Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 240

Thread: Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns

  1. #1
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    18,830

    Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns

    Climate sceptics' criticisms of the evidence for global warming make no difference to the emerging picture of a warming world, according to the most comprehensive, independent review of historical temperature records to date.

    Researchers at the Berkeley Earth project compiled more than a billion temperature records dating back to the 1800s from 15 sources around the world and found that the average global land temperature has risen by around 1C since the mid-1950s.
    This figure agrees with the estimate of global warming arrived at by major groups that maintain official records on the world's climate, includingNasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa), and the Met Office's Hadley Centre, with the University of East Anglia, in the UK.


    Read more here: Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns | Environment | The Guardian
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #2
    Student Whoppletraps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-25-13 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    264

    Re: Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns

    Christ, warmers just won't stop...

    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul

  3. #3
    Educator Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-24-11 @ 12:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    987

    Re: Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns

    Where is the control group, i.e, the parallel planet where there were no humans or no industrialization?

  4. #4
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    18,830

    Re: Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Where is the control group, i.e, the parallel planet where there were no humans or no industrialization?
    The control group you are looking for is the paleo-climate record. However, your argument has nothing to do with this thread's topic. It has been an argument of skeptics that urban heat islands are to blame for increases in the earth's surface temperature record over the last century (instrument record). This study refutes that argument of the skeptics.
    Last edited by SouthernDemocrat; 10-20-11 at 04:32 PM.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  5. #5
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    38,875

    Re: Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns

    i get the skeptics' questioning whether this strong indication of warming is naturally occurring or due to mankind's activities
    given that we have no where else to be, doesn't it make sense to do whatever we are able to NOW to mitigate these warming trends, no matter what may be the cause of such warming?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by 1751Texan View Post
    ... Ted has a big pair of boots and a small pair of balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Have you ever noticed that the people who say "that's the way the cookies crumble" are invariably the same people who eat the cookies?

  6. #6
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    56,669

    Re: Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoppletraps View Post
    Christ, warmers just won't stop...
    At least we're contributing something substantive to the discussion. Every single post you make in this subforum is useless. Why do you even come here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Where is the control group, i.e, the parallel planet where there were no humans or no industrialization?
    Where's yours? You keep saying it's all natural. Where's YOUR control group that shows this?
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Voting isn't a right.
    Quote Originally Posted by The US Constitution
    The right of citizens of the United States to vote...

  7. #7
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,892
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns

    As usual the deniers response is the same.


  8. #8
    Educator Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-24-11 @ 12:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    987

    Re: Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The control group you are looking for is the paleo-climate record. However, your argument has nothing to do with this thread's topic. It has been an argument of skeptics that urban heat islands are to blame for increases in the earth's surface temperature record over the last century (instrument record). This study refutes that argument of the skeptics.
    No, the control group would be a parallel test with no humans and/or industriliazation.

    You can't prove causality without it, merely correlation.

    And it's not scuence.

  9. #9
    Educator Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-24-11 @ 12:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    987

    Re: Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    As usual the deniers response is the same.

    Is a denier like a heretic?

  10. #10
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,892
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Global warming study finds no grounds for climate sceptics' concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Is a denier like a heretic?
    No a denier is like an idiot.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •