, than with any other nation on earth or on no nation”. Thomas Jefferson; August 25 1775

  6. #46
    Educator ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,243

    Re: What is Putin's motivation?

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyW View Post
    The good news..............


    ________________
    And, of course, movin' in day:

    trumpputin.jpg

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    ...
    Last Seen
    01-25-17 @ 04:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    196

    Re: What is Putin's motivation?

    Putin wants Russia to be as powerful as the United States. This is clear. Russia's ability to raise to the level of the U.S. either economically or militarily is small. This is also clear. So therefore he must try to bring America down to Russia's level to achieve equality. He does so by causing chaos and making America look weak.

    Also, he seems to really dislike Clinton.

  8. #48
    User overman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15

    Re: What is Putin's motivation?

    Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    Does anyone know what may be going through Putin's head?
    Nobody knows, because it's impossible to know what going through anyone head. Because of that we don't know real motivation of Putin, but we can assume what is motivation if we look his previous actions and behavior. Putin want to reduce USA power in world and have his agent in this country, so he can do whatever he want in world, especially in the Europe. Explanation of this is 1) he want more power like every politician who exist since Stone Age - will to power 2) he want to stay on head of Russia, so he fear of losing that - fear.

    In long range, this action would go to the detriment of Russia, because if America is weak, Russia is weak as well. The reason for this is globalization and interdependence between countries. But, Putin doesn't care for that long range.

  9. #49
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,547

    Re: What is Putin's motivation?

    Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    It is now clear that the election hacking of the DNC, the deliberate spread of "fake news", and other cyber-attacks from Russia have come from the highest reaches of the Russian government- very likely Putin himself. This has been confirmed by the CIA, and now the FBI, and supported by 99 out of 100 US senators.

    And interestingly enough, the US has not been the only victim of this Russian Cyberwar. Eastern European countries and Baltic states have also been the victims of this cyberwar. Senators Lindsey Graham and John McCain are currently busy travelling back and forth to those areas to gather and consolidate further evidence for this as they build their case against the Russians.

    But the question is: why? Why does Putin think that the destabilization of nascent and established democracies around the world is going to benefit Russia? Yes, it's true that Russia has become economically and diplomatically isolated after aggressive behavior like the invasion of Georgia, and more recently, the annexation of Crimea. But do they really think that destabilizing the rest of the world politically is going to fix this?

    Does anyone know what may be going through Putin's head?
    He wants someone less likely to get in his way in Syira and Ukraine and more likely to cause trouble with China. The first two are pretty simple, Russia´s key obsession has always been access to the sea (1). As for China, the border has always been a massive source of tension and illegal Chinese immigration into Siberia will become a bigger one once the permafrost melts and huge swathes of land and natural resources are up for grabs.


    A lot of Russian interventions in the region have been partly about preserving Russian access to military bases (Tartus in Syria, and Crimea in the Ukraine), partly about adressing the legitimate concerns of Russian speakers in the Ukraine, and Georgia , but primarily about Russia having an excuse to throw its weight around in order to assert its dominance over it´s near abroad. Russia has always been a huge, largely flat country surrounded by enemies and this is seen as the best way to keep any potential problems at bay.

    1. Hence the Crimean War in the 19th century, Russo- Japanese War, Bosporous Straits issue during the Cold War etc.
    Last edited by Red_Dave; 01-22-17 at 03:58 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •