Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 161

Thread: The Powers of Government ...

  1. #1
    Guru


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    France
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,707

    The Powers of Government ...

    ... are delimited by the Constitution, including the Bill of Rights.

    The interpretation of those "limits" is defined by the Judiciary (that is the various courts and the Supreme Court).

    There is no variation in the above documents, whereas there are Great Variations in terms of their interpretation. Which are more or less large depending upon the prevailing sentiment.

    In fact, some think interpretation (of the Constitution) is historical in nature and thus passes in waves; changing every thirty of forty years and largely depending upon the nature of the Supreme Court. That is, whether the laws politicians pass by nature are consistent with - or not - the Constitution.

    So far, so good - no great evil has been done. But evil is in the eye of the beholder.

    And anyone with an "eye" for Social Democracy will say that the US is one of the most inequitable and unfair nations on earth.

    Whyzzat?

    Generally because the fruit of one's labor, revenue, are taxed and returned as "government services" is not sufficiently equitable. Meaning what? Meaning that they are not fair and impartial. (More than half of discretionary Federal Budget goes to just the DoD!)

    Beyond this general explanation, we delve into the nature of work, how it is compensated and whether that compensation has especially favored one group (workers) over another (producer-owners). How is that measured? In terms of after-tax revenues ...
    Last edited by Lafayette; 10-01-16 at 02:03 PM.
    Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them; then neither persons nor property will be safe. (Frederick Douglass)

  2. #2
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    04-22-17 @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    57,604

    Re: The Powers of Government ...

    What is your point? Taxes can't be fair to anyone by its very nature.

  3. #3
    Professor Brewdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Seen
    04-11-17 @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,870

    Re: The Powers of Government ...

    I would say that a progressive taxation violates the 14th Amendment. Having progressive tax rates is hardly "Equal protection."

  4. #4
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    UP of Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    964

    Re: The Powers of Government ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brewdog View Post
    I would say that a progressive taxation violates the 14th Amendment. Having progressive tax rates is hardly "Equal protection."
    Why should the Government be in the business of promoting marriage, home ownership or investment? Why not have a flat tax on business, capital gains and income, say 33-1/3%, 10% to the states and 23% to the Fed?

  5. #5
    Professor Brewdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Seen
    04-11-17 @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,870

    Re: The Powers of Government ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Exquisitor View Post
    Why should the Government be in the business of promoting marriage, home ownership or investment? Why not have a flat tax on business, capital gains and income, say 33-1/3%, 10% to the states and 23% to the Fed?
    That's way too much money. And it's what we have now on average. We have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. 35% plus state corporate tax can be 45% tax. And our voters are like, "F=ck yeah! Make those corporate b@stards pay!"

    And then all the jobs leave to go overseas. Yay America.

  6. #6
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,225

    Re: The Powers of Government ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brewdog View Post
    I would say that a progressive taxation violates the 14th Amendment. Having progressive tax rates is hardly "Equal protection."
    it violates the founding principles of America of the DOI, which the federal government by law said they would uphold many times.


    I am the President see me smile

  7. #7
    Sage

    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,293

    Re: The Powers of Government ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What is your point? Taxes can't be fair to anyone by its very nature.
    I would say that taxes can indeed be fair.

    That does not mean that all taxes ARE fair, but in general taxes designed properly can be quite fair.

    As a taxpayer, I consider the taxes on gasoline and certain other things to be a very fair way of building and maintaining road.

    As presently structured, what we call the income tax is very unfair, and our present tax code with all the accountant-created loopholes is very unfair.

  8. #8
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    73,207

    Re: The Powers of Government ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
    ... are delimited by the Constitution, including the Bill of Rights.

    The interpretation of those "limits" is defined by the Judiciary (that is the various courts and the Supreme Court).

    There is no variation in the above documents, whereas there are Great Variations in terms of their interpretation. Which are more or less large depending upon the prevailing sentiment.

    In fact, some think interpretation (of the Constitution) is historical in nature and thus passes in waves; changing every thirty of forty years and largely depending upon the nature of the Supreme Court. That is, whether the laws politicians pass by nature are consistent with - or not - the Constitution.

    So far, so good - no great evil has been done. But evil is in the eye of the beholder.

    And anyone with an "eye" for Social Democracy will say that the US is one of the most inequitable and unfair nations on earth.

    Whyzzat?

    Generally because the fruit of one's labor, revenue, are taxed and returned as "government services" is not sufficiently equitable. Meaning what? Meaning that they are not fair and impartial. (More than half of discretionary Federal Budget goes to just the DoD!)

    Beyond this general explanation, we delve into the nature of work, how it is compensated and whether that compensation has especially favored one group (workers) over another (producer-owners). How is that measured? In terms of after-tax revenues ...
    So the first thing you do is try and limit the pot of funding we debate about. Sorry, not going to let you go there. Most of the people didn't ask for money to be discretionary or non-discretionary. But the smart people know that non-discretionary is where liberals get all their power. That's why they like to ignore it, as untouchable.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #9
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,225

    Re: The Powers of Government ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    I would say that taxes can indeed be fair.

    That does not mean that all taxes ARE fair, but in general taxes designed properly can be quite fair.

    As a taxpayer, I consider the taxes on gasoline and certain other things to be a very fair way of building and maintaining road.

    As presently structured, what we call the income tax is very unfair, and our present tax code with all the accountant-created loopholes is very unfair.
    i took his post as direct taxes are not fair because they are a tax of force , indirect taxes are fair because they are not compulsory.


    I am the President see me smile

  10. #10
    Sage

    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,293

    Re: The Powers of Government ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Master PO View Post
    i took his post as direct taxes are not fair because they are a tax of force , indirect taxes are fair because they are not compulsory.
    I understand the difference between the 2 as mentioned in USC, and think the distinction is fair enough.

    If there is going to be a government, taxes are necessary IMO. I think how the taxes are spent is at least as important as how the taxes are collected.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •