Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 106

Thread: Which is more important: Freedom of Speech/Assembly or the Right to Keep & Bear Arms?

  1. #11
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Which is more important: Freedom of Speech/Assembly or the Right to Keep & Bear A

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That is so backwards. Without arms you will be shot when you open your mouth.
    I open my mouth all the time, have never owned a gun, have no interest in owning a gun, and I'm fairly certain I've never been shot.

  2. #12
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Which is more important: Freedom of Speech/Assembly or the Right to Keep & Bear A

    It's really very simple. In a civilized society, where people aren't evil and violent, then free speech protects your other rights. In a barbaric society, you need weapons because people won't respect the rights of others without being forced to. I'm extremely glad that the live in an overwhelmingly peaceful and civilized society. Yes, there is evil and violence, but it is the exception, not the norm.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    54,551

    Re: Which is more important: Freedom of Speech/Assembly or the Right to Keep & Bear A

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    I open my mouth all the time, have never owned a gun, have no interest in owning a gun, and I'm fairly certain I've never been shot.
    That is because the guns are out there and the government is just not interested in killing you.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    54,551

    Re: Which is more important: Freedom of Speech/Assembly or the Right to Keep & Bear A

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It's really very simple. In a civilized society, where people aren't evil and violent, then free speech protects your other rights. In a barbaric society, you need weapons because people won't respect the rights of others without being forced to. I'm extremely glad that the live in an overwhelmingly peaceful and civilized society. Yes, there is evil and violence, but it is the exception, not the norm.
    Can't always know what tomorrow holds.

  5. #15
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Which is more important: Freedom of Speech/Assembly or the Right to Keep & Bear A

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That is because the guns are out there and the government is just not interested in killing you.
    I agree that it's because the government has no interest in killing me. I think it really has very little to do with the fact that the guns are out there.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    51,039

    Re: Which is more important: Freedom of Speech/Assembly or the Right to Keep & Bear A

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Its seems like some of the folks who soooo strongly support the unabridged & umimpeded right to keep & bear arms, seem to waver in their commitment to Freedom of Speech & Assembly.

    ...and of course, the other way around.

    Which is more important: the Right to Keep & Bear Arms or Freedom of Speech & Assembly?

    and what good is the Right to have guns if you won't use them to defend your fellow Americans' freedom of speech?
    Both are equally important and should be upheld to their fullest.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #17
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:22 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,797
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Which is more important: Freedom of Speech/Assembly or the Right to Keep & Bear A

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Its seems like some of the folks who soooo strongly support the unabridged & umimpeded right to keep & bear arms, seem to waver in their commitment to Freedom of Speech & Assembly.

    ...and of course, the other way around.

    Which is more important: the Right to Keep & Bear Arms or Freedom of Speech & Assembly?

    and what good is the Right to have guns if you won't use them to defend your fellow Americans' freedom of speech?
    I agree with the argument that the 2nd amendment was intended to preserve people the ability to defend themselves--not only against indians, outlaws, and hunger--but against a tyrannical government.

    However, guns can just as easily be used by a minority to override the will of the majority. Freedom of speech doesn't carry with it as great a danger, and is often more effective a tool for keeping the government in check than marching against it with a gun. For that reason, I pick Freedom of Speech.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,618

    Re: Which is more important: Freedom of Speech/Assembly or the Right to Keep & Bear A

    They are both vitally important and indispensible. Both are, IMO, virtually the sine-qua-non of freedom.






    If you're going to tie this into OWS, though, freedom to peaceably assemble doesn't apply to law-breaking squatters.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #19
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Which is more important: Freedom of Speech/Assembly or the Right to Keep & Bear A

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    If you're going to tie this into OWS, though, freedom to peaceably assemble doesn't apply to law-breaking squatters.

    It actually does, but I don't think anyone was goes to make that connection. Like with all rights, removing the means to exercise it is just as unconstitutional as directly prohibiting it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Can't always know what tomorrow holds.
    No, I can't. But I do know what today and yesterday held. Rule of law in this country doesn't come from force, or from weapons. It comes from people's dedication. Even the unelected business owners whose money controls the political process in this country respect (to some degree) the rule of law. They twist and abuse it, but they attempt to work within it. You don't see assassins killing corporate rivals, do you? And when political leaders commit crimes (like Nixon's administration), they are still held accountable, because the people of this nation still believe in the rule of law. People don't believe in it as much lately, hence why so many indiscretions were allowed by the last administration.

    I can't know what tomorrow will hold, but I can know what it probably will hold. History shows us a consistent march towards peace and order. I have little doubt that this trend will continue.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  10. #20
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    162,263

    Re: Which is more important: Freedom of Speech/Assembly or the Right to Keep & Bear A

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yep, this one. Because with this one, I could get all the other rights lost back.
    I think its the other way around. If someone tries to stifle freedom of speech and we can kill them we can protect that right as well as others.

    when an oppressive government has a monopoly on firepower, all of your rights are subject to its whim

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •