Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

  1. #1
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54
    Likes Received
    18 times
    Likes Given
    0

    Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

    Probably the most common reason for short and long term disability and man/woman hours lost from work.
    Locatted behind from last rib down to bottom of sacrum (tail bone). 1. first rule for self treatment: never USE HEAT ON YOUR BACK OR FOR ANY SPINAL PAIN. It feels good when using it but it will prolong the inflamation and may spread pain into the sciatic nerves as well as promoting swellin in and around the involved spinal disc. Use ice over protected skin for 20-30 min every three hours if pain is 5 plus, less frequent if below 5.
    Rule 2: moving vs remaining in one position is reccommended, sit 20 min, walk 10min but do not stand still. If you must stand in one place keep one foot on a low object and switch feet, that will reduce pain while standing ( the bar rail principle).
    Much more info to come-I need to walk around a bit.
    Last edited by warbaby; 02-14-15 at 09:09 AM.

  2. #2
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54
    Likes Received
    18 times
    Likes Given
    0

    Re: Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

    When the sacroiliac joints ( on both sides of the sacrum/tail bone) are painful and underlying pathology has been eliminated a simple treament will often resolve the pain. Sacro-0occipital Technique (SOT_ uses 8x4" wedges which are plaaced under the pelvis/hips while lying on the floor for 30-60 sec. This is a highly effective treatment which can be performed at home. The placement of the wedges depends in the side of the functional short leg. You can fashion wedges by stuffing your sneakers with socks or face towels. To learn how to use this method find a chiropractor who is familiar with The SOT protocol.
    Te

  3. #3
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,624
    Likes Received
    5533 times
    Likes Given
    5254

    Re: Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

    I think the biggest contributor to lower back pain is having a weak core.
    "A politician is a fellow that will lay down your life for his country." -Texas Guinan

  4. #4
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    61,797
    Likes Received
    15900 times
    Likes Given
    10168

    Re: Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I think the biggest contributor to lower back pain is having a weak core.




    weak core, and lack of flexibility in the certain muscle groups.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  5. #5
    Student Faydra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
    Last Seen
    06-23-15 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    291
    Likes Received
    288 times
    Likes Given
    269
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

    Funny you mention this today, I woke up and felt a tweak.

    Are you psychic?

  6. #6
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54
    Likes Received
    18 times
    Likes Given
    0

    Re: Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    weak core, and lack of flexibility in the certain muscle groups.
    Yes, weakness of core muscles may predispose one to back injury if the stresses exceed the ability of the muscles to stabilize the spine. Strong core muscles, however, must be balanced right to left and front to back to provide stability.

  7. #7
    Sage


    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,707
    Likes Received
    2901 times
    Likes Given
    6771

    Re: Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

    Quote Originally Posted by warbaby View Post
    Yes, weakness of core muscles may predispose one to back injury if the stresses exceed the ability of the muscles to stabilize the spine. Strong core muscles, however, must be balanced right to left and front to back to provide stability.


    I have had a varied career that required robust physical exertion in some stints.

    The various reaching, bending, lifting, squatting, walking and so on things that I did often had their impact on the muscles in my back and heat was great for that.

    In my later 50's, back problems started up in my spine and the heat treatments that had worked previously were a disaster and only prolonged the pain. The pain was extreme and unremitting.

    Now, the issue is the sciatica. First it was the left hip and leg and more recently the right hip and leg.

    My shorter leg is my right one and it seems to have helped me to put a 1/4 inch pad in my right shoe during the day.

    I exercise and stretch daily and this seems to be the best response to the condition for me. Without the exercise and stretching which I occasionally miss for two days at a time, the pain returns and resuming the exercise seems to chase it away again.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,461
    Likes Received
    8648 times
    Likes Given
    8488

    Re: Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

    Mine is upper back pain. They now call it osteo arthritis. There is disintegration of some of the vertibrea around the base of the neck, I can hear a crushed glass sound when I turn my neck.

    Although I have always been physically active in sports, hockey, scuba diving, mountain climbing etc., the cause is not physical activity. The cause is having spent so many years hunched over a typewriter pounding out news stories for hourly deadlines, the stress of live broadcasting and later management.

    Stress. We as a society don't just sit anymore, like my grandfather did, parked on the front porch doing nothing but saying hello to passersby. He worked hard, manual labour in the depression, and he lived to 88 and not one complaint of back pain
    "We are the President." First lady Hillary Rodham Clinton.

  9. #9
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54
    Likes Received
    18 times
    Likes Given
    0

    Re: Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Mine is upper back pain. They now call it osteo arthritis. There is disintegration of some of the vertibrea around the base of the neck, I can hear a crushed glass sound when I turn my neck.

    Although I have always been physically active in sports, hockey, scuba diving, mountain climbing etc., the cause is not physical activity. The cause is having spent so many years hunched over a typewriter pounding out news stories for hourly deadlines, the stress of live broadcasting and later management.

    Stress. We as a society don't just sit anymore, like my grandfather did, parked on the front porch doing nothing but saying hello to passersby. He worked hard, manual labour in the depression, and he lived to 88 and not one complaint of back pain
    Failed biomechanics of the spine result in degeneration of the discs, bone surfaces and bursal tissue. This results from over uses or poor posture or both. Stretching properly to increase spinal motion (gently) may be beneficial to both of you. Slowly remodeling the front to back spinal curves may relieve pain and stiffness.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,461
    Likes Received
    8648 times
    Likes Given
    8488

    Re: Let's Talk About Low Back Pain

    Quote Originally Posted by warbaby View Post
    Failed biomechanics of the spine result in degeneration of the discs, bone surfaces and bursal tissue. This results from over uses or poor posture or both. Stretching properly to increase spinal motion (gently) may be beneficial to both of you. Slowly remodeling the front to back spinal curves may relieve pain and stiffness.
    I'm 65. I take naps.

    I have no real pain unless I'm stupid enough to try something a 40 year old would do

    Oh when first detected in my 30's an internist suggested I build up muscle to protect it. I joined a gym and went from a 42" suit to a 44 tall, and never worried much about it until I tried pruning hedged and trees in my 50's
    "We are the President." First lady Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •