Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 672

Thread: What makes people think cuts in government spending boost the economy?

  1. #21
    Sage David_N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    The United States
    Last Seen
    09-19-16 @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,562

    Re: What makes people think cuts in government spending boost the economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Supply side does work. Millions of Americans and thousands of bussineses voting with their feet and moving here, to the GREAT state of Texas prove that Supply side works.

    Using incentives to increase privaye sector investment which leads to job creation is beyond the comprehension of someone who thinks that a Nation could and should spend its way to prosperity

    NY and California are both trying to emulate Texas's supply side iniatives by giving tax breaks to Companies that relocate their . NY gives a 10 year tax break to Companies that relocate there so dont tell me Supply side doesn't work, of course it does

    And Spain spending led to more than just a few ghost towns. Politicians were actually prosecuted which is what should have happened here.
    "Great state of Texas." There's a thread about Texas you should dig up..
    Jesus, we have a massive amount of excess capital, and businesses are hoarding dollars. A decrease in taxes isn't going to magically spark investment.
    I have never seen a thin person drinking Diet Coke. - Donald Trump

  2. #22
    Sage David_N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    The United States
    Last Seen
    09-19-16 @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,562

    Re: What makes people think cuts in government spending boost the economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Dave is using his usual tactics of cherry-picking, taking facts out of context and assuming correlation equals causation. He leaves out little details like the fact that cuts in gov't have a LONG TERM effect and only focuses on the short term. He ignores the fact that gov't's do not create wealth, they simply move it around and GDP is about the movement of wealth, not the creation of wealth.

    Ok, demonstrate evidence of the "long term effect."
    I have never seen a thin person drinking Diet Coke. - Donald Trump

  3. #23
    Professor
    pdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Searching for answers.
    Last Seen
    11-30-16 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,944

    Re: What makes people think cuts in government spending boost the economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    I'm not sure people think reduced government spending helps the economy. What they fear is that the temporary advantages of government overspending will finally come to an end and the ensuing crash will be miserable. It doesn't matter who prints the money. You cannot pick money from trees forever. It is not a sustainable activity. Just look at the what has happened to countries who have seen a loss in confidence in their currency.

    What does help the economy is a reduction in taxation because it leaves more money in the hands of taxpayers who can spend in a sustainable way. The left wing economics will eventually hurt us badly. It can't be otherwise.
    I understand the fear. What I don't understand is the actual mechanism that would cause such a thing to occur. I can think of no instance where "confidence" is the driving factor for currency value.

  4. #24
    Professor
    pdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Searching for answers.
    Last Seen
    11-30-16 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,944

    Re: What makes people think cuts in government spending boost the economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Supply side does work. Millions of Americans and thousands of bussineses voting with their feet and moving here, to the GREAT state of Texas prove that Supply side works.

    Using incentives to increase private sector investment which leads to job creation is beyond the comprehension of someone who thinks that a Nation could and should spend its way to prosperity

    NY and California are both trying to emulate Texas's supply side iniatives by giving tax breaks to Companies that relocate there . NY gives a 10 year tax break to Companies that relocate there so dont tell me Supply side doesn't work, of course it does

    And Spain spending led to more than just a few ghost towns. Politicians were actually prosecuted which is what should have happened here.
    Can I ask you a question? We agree on what inflation is right? To much demand chasing to little productivity? Can we agree on that? Can we also agree that inflation can happen sectoraly?

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,830

    Re: What makes people think cuts in government spending boost the economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Dave is using his usual tactics of cherry-picking, taking facts out of context and assuming correlation equals causation. He leaves out little details like the fact that cuts in gov't have a LONG TERM effect and only focuses on the short term. He ignores the fact that gov't's do not create wealth, they simply move it around and GDP is about the movement of wealth, not the creation of wealth.
    All very true regarding the OP. I'm still wondering exactly what "people" the OP might be referring to. I don't know of a soul who believes what is described.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,206

    Re: What makes people think cuts in government spending boost the economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by pdog View Post
    I understand the fear. What I don't understand is the actual mechanism that would cause such a thing to occur. I can think of no instance where "confidence" is the driving factor for currency value.
    It isn't. It is the loss of confidence in the value of currency that hurts. We have money that holds value because people believe it is valuable. Nothing backs up the dollar other than that belief because it actually has no intrinsic value. If the belief disappears then the money no longer has value or at best has less value. If the money loses value fast enough you have serious inflation and serious inflation has destroyed many an economy. Just look at Brazil half a century ago or look at prewar Germany.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,950

    Re: What makes people think cuts in government spending boost the economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by David_N View Post
    "Great state of Texas." There's a thread about Texas you should dig up..
    Jesus, we have a massive amount of excess capital, and businesses are hoarding dollars. A decrease in taxes isn't going to magically spark investment.
    There is one or two threads on Texas. How many more threads on fiscal stimulus are you going poison this forum with ? 10 more ? 20 more ?

    I use Texas as a OBVIOUS example of how SSE works. You post deficit spending threads ad nauseum, to the point where its trolling.

    And yea, Bussinessses ARE hoarding dolllars. WHY !!???

    No, its not because their " greedy " or " evil ", theyre responding to foolish Progessives policies that do the opposite of incentivizing private investment in our economy.

    Theyre spending in States like Texas and people from all over America are coming here because of it
    Last edited by Fenton; 04-29-16 at 09:42 AM.
    " If no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else ? "
    Ronald Reagan

  8. #28
    Sage David_N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    The United States
    Last Seen
    09-19-16 @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,562

    Re: What makes people think cuts in government spending boost the economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    All very true regarding the OP. I'm still wondering exactly what "people" the OP might be referring to. I don't know of a soul who believes what is described.
    You're telling me there aren't people who believe cuts in government spending help the economy? Jesus..
    I have never seen a thin person drinking Diet Coke. - Donald Trump

  9. #29
    Sage David_N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    The United States
    Last Seen
    09-19-16 @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,562

    Re: What makes people think cuts in government spending boost the economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    There is one or two threads on Texas. How many more threads on fiscal stimulus are you going poison this forum with ? 10 more ? 20 more ?

    I use Texas as a OBVIOUS example of how SSE works. You post deficit spending threads ad nauseum, to the point where its trolling.

    And yea, Bussinessses ARE hoarding dolllars. WHY !!???

    No, its not because their " greedy " or " evil ", theyre responding to foolish Progessives policies that do the opposite of incentivizing private investment in our economy.

    Theyre spending in States like Texas and people from all over America are coming here because of it
    Texas is a state that is not doing to well and is far behind on many measures. Dude, businesses are hoarding capital because there's not enough demand. Tax cuts for businesses aren't going to fix the problem. It's simply a fact. And if your only evidence is one state attracting some businesses from other states.. I laugh. The federal government is a different animal.
    I have never seen a thin person drinking Diet Coke. - Donald Trump

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,830

    Re: What makes people think cuts in government spending boost the economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by David_N View Post
    You're telling me there aren't people who believe cuts in government spending help the economy? Jesus..
    I didn't say that. I said I don't know of any. Why, there are people posting here who believe that LSD offers a religious experience. You can find some people who believe just about anything. You can't find people with any economic sense that believe what you've offered though. There certainly are people who believe government spending is out of control, but that is only a single part of a much larger problem. Jesus, indeed.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •