Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Senate GOP Marks a First - Blocking an Obama Judicial Nominee

  1. #21
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Senate GOP Marks a First - Blocking an Obama Judicial Nominee

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Translation: I have nothing to counter this with but more blind hyper-partisanship. My party can filibuster nominee's to the end of time, but if the GOP Dare do it to a single one, over half way through a Dem President's term I shall cry and whine and call the GOP names because I'm just not serious about politics or debate. Just parroting DNC talking points like a good boy.


    Carry on DD, I gave you a chance to discuss the issue with some semblance of credibility, but as usual, you have nothing but empty hyper-partisan empty hand wringing and predictable rhetoric.
    No Vich...it is you who is completely missing the point. I am not a fan of filibusters no matter which party is engaging in the tactic. However....the Democrats have made no issue of using the filibuster....the Republicans decried the Dems and coined the term "up or down" vote....they harked on it and harked on it...the same way they harked and harked on family values....and just like the hypocracy that the GOP displays time and time again in the family values arena...they are now displaying here in clear view.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #22
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Senate GOP Marks a First - Blocking an Obama Judicial Nominee

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No Vich...it is you who is completely missing the point. I am not a fan of filibusters no matter which party is engaging in the tactic. However....the Democrats have made no issue of using the filibuster....the Republicans decried the Dems and coined the term "up or down" vote....they harked on it and harked on it...the same way they harked and harked on family values....and just like the hypocracy that the GOP displays time and time again in the family values arena...they are now displaying here in clear view.
    So, after 35 Filibusters, and getting tired of the BS, the GOP now can never filibuster a nominee the right way (ya know, reserving such tactics for extremes) because they dared complain about the over use of the filibuster by the Dem's.

    No, I understand your point, the GOP complained, doesn't matter the circumstance, or situation, about Dem's abusing the system, so if they dare use the same method, regardless of situation or context, you'll bray lie a good party hack the talking points given you in your dailykos email.

    I shall now turn to National Review to mock you and the one from whom you "reached" your conclusion from:

    The Left’s Hypocrisy—and Sloppiness—About Supposed Republican Hypocrisy on Filibusters
    May 20, 2011 10:55 A.M.
    By Ed Whelan
    In what will no doubt be a long series of screeds from the Left, Slate’s Dahlia Lithwick complains of Republican senators’ “extraordinary hypocrisy” in filibustering the controversial nomination of Goodwin Liu. Lithwick’s argument is replete with sloppy thinking and misinformation:

    1. For starters, the two positions that are most difficult, indeed impossible, to reconcile in a principled manner are the positions that Lithwick and others on the Left have adopted: namely, (1) that it was perfectly fine for Senate Democrats to filibuster President George W. Bush’s judicial nominees, but (2) that it is objectionable for Senate Republicans to filibuster President Obama’s nomination of Liu.
    2. The charge of hypocrisy against Senate Republicans is lazy and meritless, for the simple reason that Democratic resort to the filibuster against Bush nominees dramatically altered the terrain.
    The Left

    Quit reading slate.com, it makes you too easy to counter.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #23
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Senate GOP Marks a First - Blocking an Obama Judicial Nominee

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    So, after 35 Filibusters, and getting tired of the BS, the GOP now can never filibuster a nominee the right way (ya know, reserving such tactics for extremes) because they dared complain about the over use of the filibuster by the Dem's.

    No, I understand your point, the GOP complained, doesn't matter the circumstance, or situation, about Dem's abusing the system, so if they dare use the same method, regardless of situation or context, you'll bray lie a good party hack the talking points given you in your dailykos email.

    I shall now turn to National Review to mock you and the one from whom you "reached" your conclusion from:




    The Left

    Quit reading slate.com, it makes you too easy to counter.
    Never heard of slate.com....but I checked it out. Not really my style...but thanks for the heads up anyway. As far as the rest of your post....if this were simply an anomaly in the GOP actions, I could understand how one might not view it as hypocritical. However....the GOP is notorious at the "Do as I say...not as I do politics".....

    Some things never change.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Senate GOP Marks a First - Blocking an Obama Judicial Nominee

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Democrats held a fillibuster-proof majority of the Senate. If they really didn't like fillibustering Republican nominees, they would have gotten rid of the rule then.
    they knew they'd need it someday, so they chose to keep it and take their chances.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Senate GOP Marks a First - Blocking an Obama Judicial Nominee

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Never heard of slate.com....but I checked it out. Not really my style...but thanks for the heads up anyway. As far as the rest of your post....if this were simply an anomaly in the GOP actions, I could understand how one might not view it as hypocritical. However....the GOP is notorious at the "Do as I say...not as I do politics".....

    Some things never change.
    2.5 years, how many Nominee's have been Filibustered by the GOP? 1.

    Enough said.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #26
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Senate GOP Marks a First - Blocking an Obama Judicial Nominee

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    and........

    The point is.....Republicans cried loud and hard for "an up and down vote".....but when the tables are turned...they prove they are nothing but a bunch of empty rhetoric hypocrites.
    paybacks are a bitch.

    the dems started it

    they played politics with Bork who clearly had the integrity and the intellect to be on the USSC

    they then played race with Estrada



  7. #27
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Senate GOP Marks a First - Blocking an Obama Judicial Nominee

    Its funny to watch y'all dance around the hypocrisy. Like I said....I don't agree in filibusters regardless of which party is using them.....but to call for an "up or down" vote and play politics around it....and then turn around and play the same game....true....is "payback"....but its also grade-A hypocrisy.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #28
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Senate GOP Marks a First - Blocking an Obama Judicial Nominee

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Its funny to watch y'all dance around the hypocrisy. Like I said....I don't agree in filibusters regardless of which party is using them.....but to call for an "up or down" vote and play politics around it....and then turn around and play the same game....true....is "payback"....but its also grade-A hypocrisy.
    so the dems aren't being hypocrites by whining about the GOP giving the dems some payback?

    it cuts both ways but it was the dems who engaged in this crap FIRST and on RACIST Grounds



  9. #29
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Senate GOP Marks a First - Blocking an Obama Judicial Nominee

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Its funny to watch y'all dance around the hypocrisy. Like I said....I don't agree in filibusters regardless of which party is using them.....but to call for an "up or down" vote and play politics around it....and then turn around and play the same game....true....is "payback"....but its also grade-A hypocrisy.
    No, actually it's not.

    Hypocrisy would be if they used the Filibuster ya know.. before, and often.


    See what you are doing is just the DNC talking point, that the GOP isn't ALLOWED to use a parliamentary move that sunk and unqualified, political hacks hopes of being a judge. Because they dared to complain about the COPIOUS ABUSE of the system by the dems.

    The only thing funny here is watching you try and stand fo ran indefensible standard. The DNC can Filibuster at will, the GOP has to play nice. No.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  10. #30
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Senate GOP Marks a First - Blocking an Obama Judicial Nominee

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    No, actually it's not.

    Hypocrisy would be if they used the Filibuster ya know.. before, and often.


    See what you are doing is just the DNC talking point, that the GOP isn't ALLOWED to use a parliamentary move that sunk and unqualified, political hacks hopes of being a judge. Because they dared to complain about the COPIOUS ABUSE of the system by the dems.

    The only thing funny here is watching you try and stand fo ran indefensible standard. The DNC can Filibuster at will, the GOP has to play nice. No.

    Estrada-ranked well qualified (without any dissent) by the ABA. recommended by all four former Living Dem Solicitor Generals including the CLINTON SG WHOM ESTRADA WORKED FOR

    had more court room experience than Kagan and was only nominated for the Appeals court

    Keisler-a top supreme court litigator and managing partner at Sidley Austin he founded the federalist society, had worked as a white house counsel for Bush I, then was an extremely well respected professional at the Bush II DOJ where he was head of the civil division and then acting AG. blocked by dems mainly because he was seen as a sure bet supreme court pick by the next GOP administration

    the fact that he was the son of liberal Jewish parents hurt him too-there was a perception that a Yale Magna who is a long Island Jew is supposed to be a liberal not one of the most brilliant conservative legal minds in the USA



Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •