Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Verifying proof of no income

  1. #1
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    25,638
    Likes Received
    14393 times
    Likes Given
    9481

    Verifying proof of no income

    Apparently schools have started requiring stay at home parents to verify that they don't work by having a written "I don't work or bring in any form of income" statement notarized.

    Personally, I think it's ridiculously unnecessary and a pain in my butt. . . fortunately my mother's a notary but, come on - notarizing I'm not employed? What bull.

    Why so? Is being unemployed really that big of a problem all of a sudden with the economy being in the tanker?

  2. #2
    Beilski Partisan
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    06-30-13 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    22,130
    Likes Received
    9156 times
    Likes Given
    11518

    Re: Verifying proof of no income

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Apparently schools have started requiring stay at home parents to verify that they don't work by having a written "I don't work or bring in any form of income" statement notarized.

    Personally, I think it's ridiculously unnecessary and a pain in my butt. . . fortunately my mother's a notary but, come on - notarizing I'm not employed? What bull.

    Why so? Is being unemployed really that big of a problem all of a sudden with the economy being in the tanker?
    What purpose do they need this information?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #3
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    25,638
    Likes Received
    14393 times
    Likes Given
    9481

    Re: Verifying proof of no income

    It's standard to request copies of income - like LES statements or W2's for grant purposes but this seems a bit over reaching.

    Since I have to go out of my way to provide this notarized statement I'm interested, as well, in finding out why they want it.

  4. #4
    Beilski Partisan
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    06-30-13 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    22,130
    Likes Received
    9156 times
    Likes Given
    11518

    Re: Verifying proof of no income

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    It's standard to request copies of income - like LES statements or W2's for grant purposes but this seems a bit over reaching.

    Since I have to go out of my way to provide this notarized statement I'm interested, as well, in finding out why they want it.

    So your applying for a grant for a university?

    I'm a bit confused.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #5
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    25,638
    Likes Received
    14393 times
    Likes Given
    9481

    Re: Verifying proof of no income

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post

    So your applying for a grant for a university?

    I'm a bit confused.
    Signing my son up for pre-K, actually - which is covered by state grants for those who qualify. Unlikely we'll qualify for grant coverage. The sign-up packet is generic for all parents and students.

  6. #6
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 09:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894
    Likes Received
    12543 times
    Likes Given
    3140

    Re: Verifying proof of no income

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Signing my son up for pre-K, actually - which is covered by state grants for those who qualify. Unlikely we'll qualify for grant coverage. The sign-up packet is generic for all parents and students.
    If they're giving out state grants based on income, why wouldn't they need proof of income (or lack thereof)?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #7
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,218
    Likes Received
    11843 times
    Likes Given
    25633

    Re: Verifying proof of no income

    first, your mother would be wrong to notarize the statement of a family member
    that is not an arms length relationship

    second, if they want to prosecute those who claim no income and an entitlement to government benefits - but which claim is illigitimate in part or in whole because they do earn income, then this sworn, notarized statement will be used against them by the prosecutor
    without that statement, the prosecutor has little evidence to prove a lie about not receiving income

    i would be surprised if the school did not have notaries on staff who would be able to notarize a sworn affadavit of no income if that statement was executed in their presence
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    ... if the right wing or Libertarians are against it, it's called Socialism.

  8. #8
    Beilski Partisan
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    06-30-13 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    22,130
    Likes Received
    9156 times
    Likes Given
    11518

    Re: Verifying proof of no income

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Signing my son up for pre-K, actually - which is covered by state grants for those who qualify. Unlikely we'll qualify for grant coverage. The sign-up packet is generic for all parents and students.
    Ohh I see.

    For what it's worth I suggest you search out the income requirements for the grant before wasting your time filling out the forms.
    There should be something about the minimum income on the internet.

    On a side note, many studies are showing that Pre-K and Kindergarten are worthless for child development and education.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 03-09-10 at 12:28 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #9
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Deep South
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    29,083
    Likes Received
    13880 times
    Likes Given
    13265

    Re: Verifying proof of no income

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Apparently schools have started requiring stay at home parents to verify that they don't work by having a written "I don't work or bring in any form of income" statement notarized.

    Personally, I think it's ridiculously unnecessary and a pain in my butt. . . fortunately my mother's a notary but, come on - notarizing I'm not employed? What bull.

    Why so? Is being unemployed really that big of a problem all of a sudden with the economy being in the tanker?
    So, in Arkansas, Pre-K is partially paid for by the parents?

    Sorry for the confusion, but in Georgia, we have a lottery with X slots available and either your name is drawn or it isn't. But if it is, its paid for by lottery money.
    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I just gotta protect my cooter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I'm a fifth degree black belt in tongue-fu
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Now, you're confusing me. Too many big words.

  10. #10
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    25,638
    Likes Received
    14393 times
    Likes Given
    9481

    Re: Verifying proof of no income

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Ohh I see.

    For what it's worth I suggest you search out the income requirements for the grant before wasting your time filling out the forms.
    There should be something about the minimum income on the internet.
    Good point - I'll research before committing to something unnecessary.

    On a side note, many studies are showing that Pre-K and Kindergarten are worthless for child development and education.
    I disagree, though not with heavy fervor - my daughter was in Pre-K and is advanced. However, I don't know if she's advanced because of Pre-K, or if she's advanced because she's just advanced. Either way, I'd like to think it's because of Pre-K . . . but it might not be, no big deal one way or another. I don't advocate for anything or die shoving my kids in - no camping outside all night like my sister did to put her son in a daycare last year.

    Him attending this is more so because I, also, have run through my online-courses that were available to me. To continue college I have to be able to attend the University and I'd rather not postpone it a year. If he doesn't attend Pre-K at the school he'd be at a regular daycare. There is a significant difference in the environment and routine between the two - I'd rather have him at the Pre-K in the school than elsewhere, his sister is already attending the school and he's already familiar with his teacher - transportation and environment won't be an issue, so on and so forth.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    first, your mother would be wrong to notarize the statement of a family member
    that is not an arms length relationship
    She's always been my notary and no one's ever quirked a brow - but it's not very often I've had to have her notarize something. I know several other notaries so having someone else notarize my necessary papers isn't a problem.
    Thanks for pointing it out. . . i wouldn't want to cause problems.

    second, if they want to prosecute those who claim no income and an entitlement to government benefits - but which claim is illigitimate in part or in whole because they do earn income, then this sworn, notarized statement will be used against them by the prosecutor
    without that statement, the prosecutor has little evidence to prove a lie about not receiving income

    i would be surprised if the school did not have notaries on staff who would be able to notarize a sworn affadavit of no income if that statement was executed in their presence
    That all makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    So, in Arkansas, Pre-K is partially paid for by the parents?

    Sorry for the confusion, but in Georgia, we have a lottery with X slots available and either your name is drawn or it isn't. But if it is, its paid for by lottery money.
    Yep, If you don't qualify for grant-assistance then you cover all or part of the cost. It varies state to state - my Aunt has to pay a significant portion every year for the kid's schooling (Chicago).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •