Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 252

Thread: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

  1. #101
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    When you get into the high dollar things like heart transplants you can get kicked out of the program for not following dietary guidelines. And your blood is checked every four to six weeks at a min.
    And while that may be true for a narrow portion of the population, it is not true for most.
    Exceptions do not disprove the general rule.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think it's naive to rely on a for profit healthcare system who's focus isn't providing healthcare but to maximize profits. People have the right to be obese, but I support incentives like tax breaks for those who stay healthy and try to lose weight.

    It's wrong and inhumane for a family to go broke because a family member developed cancer and they have to spend everything and then some to ensure that persons survival. I think it's wrong that people who are born with chronic diseases could be denied coverage or forced to pay much more than others. I think a for profit health insurer system is wrong and infective. I would also tweak healthcare practice in America, but for profit insurance companies only drive up the cost and put the patients 2nd to profits.
    I pay twice the State average. Oh and I'm sick as well.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think it's naive to rely on a for profit healthcare system who's focus isn't providing healthcare but to maximize profits. People have the right to be obese, but I support incentives like tax breaks for those who stay healthy and try to lose weight.
    I know you're going into the medical field.
    Are you only going to work for what it costs you to live?
    Otherwise you will be earning a profit from medical treatments, so be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

    Why it is ok for you to profit from the unhealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It's wrong and inhumane for a family to go broke because a family member developed cancer and they have to spend everything and then some to ensure that persons survival. I think it's wrong that people who are born with chronic diseases could be denied coverage or forced to pay much more than others. I think a for profit health insurer system is wrong and infective. I would also tweak healthcare practice in America, but for profit insurance companies only drive up the cost and put the patients 2nd to profits.
    Most families do not go broke because of that, that is hyperbole much like "UHC = slavery" comments.

    The fact is that people who filed for bankruptcy because of medical issues, were already in consumer debt prior to incurring the illness.
    Not to mention, that no matter the method of paying for treatment, for those that are seriously ill, they typically will not being working, making incurring debt or being unable to pay debt, relatively the same.

    Get to caught up in the emotional hyperbole and your argument will melt you.

    I have no problem with UHC for those with inborn illnesses and I'd be happy to pay a tax to fund that.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #104
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    When it comes to who is a slave and who isn't...you have to look at who is forced and who has the money. If the case of a single payer system who is being forced? Everyone. Everyone that must go to the government for health care is a slave. Who has the money? The government.

    If you go to the government for your health care needs (with the exception of those that worked for the government and got the insurance as a benefit) you are a slave to the government. They control the means by which you may improve the quality of your health and your life.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  5. #105
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    When it comes to who is a slave and who isn't...you have to look at who is forced and who has the money. If the case of a single payer system who is being forced? Everyone. Everyone that must go to the government for health care is a slave. Who has the money? The government.

    If you go to the government for your health care needs (with the exception of those that worked for the government and got the insurance as a benefit) you are a slave to the government. They control the means by which you may improve the quality of your health and your life.
    It's more like the feudal system, that most consider bad, but now it's good.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #106
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It's more like the feudal system, that most consider bad, but now it's good.
    Well, under the liberal mantra of inclusiveness, good is now bad and bad is now good...so that makes sense.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    If you go to the government for your health care needs (with the exception of those that worked for the government and got the insurance as a benefit) you are a slave to the government. They control the means by which you may improve the quality of your health and your life.

    Err so? The same goes for an insurance co.

  8. #108
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    No. Because you have the CHOICE to have an attorney represent you, or you can choose to have a court appointed one.
    It's your choice to go to the doctor or not to go to the doctor.

    And a "court appointed attorney" is just that. An attorney who is "drafted" in a sense, by the court to represent you. When they say you have a "right" to have an attorney, it means that they will give you an attorney.

    So how is a "court appointed attorney," who is sometimes pressed into service by the government, different from a doctor who has to help you?

    As it stands now, if you go to an Emergency Room they have to treat you. If you can't pay, the government does. In effect, that is a right to health care. So this terrible future that Rand Paul is predicting was here long before Obama became President. You may not like Obama's solution, but essentially he is trying to fix the cost to the government caused by uninsured people crowding into ERs. What is Rand Paul doing about that?

  9. #109
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Tell that to the hundreds of Black people who escaped from the south via the Underground Railroad.

    But I digress...
    Slavery is not necessarily racial. The term "slave" and the term "slav" come from the same root. In fact, many slavs were slaves, and there is a line of thinking that says that the biggest reason Western European powers went to Africa for slaves was that the Turkish conquest of Constantinople cut them off from the Black Sea slave trade of "slavs."

    Racism was largely constructed in America to separate the white servants from the black servants.

  10. #110
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul: Right To Health Care Is Like Believing In "Slavery"

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Err so? The same goes for an insurance co.
    Do you really want to explore that fallacious statement?

    Insurance companies, regardless of what you believe, are not a requirement for getting health care. You can chose not to use them. In fact, 90% of the country (in my best guess) is well over insured because they fall for that same trap. You don't have to have coverage for every day health care. Everyday health care coverage is always...ALWAYS...ALWAYS more expensive than paying out of pocket.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •