Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Krauthammer on Gingrich's Presidential Aspirations: "Now it's Over"

  1. #21
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Krauthammer on Gingrich's Presidential Aspirations: "Now it's Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    well, according to ye olde Wiki Page: all political campaigns are social engineering:



    So, what Newt is basically doing is finding some negative verbage, and throwing it out there. Hooray, he got headlines, I guess that's what he wanted. He did adopt the "let's just cut waste fraud and abuse" line, which is even to the left of the Obama Administration's approach to Medicare (as i recall it's Nancy Pelosi's); and so Gingrich will (rightly) get hammered on that, as well as getting hammered on undercutting all but four Republicans in the House of Representatives and giving Democrats in every district their lead campaign ad in order to get his name back in the headlines.
    I agree, pretty much all policy, even policy advocating government be shrunk can be boiled down to social engineering. In the mentioned case, forcing people to be more self reliant as many here would describe it.

  2. #22
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Krauthammer on Gingrich's Presidential Aspirations: "Now it's Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    But Gingrich called it right when he said that the Ryan plan was an attempt at "social engineering". For that, he will most likely be called a radical hippie commie Liberal now.

    Article is here.
    stating the obvious seems to always upset the gullible
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #23
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Krauthammer on Gingrich's Presidential Aspirations: "Now it's Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Oddly, while I would have phrased it differently, I agree with MrV on this. Romney feels the most likely choice, despite the fact he does not really represent mainstream republicans that well these days. He feels like a give up candidate, given the nod simply because unseating a sitting president is unlikely and it's his turn and it gets him out of the picture for the serious election in 2016.
    That's assuming that Republican primary votes feel like unseating Obama is unlikely. Regardless of whether it is, I'm almost positive they don't. Anyways, Intrade now gives Obama something like a 60% chance of winning re-election, meaning a pretty substantial 40% chance that he won't.

    I really doubt Romney will get anywhere. He won't survive the smearing that's to come, when all of his flip-flopping and liberal-policy-supporting will be exposed.

  4. #24
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Krauthammer on Gingrich's Presidential Aspirations: "Now it's Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    What difference does it make, you'll still vote for your two-faced ass-hat anyway.
    appears that a better - republican - option will not be available


    bloomberg could win, but won't likely run
    gary johnson could be competitive, but the repubs won't allow him to be nominated
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #25
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Krauthammer on Gingrich's Presidential Aspirations: "Now it's Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I agree, pretty much all policy, even policy advocating government be shrunk can be boiled down to social engineering. In the mentioned case, forcing people to be more self reliant as many here would describe it.
    Not really. Social engineering is actively influencing society, using the government. Shrinking the government isn't so much laying out a plan for society as it is assuming that society can take care of itself. It's kind of a stretch to call that social engineering.

  6. #26
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Krauthammer on Gingrich's Presidential Aspirations: "Now it's Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    That's assuming that Republican primary votes feel like unseating Obama is unlikely. Regardless of whether it is, I'm almost positive they don't. Anyways, Intrade now gives Obama something like a 60% chance of winning re-election, meaning a pretty substantial 40% chance that he won't.

    I really doubt Romney will get anywhere. He won't survive the smearing that's to come, when all of his flip-flopping and liberal-policy-supporting will be exposed.
    To me the thing here is that smearing is not going to be aimed solely at him, and there really is no one else with an honest chance to beat Obama who is going to be much more suitable to republicans.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #27
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Krauthammer on Gingrich's Presidential Aspirations: "Now it's Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Not really. Social engineering is actively influencing society, using the government. Shrinking the government isn't so much laying out a plan for society as it is assuming that society can take care of itself. It's kind of a stretch to call that social engineering.
    So if people where used to 40 Pokemon, and the government says they need to get by with only 20, that is not the government influencing society?

    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Krauthammer on Gingrich's Presidential Aspirations: "Now it's Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So if people where used to 40 Pokemon, and the government says they need to get by with only 20, that is not the government influencing society?

    No, the governement handing out Pokemon to begin with would be. It's "Gotta Catch Em All" not "Gotta Wait at the Welfare Line for Em All".

  9. #29
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Krauthammer on Gingrich's Presidential Aspirations: "Now it's Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    To me the thing here is that smearing is not going to be aimed solely at him, and there really is no one else with an honest chance to beat Obama who is going to be much more suitable to republicans.
    You don't think Daniels can beat Obama?

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Krauthammer on Gingrich's Presidential Aspirations: "Now it's Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    But Gingrich called it right when he said that the Ryan plan was an attempt at "social engineering". For that, he will most likely be called a radical hippie commie Liberal now.

    Article is here.
    I will take the Ryan plan over Obamacare any day. I agree with Krauthammer that Gingrich never had much of a chance and now say good Bye Newt

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •