Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 110

Thread: Senate Attempt To Eliminate Big Oil Subsidies Defeated

  1. #1
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Senate Attempt To Eliminate Big Oil Subsidies Defeated

    In the real world, 52 beats 48; but in bizarro-senate-world, only 60 is a majority. 52 Dems voted to end subsidies, 48 Repubs voted to keep them in place. So, Republicans managed to keep tax payer subsidies in place for their big oil overlords.

    eNewsUSA

    6:50 PM: The Senate vote on S.940 to eliminate big oil tax subsidies was defeated on a vote of 52-48. 60 votes were necessary to move the item forward.


  2. #2
    Advisor BentWingedAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-23-11 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    441

    Re: Senate Attempt To Eliminate Big Oil Subsidies Defeated

    I just heard too sad! Also I got the impression thast some of the pubs did not like voting for the big oily guys. Is there a hostage situation here? Hmmmn could be we must not let Obama look like a winner of anything. Destroy Obama at any cost.
    Last edited by BentWingedAngel; 05-17-11 at 08:32 PM. Reason: 2nd thought

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,923

    Re: Senate Attempt To Eliminate Big Oil Subsidies Defeated

    Quote Originally Posted by BentWingedAngel View Post
    I just heard too sad! Also I got the impression thast some of the pubs did not like voting for the big oily guys. Is there a hostage situation here? Hmmmn could be we must not let Obama look like a winner of anything. Destroy Obama at any cost.
    The "Party of NO!" rocks on.

    What a lovely ad campaign this and Paul Ryan's plan to end medicare will make. Oh and I should mention Newt's big moment on MTP.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Senate Attempt To Eliminate Big Oil Subsidies Defeated

    So we can all agree.......stop giving money to Big Oil, Big Wind, Big Sun.......and stop seizing 40% of their profits.
    .
    .
    .
    .

  5. #5
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,688
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Senate Attempt To Eliminate Big Oil Subsidies Defeated

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    So we can all agree.......stop giving money to Big Oil, Big Wind, Big Sun.......and stop seizing 40% of their profits.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Don't you get it? Not seizing their property is a subsidy.

    Does anyone think that increasing taxes on any company is going to bring down the price of anything?
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  6. #6
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Senate Attempt To Eliminate Big Oil Subsidies Defeated

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    So we can all agree.......stop giving money to Big Oil, Big Wind, Big Sun.......and stop seizing 40% of their profits.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    the socialist left, the anti corporate luddites and the populist appealing scum like to demonize big oil

    tell me (if anyone fits in the above categories)

    If Exxon makes a billion in profits all over the world and all over the world Exxon is taxed by various entities proportionate to its profits in those entities' jurisdictions, why should the USA be entitled to a tax covering its entire amount of profit?

    Yet the dems whine that giving Exxon a tax credit for say 10 million in taxes paid in GB is a "subsidy"

    do these clowns understand how much exxon pays in taxes and how many people they employ?



  7. #7
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Senate Attempt To Eliminate Big Oil Subsidies Defeated

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the socialist left, the anti corporate luddites and the populist appealing scum like to demonize big oil

    tell me (if anyone fits in the above categories)

    If Exxon makes a billion in profits all over the world and all over the world Exxon is taxed by various entities proportionate to its profits in those entities' jurisdictions, why should the USA be entitled to a tax covering its entire amount of profit?

    Yet the dems whine that giving Exxon a tax credit for say 10 million in taxes paid in GB is a "subsidy"

    do these clowns understand how much exxon pays in taxes and how many people they employ?
    Oh no. Poor Exxon. All of those taxes. All of those taxes not paid to the IRS that is.

    ThinkProgress » ExxonMobil paid no federal income tax in 2009. (Updated)

    Last week, Forbes magazine published what the top U.S. corporations paid in taxes last year. “Most egregious,” Forbes notes, is General Electric, which “generated $10.3 billion in pretax income, but ended up owing nothing to Uncle Sam. In fact, it recorded a tax benefit of $1.1 billion.” Big Oil giant Exxon Mobil, which last year reported a record $45.2 billion profit, paid the most taxes of any corporation, but none of it went to the IRS:

    Exxon tries to limit the tax pain with the help of 20 wholly owned subsidiaries domiciled in the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands that (legally) shelter the cash flow from operations in the likes of Angola, Azerbaijan and Abu Dhabi. No wonder that of $15 billion in income taxes last year, Exxon paid none of it to Uncle Sam, and has tens of billions in earnings permanently reinvested overseas.


  8. #8
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Senate Attempt To Eliminate Big Oil Subsidies Defeated

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    So we can all agree.......stop giving money to Big Oil, Big Wind, Big Sun.......and stop seizing 40% of their profits.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Big sun, big wind? There is no such thing. Subsidies should be for newer, lesser industries for R&D and what not. Big oil does not need subsidies. Big oil makes big profits and hands out big bonuses. They don't need my money. Alternative energy companies, struggling to get a foot in the market, do need my money. And I'm happy to give it to them.


  9. #9
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Senate Attempt To Eliminate Big Oil Subsidies Defeated

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    Oh no. Poor Exxon. All of those taxes. All of those taxes not paid to the IRS that is.
    envy is not a sound basis for tax policy



  10. #10
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Senate Attempt To Eliminate Big Oil Subsidies Defeated

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    Big sun, big wind? There is no such thing. Subsidies should be for newer, lesser industries for R&D and what not. Big oil does not need subsidies. Big oil makes big profits and hands out big bonuses. They don't need my money. Alternative energy companies, struggling to get a foot in the market, do need my money. And I'm happy to give it to them.
    edify us about your financial might



Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •