Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: realclimate.org, solid source or PR firm of fear?

  1. #1
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,926
    Blog Entries
    16

    realclimate.org, solid source or PR firm of fear?

    RealClimate.org,
    That's like taking a Marlboro paid PR Firm's website as truth.

    Jfuh, no wonder you got it all bass ackwards, you visit a PR's website for your truth... spoon fed koolaide.

    If you’ve ever been advised to steer clear of a food, beverage, or other consumer product based on the claims of a nonprofit organization, you’ve likely been “spun” by Fenton’s multi-million-dollar message machine -- and Environmental Media Services (EMS) has probably been the messenger.
    EMS is the communications arm of leftist public relations firm Fenton Communications. Based in Washington, in the same office suite as Fenton, EMS claims to be “providing journalists with the most current information on environmental issues.” A more accurate assessment might be that it spoon-feeds the news media sensationalized stories, based on questionable science, and featuring activist “experts,” all designed to promote and enrich David Fenton’s paying clients, and build credibility for the nonprofit ones. It’s a clever racket, and EMS & Fenton have been running it since 1994.


    Afraid to eat dairy products from cows that have been treated with hormones to produce extra milk? Scared that the hormone, which the FDA calls “entirely safe,” will make its way into your body and cause cancer or other irreparable damage? Beginning with a huge press conference in 1998, EMS pushed that very message relentlessly for over two years. And they did it on behalf of Ben & Jerry’s, a paying Fenton client. Why would Ben & Jerry’s care? Because their ice cream is made with hormone-free milk, and David Fenton calculated that a little health hysteria would drive customers to their “alternative” product quite nicely.

    Environmental Media Services
    Now how the hell did I end up with that Quote?

    Why I used WHOIS!
    According to Internet Records Found at WHOIS:
    Page Not Found | Network Solutions...

    Domain ID105219760-LROR
    Domain Name:REALCLIMATE.ORG
    Created On:19-Nov-2004 16:39:03 UTC
    Last Updated On:30-Oct-2005 21:10:46 UTC
    Expiration Date:19-Nov-2007 16:39:03 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:eNom, Inc. (R39-LROR)
    Status:OK
    Registrant ID:B133AE74B8066012
    Registrant Name:Betsy Ensley
    Registrant Organization:Environmental Media Services
    Registrant Street1:1320 18th St, NW
    Registrant Street2:5th Floor
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Washington
    Registrant State/ProvinceC
    Registrant Postal Code:20036
    Registrant Country:US
    Registrant Phone:+1.2024636670
    realclimate.org WHOIS domain registration information from Network Solutions
    And from there I wanted to know who is Betsy Ensley!

    Betsy Ensley, Web Editor/Program Coordinator: Betsy joined the staff of EMS in April 2002 as a program assistant for EMS's toxics program.Presently, she manages BushGreenwatch.org, a joint EMS-MoveOn.org public awareness website, and coordinates environmental community media efforts to protect and improve environmental and public health safeguards.Before coming to EMS, Betsy interned at the U.S. Department of State in the office of the Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.Betsy graduated with honors from the University of Iowa in 2000, where she majored in Global Studies with thematic focus on war, peace and security.She minored in Asian languages.
    Betsy Ensley: ZoomInfo Business People Information

    So "RealClimate.org" is part of the EMS group of loud, paid activist. It's even part moveon.org.


    So by all means, please Jfuh, and others, keep pushing "RealClimate.org" as non-biased, and we'll spend time laughing at you.

  2. #2
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: realclimate.org, solid source or PR firm of fear?

    Congratulations!

    You are, however, not disputing the fact that global warming exists, and the climate is changing because of human impact. Even if you wish to ignore the facts of most Greenhouse gases, and how they contribute to light being trapped here on Earth, you cannot dispute the relationship between the growing termite and cow population and methane (and methane's effect on global warming).

    You cannot, and have not, disputed the effects of acid rains. Especially on the controlled projects in New Hampshire (how it corrodes nutrients from the vegetation, thus lowering the amount of "breathing" the earth can do whenever the plants are undergoing photosynthesis).
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  3. #3
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,926
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: realclimate.org, solid source or PR firm of fear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    Congratulations!

    You are, however, not disputing the fact that global warming exists, and the climate is changing because of human impact. Even if you wish to ignore the facts of most Greenhouse gases, and how they contribute to light being trapped here on Earth, you cannot dispute the relationship between the growing termite and cow population and methane (and methane's effect on global warming).

    You cannot, and have not, disputed the effects of acid rains. Especially on the controlled projects in New Hampshire (how it corrodes nutrients from the vegetation, thus lowering the amount of "breathing" the earth can do whenever the plants are undergoing photosynthesis).

    The point of this thread isn't about AGW, Acid rain or any other POINTLESS sidetracking you have attempted to bring into it. This thread is dedicated to those that run to "realclimate.org" as an authoritative source of information. It's not, it's propaganda. There are plenty of AGW threads, why don't you go find one, or start your own? Instead of going completely off topic.

  4. #4
    Sage
    jfuh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Rim
    Last Seen
    01-20-12 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    16,631

    Re: realclimate.org, solid source or PR firm of fear?

    So let me get this straight.
    Are you vic, telling the board, that sources with a probable bias are piss poor and invalid to actual debate?

    Because if that is the case that you are trying to present, I'll make doubly sure that next time you use cricton's sci fi book I'll remind you of this thread.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,926
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: realclimate.org, solid source or PR firm of fear?

    Quote Originally Posted by jfuh View Post
    So let me get this straight.
    Are you vic, telling the board, that sources with a probable bias are piss poor and invalid to actual debate?

    Because if that is the case that you are trying to present, I'll make doubly sure that next time you use cricton's sci fi book I'll remind you of this thread.
    I wasn't using his book to prove anything. I merely offered it as a RESOURCE for MG to read, it has good information in it, and tells a gripping tale. Whether it sways her or not is immaterial.

    It's a good story regardless. It's an interesting and thought provoking.

    You push RealClimate.org, a paid PR site run by people with a serious bias... and this from the guy that demands "Peer reviewed" papers. I felt perhaps you should be shown the error of your way, and if you choose to continue to use it... well that would say everything about you.

  6. #6
    Sage
    jfuh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Rim
    Last Seen
    01-20-12 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    16,631

    Re: realclimate.org, solid source or PR firm of fear?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I wasn't using his book to prove anything. I merely offered it as a RESOURCE for MG to read, it has good information in it, and tells a gripping tale. Whether it sways her or not is immaterial.

    It's a good story regardless. It's an interesting and thought provoking.

    You push RealClimate.org, a paid PR site run by people with a serious bias... and this from the guy that demands "Peer reviewed" papers. I felt perhaps you should be shown the error of your way, and if you choose to continue to use it... well that would say everything about you.
    The fiction novel is pointless - do you know what fiction means?
    I suppose that is why you are still in denial, because you get your information from fictional sources.

  7. #7
    Student DAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    18042
    Last Seen
    12-31-18 @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    181

    Re: realclimate.org, solid source or PR firm of fear?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    You push RealClimate.org, a paid PR site run by people with a serious bias... and this from the guy that demands "Peer reviewed" papers. I felt perhaps you should be shown the error of your way, and if you choose to continue to use it... well that would say everything about you.
    Just for the heck of it, I checked out the credentials of the RealClimate.org contributors. With the exception of William Connolley, who was a climate modeller with the British Antarctic Survey, and is now a software engineer, all other contributors are scientists with multiple published works, in peer-reviewed journals, within the climate sciences. Check it out:

    Thibault de Garidel-Thoron

    Stefan Rahmstorf

    Raymod T. Pierrehumbert

    Raymond S. Bradley

    Rasmus Benestad

    Michael E. Mann

    Dr. Gavin A. Schmidt

    Eric J. Steig

    David Archer

    Caspar Michael Ammann

    These guys kinda look like real scientists who are qualified to comment on AGW to me. I care much more about the credentials of the RealClimate.org contributors than who administers their web servers.

    Regards,
    DAR
    Back o' the bus, white boy.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,926
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: realclimate.org, solid source or PR firm of fear?

    Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    Just for the heck of it, I checked out the credentials of the RealClimate.org contributors. With the exception of William Connolley, who was a climate modeller with the British Antarctic Survey, and is now a software engineer, all other contributors are scientists with multiple published works, in peer-reviewed journals, within the climate sciences. Check it out:

    Thibault de Garidel-Thoron

    Stefan Rahmstorf

    Raymod T. Pierrehumbert

    Raymond S. Bradley

    Rasmus Benestad

    Michael E. Mann

    Dr. Gavin A. Schmidt

    Eric J. Steig

    David Archer

    Caspar Michael Ammann

    These guys kinda look like real scientists who are qualified to comment on AGW to me. I care much more about the credentials of the RealClimate.org contributors than who administers their web servers.

    Regards,
    DAR
    Dude, that list.. see the hockey stick Mann? Yeah, that should tell you something. These are people with an agenda, getting paid to promote that agenda, they are not scientist, they are activist.

  9. #9
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: realclimate.org, solid source or PR firm of fear?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Dude, that list.. see the hockey stick Mann? Yeah, that should tell you something. These are people with an agenda, getting paid to promote that agenda, they are not scientist, they are activist.
    Oh, so please show me a scientist who is without an agenda. One that brings absolutely no biased to any of their research, and one who is not passionate (or an activist, as you like to flame) about a particular subject and I will prove to you exactly where you are wrong and how foolish it makes your argument appear.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  10. #10
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,926
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: realclimate.org, solid source or PR firm of fear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    Oh, so please show me a scientist who is without an agenda. One that brings absolutely no biased to any of their research, and one who is not passionate (or an activist, as you like to flame) about a particular subject and I will prove to you exactly where you are wrong and how foolish it makes your argument appear.

    So you have no problem with scientist with a political, economic and personal agenda? Good to hear. Is that the new line?

    Hey "all scientist" have an agenda so who cares if they are biased?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •