Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 741

Thread: It is who you give the tax cuts to![W:260]

  1. #1
    Student
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    160

    It is who you give the tax cuts to![W:260]

    The Bush tax cuts should have been focused on the poor and the middle income eaners, but a great portion went to the wealthy. These cuts did little to help the economy. We are a consumer driven economy. Where the wealthy may have invested most or all of the tax relief they got from the Bush tax cuts, where they invested it wasn't in the US. The poor and the middle income wage earners spent most or all of what they received. The problem was the little they got individually from the tax cuts on top of stagnent wages actually hurt the economy by limiting demand, something very important in a consumer driven economy. So much so that we were almost in a depression when Obama got into office. People complain about the slow growth of the economy since Obama came into office. Without an increase in the poor and middle income earners purchasing power or/and an increase in real wages, economic growth may remain slow. The last few months we have seen a growth in real income. Now if Trump and the GOP aim their tax cuts at the poor and middle income earners, we may stimulate the economy and see really good growth numbers. If we just give more money to the wealthy all we will do is increase the deficit.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,556

    Re: It is who you give the tax cuts to!

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    The Bush tax cuts should have been focused on the poor and the middle income eaners, but a great portion went to the wealthy. These cuts did little to help the economy. We are a consumer driven economy. Where the wealthy may have invested most or all of the tax relief they got from the Bush tax cuts, where they invested it wasn't in the US. The poor and the middle income wage earners spent most or all of what they received. The problem was the little they got individually from the tax cuts on top of stagnent wages actually hurt the economy by limiting demand, something very important in a consumer driven economy. So much so that we were almost in a depression when Obama got into office. People complain about the slow growth of the economy since Obama came into office. Without an increase in the poor and middle income earners purchasing power or/and an increase in real wages, economic growth may remain slow. The last few months we have seen a growth in real income. Now if Trump and the GOP aim their tax cuts at the poor and middle income earners, we may stimulate the economy and see really good growth numbers. If we just give more money to the wealthy all we will do is increase the deficit.
    That's rather a lot of supposing there.

  3. #3
    #FeltTheJohnson
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    01-12-17 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,325

    Re: It is who you give the tax cuts to!

    Well, it's worth a shot. And with all the new faces in Congress and a loose cannon in the oval office, this is probably the best chance we have of getting legislation like this through - asides from the Senate, our representatives are currently beholden to surprisingly few special interest groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Go Trump GO! Absolutely! I'd LOVE for Trump to be the GOP nominee! Please, oh please, oh PLEASE let Trump be the GOP nominee!

  4. #4
    Professor Incisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,925

    Re: It is who you give the tax cuts to!

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    The Bush tax cuts should have been focused on the poor and the middle income eaners, but a great portion went to the wealthy. These cuts did little to help the economy. We are a consumer driven economy. Where the wealthy may have invested most or all of the tax relief they got from the Bush tax cuts, where they invested it wasn't in the US. The poor and the middle income wage earners spent most or all of what they received. The problem was the little they got individually from the tax cuts on top of stagnent wages actually hurt the economy by limiting demand, something very important in a consumer driven economy. So much so that we were almost in a depression when Obama got into office. People complain about the slow growth of the economy since Obama came into office. Without an increase in the poor and middle income earners purchasing power or/and an increase in real wages, economic growth may remain slow. The last few months we have seen a growth in real income. Now if Trump and the GOP aim their tax cuts at the poor and middle income earners, we may stimulate the economy and see really good growth numbers. If we just give more money to the wealthy all we will do is increase the deficit.
    Interestingly, Moody's did an analysis on what the wealthy do with their tax cuts and -surprise- they don't spend them, contrary to what Conservatives say about trickle-down.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: It is who you give the tax cuts to!

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    The Bush tax cuts should have been focused on the poor and the middle income eaners, but a great portion went to the wealthy. These cuts did little to help the economy. We are a consumer driven economy. Where the wealthy may have invested most or all of the tax relief they got from the Bush tax cuts, where they invested it wasn't in the US. The poor and the middle income wage earners spent most or all of what they received. The problem was the little they got individually from the tax cuts on top of stagnent wages actually hurt the economy by limiting demand, something very important in a consumer driven economy. So much so that we were almost in a depression when Obama got into office. People complain about the slow growth of the economy since Obama came into office. Without an increase in the poor and middle income earners purchasing power or/and an increase in real wages, economic growth may remain slow. The last few months we have seen a growth in real income. Now if Trump and the GOP aim their tax cuts at the poor and middle income earners, we may stimulate the economy and see really good growth numbers. If we just give more money to the wealthy all we will do is increase the deficit.
    The poor and middle class now pay the lowest burden in federal income taxes in decades. In fact, for many.. they get more money out than they put in.. from the EITC.

  6. #6
    Professor Incisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,925

    Re: It is who you give the tax cuts to!

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    The poor and middle class now pay the lowest burden in federal income taxes in decades. In fact, for many.. they get more money out than they put in.. from the EITC.
    So what? That low federal burden (thanks to tax cuts) did nothing to raise wages. So great, their tax burden is low...too bad their wages haven't grown in 35 years.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: It is who you give the tax cuts to!

    Quote Originally Posted by Incisor View Post
    So what? That low federal burden (thanks to tax cuts) did nothing to raise wages. So great, their tax burden is low...too bad their wages haven't grown in 35 years.
    Exactly.. so how is focusing tax cuts on people that already pay little to no income tax going to improve things for them.?

  8. #8
    Professor Incisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,925

    Re: It is who you give the tax cuts to!

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Exactly.. so how is focusing tax cuts on people that already pay little to no income tax going to improve things for them.?
    I don't support cutting taxes. Period.

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: It is who you give the tax cuts to!

    Quote Originally Posted by Incisor View Post
    I don't support cutting taxes. Period.
    Well that's nice to know.....

  10. #10
    Sage
    Moderate Right's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,481

    Re: It is who you give the tax cuts to!

    Quote Originally Posted by Incisor View Post
    So what? That low federal burden (thanks to tax cuts) did nothing to raise wages. So great, their tax burden is low...too bad their wages haven't grown in 35 years.
    It was the anti-business climate which forced the higher paying jobs out of the country. We need to create a business friendly atmosphere to bring the manufacturing jobs back or at least plug the holes in the dike to stop the bleeding.

Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •