Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Huntsman Supported Health Care Mandate

  1. #1
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Huntsman Supported Health Care Mandate

    It's true that -- unlike Obama's and Romney's plans -- the bill Huntsman signed into law in 2008 did not include a mandate requiring health insurance or many rules compelling citizens to participate in the government-facilitated health plan exchange.

    But it would have looked far different if Huntsman had his way, according to interviews with leading players in Utah politics. They said the former governor actually favored a mandate, but ran into fierce opposition from the conservative state legislature.

    Huntsman Was For Health Care Mandate Before He Was Against It
    Yet another Republican presidential candidate supported the mandate. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating since it often gets lost in the health care debate: The individual mandate was a long-standing Republican idea. It was the central plank of many Republican health care reform proposals over the years...right up until the moment a Democratic president wanted to include it in his health care reform.

    NONE of this faux-outrage about the individual mandate has anything to do with ideology, or constitutionality, or even federalism. It has to do with conservatives not liking the fact that Barack Obama signed it into law.

    Here's an incomplete list of Republicans and conservatives who have supported an individual health insurance mandate, until they felt they could score more political points by opposing it. Let's start the list off with the ones who are running for president:

    Jon Huntsman
    Mitt Romney
    Mitch Daniels
    Newt Gingrich
    John McCain
    The Heritage Foundation
    George H.W. Bush
    Bob Dole
    Robert Bennett
    Kit Bond
    Chuck Grassley
    Orrin Hatch
    Dick Lugar
    Alan Simpson
    Dan Coats
    Judd Gregg
    Kay Bailey Hutchison
    Jim DeMint
    Lamar Alexander
    Lindsay Graham
    Tommy Thompson
    Mike Crapo

    Now I don't believe for one second that all of these people suddenly had a change of heart and saw the light at precisely the moment that Obama proposed health care reform. The brouhaha over the individual mandate is absolutely, 100% political pandering and has nothing to do with some deep-seated conservative principle.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-20-11 at 06:58 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #2
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Huntsman Supported Health Care Mandate

    Cool, now lets get away from political proposals for medical insurance reform and go towards correcting the legislative problems that caused our price increases in the first place.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #3
    User PT Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    05-31-11 @ 02:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16

    Re: Huntsman Supported Health Care Mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Cool, now lets get away from political proposals for medical insurance reform and go towards correcting the legislative problems that caused our price increases in the first place.
    Get outta here with that common sense............................there is no place for that here

  4. #4
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Huntsman Supported Health Care Mandate

    Cap and Trade was first implemented in the United States by Ronald Reagan.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #5
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Huntsman Supported Health Care Mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Yet another Republican presidential candidate supported the mandate. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating since it often gets lost in the health care debate: The individual mandate was a long-standing Republican idea. It was the central plank of many Republican health care reform proposals over the years...right up until the moment a Democratic president wanted to include it in his health care reform.

    NONE of this faux-outrage about the individual mandate has anything to do with ideology, or constitutionality, or even federalism. It has to do with conservatives not liking the fact that Barack Obama signed it into law.

    Here's an incomplete list of Republicans and conservatives who have supported an individual health insurance mandate, until they felt they could score more political points by opposing it. Let's start the list off with the ones who are running for president:

    Jon Huntsman
    Mitt Romney
    Mitch Daniels
    Newt Gingrich
    John McCain
    The Heritage Foundation
    George H.W. Bush
    Bob Dole
    Robert Bennett
    Kit Bond
    Chuck Grassley
    Orrin Hatch
    Dick Lugar
    Alan Simpson
    Dan Coats
    Judd Gregg
    Kay Bailey Hutchison
    Jim DeMint
    Lamar Alexander
    Lindsay Graham
    Tommy Thompson
    Mike Crapo

    Now I don't believe for one second that all of these people suddenly had a change of heart and saw the light at precisely the moment that Obama proposed health care reform. The brouhaha over the individual mandate is absolutely, 100% political pandering and has nothing to do with some deep-seated conservative principle.
    And when did they cahnge their Minds? I ubderstand it was after the learned what it was going to cost us as individuals and what it would do to the economy.

    Remember Pelosi said we can find out what's in it adter they shove it down out throats.

    When people found out, that was when we went ballistic, and eveyone found out what was in this BS reform plan.

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Huntsman Supported Health Care Mandate

    The reality is that many conservatives have, in the past, supported a mandate. In doing so, they were grappling with what is a genuine economic externality: "the free rider" problem. IMO, they could make a strong case for why they had supported that position in the past, if they explain the free rider problem and its overall impact. Failing to articulate that reality makes it appear as if their earlier support was merely a matter of political expediency.

    Mandates provide one means for addressing the free rider problem, and such mandates exist elsewhere e.g., with auto insurance in many states. Such mandates, are not perfect, In addition, other possibilities exist e.g., imposing a significant surcharge on those who utilize medical services when they lack coverage so as to shift incentives in favor of coverage. Of course, hat approach also would have its limitations. For example, the surcharge would almost certainly have to be scalable based on the individual's income and/or assets, as it would be politically and financially self-defeating to try to impose financial costs on those who could not afford them.

    Finally, one's shifting one's position when compelling new evidence supporting the move becomes available is not necessarily a bad thing. Again, it is incumbent on those who changed their positions to articulate their reasoning.
    Last edited by donsutherland1; 05-23-11 at 11:23 AM.

  7. #7
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Huntsman Supported Health Care Mandate

    Another one bites the dust


  8. #8
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Huntsman Supported Health Care Mandate

    An individual mandate on a state level is different than a mandate on a federal level. States mandate auto insurance, vaccinations for public school admission, and all sort of other forms of commerce. The federal government does not.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #9
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Huntsman Supported Health Care Mandate

    First, hang all the lobbyists...
    with apologies to William Shakespeare
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #10
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Huntsman Supported Health Care Mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    First, hang all the lobbyists...
    with apologies to William Shakespeare
    lobbyists, lawyers, not much different.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •