Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By Imnukingfutz
  • 1 Post By MaggieD
  • 1 Post By Imnukingfutz
  • 1 Post By Imnukingfutz
  • 1 Post By MaggieD

Thread: An excellent article from Charley Reese - his final column for the Orlando Sentinel

  1. #1
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    04-13-14 @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,096
    Likes Received
    408 times
    Likes Given
    69

    An excellent article from Charley Reese - his final column for the Orlando Sentinel

    Charley Reese's Final column!

    A very interesting column. COMPLETELY NEUTRAL.
    Be sure to Read the Poem at the end..

    Charley Reese's final column for the Orlando Sentinel... He has been a journalist for 49 years. He is retiring and this is HIS LAST COLUMN.

    Be sure to read the Tax List at the end.

    This is about as clear and easy to understand as it can be. The article below is completely neutral, neither anti-republican or democrat. Charlie Reese, a retired reporter for the Orlando Sentinel, has hit the nail directly on the head, defining clearly who it is that in the final analysis must assume responsibility for the judgments made that impact each one of us every day. It's a short but good read. Worth the time. Worth remembering!

    545 vs. 300,000,000 People
    -By Charlie Reese

    Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

    Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?

    Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?

    You and I don't propose a federal budget. The President does.

    You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

    You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

    You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

    You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.

    One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one President, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

    I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.

    I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a President to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

    Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

    What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits.. ( The President can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.)

    The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House?( John Boehner. He is the leader of the majority party. He and fellow House members, not the President, can approve any budget they want. ) If the President vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to. [The House has passed a budget but the Senate has not approved a budget in over three years. The President's proposed budgets have gotten almost unanimous rejections in the Senate in that time. ]

    It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

    If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.

    If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red.

    If the Army & Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan it's because they want them in Iraq and Afghanistan ..

    If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.

    There are no insoluble government problems.

    Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power.
    Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation," or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

    Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible. They, and they alone, have the power.

    They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses. Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees... We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!

    Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.

    What you do with this article now that you have read it... is up to you.
    This might be funny if it weren't so true.
    Be sure to read all the way to the end:

    Tax his land,
    Tax his bed,
    Tax the table,
    At which he's fed.

    Tax his tractor,
    Tax his mule,
    Teach him taxes
    Are the rule.

    Tax his work,
    Tax his pay,
    He works for
    peanuts anyway!

    Tax his cow,
    Tax his goat,
    Tax his pants,
    Tax his coat.

    Tax his ties,
    Tax his shirt,
    Tax his work,
    Tax his dirt.

    Tax his tobacco,
    Tax his drink,
    Tax him if he
    Tries to think.

    Tax his cigars,
    Tax his beers,
    If he cries
    Tax his tears.

    Tax his car,
    Tax his gas,
    Find other ways
    To tax his ass.

    Tax all he has
    Then let him know
    That you won't be done
    Till he has no dough.

    When he screams and hollers;
    Then tax him some more,
    Tax him till
    He's good and sore.

    Then tax his coffin,
    Tax his grave,
    Tax the sod in
    Which he's laid...

    Put these words
    Upon his tomb,
    'Taxes drove me
    to my doom...'

    When he's gone,
    Do not relax,
    Its time to apply
    The inheritance tax.
    Accounts Receivable Tax
    Building Permit Tax
    CDL license Tax
    Cigarette Tax
    Corporate Income Tax
    Dog License Tax
    Excise Taxes
    Federal Income Tax
    Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
    Fishing License Tax
    Food License Tax
    Fuel Permit Tax
    Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
    Gross Receipts Tax
    Hunting License Tax
    Inheritance Tax
    Inventory Tax
    IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
    Liquor Tax
    Luxury Taxes
    Marriage License Tax
    Medicare Tax
    Personal Property Tax
    Property Tax
    Real Estate Tax
    Service Charge Tax
    Social Security Tax
    Road Usage Tax
    Recreational Vehicle Tax
    Sales Tax
    School Tax
    State Income Tax
    State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
    Telephone Federal Excise Tax
    Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
    Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
    Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
    Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
    Telephone State and Local Tax
    Telephone Usage Charge Tax
    Utility Taxes
    Vehicle License Registration Tax
    Vehicle Sales Tax
    Watercraft Registration Tax
    Well Permit Tax
    Workers Compensation Tax

    STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
    Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

    What in the heck happened? Can you spell 'politicians?'
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  2. #2
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,857
    Likes Received
    9632 times
    Likes Given
    10577

    Re: An excellent article from Charley Reese - his final column for the Orlando Sentin

    Great article, yet the voters generally don't care. Most are simply sheeple that willingly accept almost any law, since if that law is disobeyed (and they get caught) then they will get bad marks on their "permanent record", making them lose even more what little freedom they had left. What one must realize is that each law passed by our congress critters, and blessed by our nine robed umpires, takes away a little bit more of our freedom, all for a good cause we are always told, just for our own good. Taxes are a necessary function of gov't yet are largely used for social engineering purposes and not simply to collect revenue - some go out of their way to ensure that they apply only to a minority of voters, lest they are too "unpopular" to allow re-election.

    Our FIT code is a fine example, 90% of it is not based on "taxing income from all sources" to simply get revenue, but taxing that income based on how (and upon who) it was later spent - herding the sheeple in the way that the gov't wants our paychecks to be spent. What in our Constitution allows for taxation of two citizens, working side by side for exactly the same pay, at exactly the same job, to pay differing amounts of taxation? This seems to directly defy the 14th amendment, as well as the spirit of the 16th amendment, requiring equal protection of the laws. Someone needs to throw the challenge flag and get this play reviewed by our nine robed umpires!
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #3
    Sage


    Henry David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,809
    Likes Received
    1372 times
    Likes Given
    5700

    Re: An excellent article from Charley Reese - his final column for the Orlando Sentin

    I sure do miss Charley Reese! Pretty much everything he said was right on the money.

  4. #4
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    04-15-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,484
    Likes Received
    2790 times
    Likes Given
    8137

    Re: An excellent article from Charley Reese - his final column for the Orlando Sentin

    I don't agree with the article. This idea that politicians are forcing entitlements or war upon us why we kick and scream (and vote them back in!).

    The problem is American voters want lower taxes. American voters want a large military force. American voters want entitlement programs.

    THE ONLY! thing you can blame on politicians is the fact that they take each of those messages or policies and never talk about what they require. If you want lower taxes....you can't have entitlements and a large military. If you want a large military or entitlements you have to be taxed for it.

    So really....this article seems to strip responsibility from American voters and heap it on politicians which is just unfair and an rejection of responsibilities by US citizens.

    One of the most Popular Presidents of the modern era Reagan had massive deficits, increased spending on the military, made a point to not cut entitlements, and lowered taxes. That's what Americans want.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #5
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    27,509
    Likes Received
    28021 times
    Likes Given
    39523
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: An excellent article from Charley Reese - his final column for the Orlando Sentin

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    Charley Reese's Final column!
    No, it really isn't. Charley Reese himself called all of the bastardizations of his column "Frankenstein Versions." This one's no different. If you want to read the real column? Click here: snopes.com: Charley Reese's Final Column

    Much more succinct. All the tax references listed above? Frankenstein did it.

  6. #6
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    04-13-14 @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,096
    Likes Received
    408 times
    Likes Given
    69

    Re: An excellent article from Charley Reese - his final column for the Orlando Sentin

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    No, it really isn't. Charley Reese himself called all of the bastardizations of his column "Frankenstein Versions." This one's no different. If you want to read the real column? Click here: snopes.com: Charley Reese's Final Column

    Much more succinct. All the tax references listed above? Frankenstein did it.
    OK, so someone added the list of taxes and the peom...OK, so...that doesnt make the crux of what he said any less truthful.

    The column was good, interesting as hell. He hit the nail on the head, things are the way they are because thats the way they want them.

    Things could be very different if they would get their collective heads out of their collective asses and actually do something about it.

    There is an old saying - Lead, follow or get out of the way
    They have proved they cant lead, I believe they are too stupid and ignorant to follow so they need to just get out the way and let others fix the things they refuse to fix.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  7. #7
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    04-13-14 @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,096
    Likes Received
    408 times
    Likes Given
    69

    Re: An excellent article from Charley Reese - his final column for the Orlando Sentin

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Great article, yet the voters generally don't care. Most are simply sheeple that willingly accept almost any law, since if that law is disobeyed (and they get caught) then they will get bad marks on their "permanent record", making them lose even more what little freedom they had left. What one must realize is that each law passed by our congress critters, and blessed by our nine robed umpires, takes away a little bit more of our freedom, all for a good cause we are always told, just for our own good. Taxes are a necessary function of gov't yet are largely used for social engineering purposes and not simply to collect revenue - some go out of their way to ensure that they apply only to a minority of voters, lest they are too "unpopular" to allow re-election.

    Our FIT code is a fine example, 90% of it is not based on "taxing income from all sources" to simply get revenue, but taxing that income based on how (and upon who) it was later spent - herding the sheeple in the way that the gov't wants our paychecks to be spent. What in our Constitution allows for taxation of two citizens, working side by side for exactly the same pay, at exactly the same job, to pay differing amounts of taxation? This seems to directly defy the 14th amendment, as well as the spirit of the 16th amendment, requiring equal protection of the laws. Someone needs to throw the challenge flag and get this play reviewed by our nine robed umpires!
    Our 9 robed umpires (I like that description) are as corrupt as the rest of them.

    Do you actually expect the government to tell the government it is doing something wrong? Thats the problem with Judicial review...it is not a power given to the courts, just assumed to make it appear that the government is looking over itself.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  8. #8
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    27,509
    Likes Received
    28021 times
    Likes Given
    39523
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: An excellent article from Charley Reese - his final column for the Orlando Sentin

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    OK, so someone added the list of taxes and the peom...OK, so...that doesnt make the crux of what he said any less truthful.

    The column was good, interesting as hell. He hit the nail on the head, things are the way they are because thats the way they want them.

    Things could be very different if they would get their collective heads out of their collective asses and actually do something about it.

    There is an old saying - Lead, follow or get out of the way
    They have proved they cant lead, I believe they are too stupid and ignorant to follow so they need to just get out the way and let others fix the things they refuse to fix.
    Oh, I think you're absolutely right. I got so wrapped up in the Frankenstein analogy I forgot to talk about the crux of your post. It's an excellent letter. All of us should read it at least once a year. I've read it many times and written narrative around and about it. The absolute best.

    The first line is a doozy.

  9. #9
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    none
    Last Seen
    12-12-13 @ 01:18 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,634
    Likes Received
    599 times
    Likes Given
    586
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: An excellent article from Charley Reese - his final column for the Orlando Sentin

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I don't agree with the article. This idea that politicians are forcing entitlements or war upon us why we kick and scream (and vote them back in!).

    The problem is American voters want lower taxes. American voters want a large military force. American voters want entitlement programs.

    THE ONLY! thing you can blame on politicians is the fact that they take each of those messages or policies and never talk about what they require. If you want lower taxes....you can't have entitlements and a large military. If you want a large military or entitlements you have to be taxed for it.

    So really....this article seems to strip responsibility from American voters and heap it on politicians which is just unfair and an rejection of responsibilities by US citizens.

    One of the most Popular Presidents of the modern era Reagan had massive deficits, increased spending on the military, made a point to not cut entitlements, and lowered taxes. That's what Americans want.
    I disagree. The American people want what they are told that they want. Doing the right thing could be so easy. It's just that doing the wrong thing, most of the time, is so much more profitable... for them, that is.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,981
    Likes Received
    6760 times
    Likes Given
    3209
    Blog Entries
    14

    Re: An excellent article from Charley Reese - his final column for the Orlando Sentin

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    The problem is American voters want lower taxes. American voters want a large military force. American voters want entitlement programs.
    The founders originally structured our federal government to be a small, limited one, not the monster it has become.

    Americans wanting lower taxes isn't the problem, because that's the way it was supposed to be in the first place. Americans wanting a larger military force also isn't a problem, because that was one of the few functions the founders intended of the federal government in the first place. Even Americans wanting entitlements is fine, but it's up to the politicians to make them work, make them financially sound, or tell the American people that it won't work and it simply can't be done. That's supposed to be their job.

    The problem is, politics has been allowed to become a lifetime career for politicians, instead of being a part time civic duty like it was originally meant to be. So instead of having congressmen, Senators, and executives who come to Washington in order to manage the nation to the best of their ability, we have a bunch of self centered, out of touch men and women who's only priority is doing and saying whatever it takes in order to get reelected and keep the gravy train of cash flowing into their bank accounts.

    Todays over bloated, over reaching, intrusive federal government on the verge of financial collapse, didn't come to be because the American people wanted, or demanded it to be this way... It's because politicians knowingly allowed it to become this way in order to serve their own personal needs, rather than serving the needs of the nation as they were elected to do.

    Now more than ever, we need to demand complete government accountability on everything they do, impose strict term limits for every elected official, and put an end to the "career politician" in America.
    Last edited by Grim17; 02-01-13 at 10:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Hey pbrauer, I am willing to put my ability to make politically neutral media observations to the test, and was wondering if you would be willing to do the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    No thanks, Grim.
    NUFF SAID!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •