Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 252

Thread: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

  1. #61
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Really. Well that's your opinion and you are welcome to it. I disagree. If you believe you have a RIGHT to some item, service or the like, then you are in fact compelling another person to provide it for you. What would happen Boo. if all the doctors in a city were to go on strike? Those that believe there is this mythical "right" to healthcare would then do what?

    Hmm?
    No, that does not follow. It merely means it will be paid for. No one is required to provide the service. You're really making a huge illogical leap, as is Rand.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #62
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Semantics? I wish this was an issue of semantics. The word right carries significant meaning in this country, by attempting to label this as a right is a political maneuver to advance a cause.
    So far the only person in this thread who has brought it up as a "right" is you. I haven't seen anyone labeling it as a right. As far as I'm concerned, you can call it whatever you like, as long as we get UHC. Put it in the same category as universal education, universal police protection, or a national military. I'm not really that interested in whether you want to call those things "rights" or "privileges" or whatever else...the important things are the policies themselves.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #63
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, that does not follow. It merely means it will be paid for. No one is required to provide the service. You're really making a huge illogical leap, as is Rand.
    Where does this money come from Boo? The Money Tree?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #64
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    So far the only person in this thread who has brought it up as a "right" is you. I haven't seen anyone labeling it as a right. As far as I'm concerned, you can call it whatever you like, as long as we get UHC. Put it in the same category as universal education, universal police protection, or a national military. I'm not really that interested in whether you want to call those things "rights" or "privileges" or whatever else...the important things are the policies themselves.
    Rand Paul framed the debate this way. He is talking specifically about people that believe in a right to healthcare.

  5. #65
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, slavery is slavery when it's slavery. Calling things that are not slavery, you know where you actually get paid for your work, is not slavery. This is some stupid **** here.

    There ya go...you got that right. Some people that pay taxs think they are the only ones that pay taxs and they think they are slaves because they do...Ive said for a long time...that we should not tax for police and fire...we should charge per call...like whats your ass worth when its in a sling...100 grand ? 200, a million...its worth whatever we say its worth because after all this is capitolist society and we can charge whatever the freight will bear..

  6. #66
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Where does this money come from Boo? The Money Tree?
    No, all kinds of places. Insurance, private pockets, charity, and tax dollars. But there is no forced labor. People get paid. And no one is forced to work for money, let alone free.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Rand Paul framed the debate this way. He is talking specifically about people that believe in a right to healthcare.
    We've said he was wrong, on nearly all counts.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #68
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    ObamaCare would be horrible even if it wasn't mandated.
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  9. #69
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    ObamaCare would be horrible even if it wasn't mandated.
    Not having any reform has been pretty rough as well. You can't move forward by standing still.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    This would actually be funny if it wasn't so pathetically ignorant. I mean it's not like doctors are invariably among the wealthiest people in every nation, whether there's UHC or not. Like slavery? Seriously? That's gotta be the most profitable form of slavery ever. For the slave, that is. I think I've just stepped into bizarro world.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •