Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Feds Collecting Parents' Alleged Debts from Children

  1. #1
    Traveler
    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,424
    Likes Received
    7150 times
    Likes Given
    2504
    Blog Entries
    2

    Feds Collecting Parents' Alleged Debts from Children

    Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents’ decades-old debts - The Washington Post

    Across the nation, hundreds of thousands of taxpayers who are expecting refunds this month are instead getting letters like the one Grice got, informing them that because of a debt they never knew about — often a debt incurred by their parents — the government has confiscated their check.


    The Treasury Department has intercepted $1.9 billion in tax refunds already this year — $75 million of that on debts delinquent for more than 10 years, said Jeffrey Schramek, assistant commissioner of the department’s debt management service. The aggressive effort to collect old debts started three years ago — the result of a single sentence tucked into the farm bill lifting the 10-year statute of limitations on old debts to Uncle Sam.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #2
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 09:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,809
    Likes Received
    12449 times
    Likes Given
    8726

    Re: Feds Collecting Parents' Alleged Debts from Children

    I find it a little disturbing that they would go after people who MAY have received benefits as minors (or who never received benefits at all) because the government screwed up.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #3
    Traveler
    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,424
    Likes Received
    7150 times
    Likes Given
    2504
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Feds Collecting Parents' Alleged Debts from Children

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I find it a little disturbing that they would go after people who MAY have received benefits as minors (or who never received benefits at all) because the government screwed up.
    Yup.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #4
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,389
    Likes Received
    3209 times
    Likes Given
    12485

    Re: Feds Collecting Parents' Alleged Debts from Children

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I find it a little disturbing that they would go after people who MAY have received benefits as minors (or who never received benefits at all) because the government screwed up.
    One would think by now that the government would learn that doing these sorts of stupid things is a good way to get stung by lots of very unhappy people.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  5. #5
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,500
    Likes Received
    760 times
    Likes Given
    114

    Re: Feds Collecting Parents' Alleged Debts from Children

    This doesn't seem legal to me. Debts tend to be forgiven upon death unless your next of kin is attached to the accounts. Damn, the big bad evil greedy corporations don't even do this.

  6. #6
    .

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    28,702
    Likes Received
    11220 times
    Likes Given
    15972
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Feds Collecting Parents' Alleged Debts from Children

    Kids are not liable for their parent's debts. It is that simple.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,918
    Likes Received
    1990 times
    Likes Given
    995

    Re: Feds Collecting Parents' Alleged Debts from Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents’ decades-old debts - The Washington Post

    Across the nation, hundreds of thousands of taxpayers who are expecting refunds this month are instead getting letters like the one Grice got, informing them that because of a debt they never knew about — often a debt incurred by their parents — the government has confiscated their check.


    The Treasury Department has intercepted $1.9 billion in tax refunds already this year — $75 million of that on debts delinquent for more than 10 years, said Jeffrey Schramek, assistant commissioner of the department’s debt management service. The aggressive effort to collect old debts started three years ago — the result of a single sentence tucked into the farm bill lifting the 10-year statute of limitations on old debts to Uncle Sam.
    Anybody who lets the government take their money all year long and then give it back with no interest get every thing they deserve.

  8. #8
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039
    Likes Received
    1514 times
    Likes Given
    1982

    Re: Feds Collecting Parents' Alleged Debts from Children

    This is no surprise. We have one of the stupidest civil services in the Western world because we've rejected hiring on merit and instead use the civil service as a dumping ground for affirmative action:

    The United States Civil service exams have since been abolished for many positions, since statistics show that they do not accurately allow hiring of minorities according to the affirmative action guidelines.

    Daily tales of idiocy of this grade don't happen in other nations. They actually have a civil service which is competent.

    Who in the Federal Government thought that going after the children of dead people for 30 year old over-payments was a good idea?

  9. #9
    Professor
    Respecthelect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-25-14 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,472
    Likes Received
    965 times
    Likes Given
    759

    Re: Feds Collecting Parents' Alleged Debts from Children

    We voted for it and it's about to get much worse. All this free government (health care, welfare, unemployment, medicaid, minimum wage, war on women, etc.) isn't free. Retirement accounts are next. They'll slip in one sentence taxing retirement accounts and your lifetime's work will be gone in an instant. Keep up the good work liberals.

    .

  10. #10
    Sage

    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    12-16-14 @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,850
    Likes Received
    31370 times
    Likes Given
    43098
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Feds Collecting Parents' Alleged Debts from Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    This doesn't seem legal to me. Debts tend to be forgiven upon death unless your next of kin is attached to the accounts. Damn, the big bad evil greedy corporations don't even do this.
    Debts are not forgiven upon death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •