Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 129 of 129

Thread: National Debt Nears 20 Trillion Just in Time for Election

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,782

    Re: National Debt Nears 20 Trillion Just in Time for Election

    Quote Originally Posted by vash1012 View Post
    I took a look at this plan and, while I would actually love many parts of it, calling it a balanced budget plan is a stretch. I think history has shown that the "cut taxes to increase revenues from growth" does not work at our levels of taxation. Just like Trump's plan, it relies on very...optomistic forecasts on the effect of these tax cuts and deregulation on economic growth. When you look at the broader range of possible outcomes, its more likely that this will not result in more budget deficits.
    I think cutting taxes to stimulate economic activity is proven (which is part of why every President does it), and production is what is taxed. It doesnt matter, though, if you outspend it. Spending caused deficits, not taxes.

    And any good balanced plan should have future adjustments based on real outcomes, such that if spending is too much, or GDP forecasts are high, spending is reduced.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Seen
    02-23-17 @ 10:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,453

    Re: National Debt Nears 20 Trillion Just in Time for Election

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Yes, spending on healthcare is unconstitutional.
    So according to you, Medicare is unconstitutional?

  3. #123
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,782

    Re: National Debt Nears 20 Trillion Just in Time for Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Incisor View Post
    So according to you, Medicare is unconstitutional?
    Thats what said. Why are you dodging the question about whether it could be ratified by the states? I mean, they voted on income tax, alcohol, womens voting, civil rights, slavery. If healthcare is a human right, lets put it to a vote.

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,438

    Re: National Debt Nears 20 Trillion Just in Time for Election

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Thats what said. Why are you dodging the question about whether it could be ratified by the states? I mean, they voted on income tax, alcohol, womens voting, civil rights, slavery. If healthcare is a human right, lets put it to a vote.
    The rest of the western democracies have already voted and the answer is a resounding YES. Only the wealthy who have nothing to worry about would say otherwise. Are you so wealthy that a $500,000 medical bill would not phase you?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    - Voltaire

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Seen
    02-23-17 @ 10:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,453

    Re: National Debt Nears 20 Trillion Just in Time for Election

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Thats what said. Why are you dodging the question about whether it could be ratified by the states? I mean, they voted on income tax, alcohol, womens voting, civil rights, slavery. If healthcare is a human right, lets put it to a vote.
    Doesn't need to be ratified by the states. What actually needs to be ratified by the states is the belief that Medicare is unconstitutional. Do you know how our government works?

  6. #126
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,782

    Re: National Debt Nears 20 Trillion Just in Time for Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Incisor View Post
    Doesn't need to be ratified by the states. What actually needs to be ratified by the states is the belief that Medicare is unconstitutional. Do you know how our government works?
    Yes, Ive read the rulebook.

    Amendment X
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
    Where is the power to spend on healthcare delegated to the US?

    Or how about this?

    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,
    When did we consent to federal govt spending on healthcare. Do you know how our govt is supposed to work? Why can you just get the states to approve it? Obviously because you know they wouldnt. You asked for the reason why we shouldnt have single payer and there is your answer. Because the majority of the governed dont want it.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Seen
    02-23-17 @ 10:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,453

    Re: National Debt Nears 20 Trillion Just in Time for Election

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Yes, Ive read the rulebook.
    I don't think you have. I think you're pretending you have for the sake of this message board, but you and I both know you don't. So stop.


    Where is the power to spend on healthcare delegated to the US?
    General welfare clause.


    deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,
    Exactly...politicians get voted in and then make and pass laws. What's your point?


    When did we consent to federal govt spending on healthcare
    When you voted in the representatives who passed the laws. You sure you know how government works? Because it doesn't seem like you do.


    Why can you just get the states to approve it? Obviously because you know they wouldnt.
    Not only would the states vote for it, but they would do so overwhelmingly. Besides, we're not talking about government-run health care, we are talking about government-run health insurance.

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,782

    Re: National Debt Nears 20 Trillion Just in Time for Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Incisor View Post
    I don't think you have. I think you're pretending you have for the sake of this message board, but you and I both know you don't. So stop.

    /B][/I].
    Guess we're done since youre going to be rude.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    is everything
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,810

    Re: National Debt Nears 20 Trillion Just in Time for Election

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Where is the power to spend on healthcare delegated to the US?
    As noted above, Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1 — "lay and collect Taxes … to … provide for the … general Welfare."

    >>Why can you just get the states to approve it? Obviously because you know they wouldnt.

    A very large majority of Americans (77%) say Medicare is "a very important program," and two-to-one they believe it's operating effectively, 60-30. (source)

    >>You asked for the reason why we shouldnt have single payer and there is your answer. Because the majority of the governed dont want it.

    When asked if they favour "replacing the ACA with a federally funded healthcare program providing insurance for all," support is 58-37. (source)

    You of course have every right to yer own opinion, but yer in a marked minority.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Guess we're done since youre going to be rude.
    You should never have started. But yes, go run away and hide after taking another mindless, uniformed dump at DP.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •