Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: This is just nuts

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: This is just nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    You know, over and above the lack of exercise, studies suggest that video games and computer applications encourage a desire for instant gratification and can kill a child's ability to pay attention for long periods of time. Additionally, studies have shown that all people suffer a decrease in retention/comprehension and a slower rate of reading when they're accessing information via an electronic medium vs. paper.

    I think technology is awesome. I love being able to type up a paper instead of hand-writing it. But I'm not going to have my kids playing video games at age 3, or owning a 3DS at age 5, or learning how to do their ABCs or count to ten through a cell phone or computer app. As supplmental resources, technology is great, but right now, we still learn better through hands-on application (i.e. using fingers to count to ten, etc).
    I have to disagree a little on the use of technology in regards to learning.

    My 10 yr old has Aspergers. One of his favorite things to do is play video games... it's the action/excitement/etc. I have made use of educational computer programs/games since he was 6. He learned much faster, and retained the information to a higher degree when using these tools, as opposed to say, flashcards and repetitive learning techniques. He is currently finishing 5th grade, and is close to the top of his class academically.

    Without these tools, based on personal experience with him early on, I doubt he'd be at this level without the computer games/programs we've used.

  2. #12
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: This is just nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    I have to disagree a little on the use of technology in regards to learning.

    My 10 yr old has Aspergers. One of his favorite things to do is play video games... it's the action/excitement/etc. I have made use of educational computer programs/games since he was 6. He learned much faster, and retained the information to a higher degree when using these tools, as opposed to say, flashcards and repetitive learning techniques. He is currently finishing 5th grade, and is close to the top of his class academically.

    Without these tools, based on personal experience with him early on, I doubt he'd be at this level without the computer games/programs we've used.
    Absolutely - it's content more than usage.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #13
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: This is just nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    I have to disagree a little on the use of technology in regards to learning.

    My 10 yr old has Aspergers. One of his favorite things to do is play video games... it's the action/excitement/etc. I have made use of educational computer programs/games since he was 6. He learned much faster, and retained the information to a higher degree when using these tools, as opposed to say, flashcards and repetitive learning techniques. He is currently finishing 5th grade, and is close to the top of his class academically.

    Without these tools, based on personal experience with him early on, I doubt he'd be at this level without the computer games/programs we've used.
    It would make sense that a different methodology might be necessary for your son than would be used for a child without Aspergers. Perhaps I miused "all" in my original post. I really meant to say that "kids and adults alike", as opposed to refering solely to children, which were the subject of my original statement.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #14
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: This is just nuts

    Overall - subjects like this OP here show that government does not - cannot - will not have control over it's subjects to the extent that it wants.

    It identifies issues - but some things are just out of it's control lest it violates personal freedoms and othe rights that they have guaranteed us.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #15
    User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 12:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    68

    Re: This is just nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    In my very humble opinion being an old fart I remember when there were no computers or cell phones...or copiers as kids we used to GO OUT AND PLAY every single minute of every day...we were always moving. Playing catch, playing sandlot sports, ringalario, wrestling each other...whiffle ball...handball. Kids today dont even know what it is...they come home from school raid the fridge and park their ass in front of the puter, tv, or text or talk on the cell phone...Schools and parents have a monumental job...but the only way to success is to make these kids MOVE thier ass
    As with most childhood development you'd first have to get the parents to offer role models by moving their grossly overweight bodies off the couch positioned in front of a TV/game screen. Take a stroll through any Walmart to see parents setting examples of 'obesity is good'. Taxing food won't produce any positive parental motivation.

  6. #16
    Advisor Blue Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    01-21-15 @ 06:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    426

    Re: This is just nuts

    Can you imagine the amount of revenue the government will take in if parents don't send their kids off to bootcamp. McDonalds will have to file for chapter 11.
    My family is more important than my party.
    -Zell Miller

  7. #17
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-11-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    275

    Re: This is just nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Leave it to the Liberals.
    You must not have read the article posted. Otherwise you would not have made such a stupid comment.

    After reading the article State Senator Cultra's plan is to deny any tax paying parent the standard deduction of $2,000 if they have an obese child. That is different than implementing new taxes on top of already existing taxes. Never mind that he has not even introduced legislation yet, and most likely will not.

    Even with that in mind it does not make this a good idea. Not only would it be too complicated to maintain an up-to-date record of every child in the state, but then there are issues with how to actually define obese. For example, people widely reference BMI even though there are some major issues with that. Any subsequent equation developed will probably experience similar problems. All in all, a bad idea that probably will not be raised again.

  8. #18
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: This is just nuts

    Man, if we didn't have obese people around half of our fast food restaurants would go out of business.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #19
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: This is just nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff View Post
    You must not have read the article posted. Otherwise you would not have made such a stupid comment.

    After reading the article State Senator Cultra's plan is to deny any tax paying parent the standard deduction of $2,000 if they have an obese child. That is different than implementing new taxes on top of already existing taxes. Never mind that he has not even introduced legislation yet, and most likely will not.

    Even with that in mind it does not make this a good idea. Not only would it be too complicated to maintain an up-to-date record of every child in the state, but then there are issues with how to actually define obese. For example, people widely reference BMI even though there are some major issues with that. Any subsequent equation developed will probably experience similar problems. All in all, a bad idea that probably will not be raised again.
    Blaming liberals is just apdst's posting style, don't mind him.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #20
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-11-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    275

    Re: This is just nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Blaming liberals is just apdst's posting style, don't mind him.
    I know. I just chuckle that he is trying to blame liberals for an idea that a Republican from downstate Illinois, that raging hotbed of liberalism, introduced.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •