Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 74

Thread: Is Congress quietly set for a jobs compromise?

  1. #31
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is Congress quietly set for a jobs compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    I am just curious?? Do you have any clue how much tax revenue a train system can generate?? From riders to workers?? Do you realize that with your view, Hoover damn would have never been build.. The initial cost would have been to great.. That is why they call it investment spending.. There is no better way for our government to spend money than infrastructure spending.. Investing in our nations future.. If we sit and do nothing like republicans want.. Pretty soon the whitehouse will be in either China or Saudi Arabia.. We need to act now and invest in our nations future.. That is the only way we stay on top..
    Hoover Damn does not have thousands of miles of track, leading to 2 cities were ridership was either non existant or already low, that will most likely continue to be low because the need for the service doesn't exist.

    There are certain places where high speed rail makes sense.
    Most of that is located in the northeast corridor.
    Outside of there it isn't practical.

    Plus many of the proposed HSR projects, are just slightly faster train programs, not HSR.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #32
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is Congress quietly set for a jobs compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    Since your not posting any articles.. I will post a few others..

    http://www.tech-faq.com/who-invented-the-internet.html

    Answers.com - Who invented the Internet

    Oddly?? Your guy Tesla isn't named anywhere?? Granted these articles do give slightly different accounts.. But both show government involvement..
    Tesla conceptualized it.
    Meaning he came up with it as an idea.

    Not only that but the telegram system was considerably the first "internet."

    The internet is just a method of long distance communication between different nodes.
    Precisely like the telegram, invented in the U.S. by Samuel Morse.

    All the DARPA guys did was adapt modern technology to that concept.

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    As for highspeed trains?? I am not sure what to say?? You say they are a joke but don't qualify you reasoning?? Highspeed rail would be awsome in a lot of areas.. Seattle to Portland.. L.A. to San Francisco.. Houston to Dallas... I could go on.. But there is literally a ton of reasons to build these.. Business travelers would use them.. People might live in one city and commute to the other.. It would be good for the job market.. Not to mention create jobs!! Do you know anything about Japan?? Before the quake?? Trains are awsome and they aren't in decline else where.. Start posting links with your grand remarks..

    High-speed rail is all the rage: here, there and everywhere*|*Newsdesk.org

    Enjoy the read..
    Being all the "rage" and being financially smart are two different things.
    Even international organizations warn this.

    There are limited circumstances where HSR would work, like the north east corridor.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #33
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Is Congress quietly set for a jobs compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    The economic viability of high speed rail is dependent upon metros in close geographic proximity of each other. Other wise, the upkeep kills you as they more line you have, the greater the upkeep in materials and manpower. The place where it would therefore be most feasible is on the east coast in the NY/Boston/DC metro corridor with the possible addition of Philly and Pittsburg. The problem is the government has been propping up the railway industry forever. They need to have a model whereby they actually make money or they shouldnt even consider building. St Louis to Chicago? No, bad idea. Not enough customers to make it work. West Coast? Possibly disastrous in terms of the effects earthquakes can have on the costs and safety. West Coast Washington? Yeah, possible.

    Just a reference to the metro thing...thats why it works well in Japan, its a small geographic area that allows enormous numbers of people to move in and out of the metros each day without increasing an already bad traffic congestion.
    Yes, government has been propping up the rail industry for years. The other reason that rail works on the East Coast and not elsewhere is because the only region in the country to have raillines dedicated to passenger-traffic only is the East Coast. I took Amtrak from Indianapolis to Chicago once because it looked cheap and I thought I could get more work done than I could on a plane and definitely easier than driving. The ride was supposed to take three hours. It took nearly seven. Now, most will say, "See, Amtrak is inefficient". But it's not really their fault. Amtrak is forced to yield to all commercial traffic on the rail. Thus, like (I assume) a lot of people, my one experience was never repeated.

    Now, that aside, I found it much more pleasant than either flying or driving and would love to take rail more often - if it were efficient.

    My biggest problem with the "keeps propping up rail" argument is that completely ignores that government props up the automobile industry all the time. And I'm not talking about the GM & Chrysler bailouts. Road maintenance and construction is nothing but government support of private activity. We just don't think about it that way, because we're in the bubble of our cars - one of the most inefficient ways to travel.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is Congress quietly set for a jobs compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Yes, government has been propping up the rail industry for years. The other reason that rail works on the East Coast and not elsewhere is because the only region in the country to have raillines dedicated to passenger-traffic only is the East Coast. I took Amtrak from Indianapolis to Chicago once because it looked cheap and I thought I could get more work done than I could on a plane and definitely easier than driving. The ride was supposed to take three hours. It took nearly seven. Now, most will say, "See, Amtrak is inefficient". But it's not really their fault. Amtrak is forced to yield to all commercial traffic on the rail. Thus, like (I assume) a lot of people, my one experience was never repeated.

    Now, that aside, I found it much more pleasant than either flying or driving and would love to take rail more often - if it were efficient.

    My biggest problem with the "keeps propping up rail" argument is that completely ignores that government props up the automobile industry all the time. And I'm not talking about the GM & Chrysler bailouts. Road maintenance and construction is nothing but government support of private activity. We just don't think about it that way, because we're in the bubble of our cars - one of the most inefficient ways to travel.
    While that is true, the infrastructure for the car network already exists and the method of paying for it is sound, as long as the funds are not diverted to other things.

    It could be made more efficient, with the use of automated driving, which already exists but remains illegal.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #35
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Congress quietly set for a jobs compromise?

    Harry, when you get around to it, I would like to hear your response to these questions:

    Why are you opposed to our making our residential, commercial, and industrial uses of energy more efficient? Don't you see how that is a disadvantage to a country trying to grow its economy? Don't you see how the high energy costs together with our inefficient use of it are hurting our economy now? Now imagine what it will be like in the near future when energy costs are twice what they are now. What effect do you think that will have on our economy?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #36
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Is Congress quietly set for a jobs compromise?

    If HSR was a practical, useful option, private industry would have all ready made it happen. It hasn't BECAUSE it's a waste of money, time and resources.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #37
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Is Congress quietly set for a jobs compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Better to let automated cars work for us, they exist already and just require that states remove legislation currently making them illegal.
    How does automated cars help reduce fossil fuel consumption and improve mass transit?
    Cali sounds like its mismanaged
    Sounds like Europe needs to raise the rates on the rail system to maintain upkeep
    Sounds like Europe is moving to cars for in-State use, but still relies on mass transit of interstate commutes.

  8. #38
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,175

    Re: Is Congress quietly set for a jobs compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    If HSR was a practical, useful option, private industry would have all ready made it happen. It hasn't BECAUSE it's a waste of money, time and resources.
    High Speed Rail could work. What does work great is intra-city commuter trains. The El in Chicago, the NY Subway, and the Hiawatha Line in Minneapolis are very popular. In fact, the line in Minneapolis had Conservatives here saying "nobody will ever ride it." Guess what, they did! Packed like sardines at rush hour and Twins and Vikings games.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is Congress quietly set for a jobs compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Harry, when you get around to it, I would like to hear your response to these questions:

    Why are you opposed to our making our residential, commercial, and industrial uses of energy more efficient? Don't you see how that is a disadvantage to a country trying to grow its economy? Don't you see how the high energy costs together with our inefficient use of it are hurting our economy now? Now imagine what it will be like in the near future when energy costs are twice what they are now. What effect do you think that will have on our economy?
    The problem is that you are taking an idea, that has potential but you're thinking that it can be used across the whole U.S.
    It can't.

    The best places for HSR are between high density cities that are close to each other.
    The current proposed rail line upgrades and HSR projects are craptacularly dumb.

    The best place for HSR is in places that already heavily use rail networks.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #40
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Is Congress quietly set for a jobs compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The best place for HSR is in places that already heavily use rail networks.
    Actually, it would work great to connect Indianapolis, Ohio, Detroit, and Chicago since a lot of people already commute between these states/cities. It would have to be planned properly but it definitely worth looking into. Of course, the problem with said system, is that it probably wouldn't be very profitable considering its huge up front cost.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •