Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 201

Thread: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Nearly 7 Times Exxon Mobiles

  1. #171
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Nearly 7 Times Exxon Mobiles

    Catawba;1059477290]What on earth, pray tell, does population and land mass have to do with gas prices? LOL!
    Just as I thought, you don't have a clue how taxes are paid and collected. ALL drivers pay taxes when they buy gasoline, the size of the country means more driving and more taxes, and thus more tax revenue is collected than in other countries.

    You tell me? It isn't something Obama did.
    No, it isn't something Obama did, but it is something that Obama like all other Presidents did, used money for roads and bridges along with SS revenue for purposes other than intended.

    You would have to understand why our forefathers created the progressive tax to understand why our tax cuts for the wealthy are an expense to to the rest of the taxpayers.
    Our Founding fathers didn't create the Progressive tax system nor did our forefathers expect 47% of the population to not pay any Federal Income Taxes. Further our Founding Fathers never believed personal income was an expense to the govt. Still no answer to the question, how is you keeping more of your income an expense to the Federal Govt?

  2. #172
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Nearly 7 Times Exxon Mobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    ALL drivers pay taxes when they buy gasoline, the size of the country means more driving and more taxes, and thus more tax revenue is collected than in other countries.
    Is that so? Really? Don't suppose you have some proof that we pay more tax on gasoline than other countries? What accounts for their doubled price then in your world?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #173
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Nearly 7 Times Exxon Mobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Is that so? Really? Don't suppose you have some proof that we pay more tax on gasoline than other countries? What accounts for their doubled price then in your world?
    We don't pay more individual gasoline taxes than other countries, just have more people paying a lower amount. The excise taxes collected by the govt. are shown on the U.S. Treasury website. Why don't you familiarize yourself with the site so you stop making a fool of yourself. Like all liberals the percentage collected is more important than the amount, right? Still waiting for you to explain how you keeping more of what you earn isn't an expense to the govt. but the rich keeping more of what they earn is an expense? Keep running

  4. #174
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Nearly 7 Times Exxon Mobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Just as I thought, you don't have a clue how taxes are paid and collected. ALL drivers pay taxes when they buy gasoline, the size of the country means more driving and more taxes, and thus more tax revenue is collected than in other countries.

    While more tax revenue is collected, it could just as well be less, even 1/2 less than other countries. Government decides based on our situation (I assume), and not concerned with other countries.
    No, it isn't something Obama did, but it is something that Obama like all other Presidents did, used money for roads and bridges along with SS revenue for purposes other than intended.

    I would think gasoline taxes should be used for transportation. Of course, SS should be used for SS.
    Our Founding fathers didn't create the Progressive tax system nor did our forefathers expect 47% of the population to not pay any Federal Income Taxes. Further our Founding Fathers never believed personal income was an expense to the govt. Still no answer to the question, how is you keeping more of your income an expense to the Federal Govt?
    When the US is forking out billions for interest on debt, the sooner we pay down debt with your income, the sooner government pays less expenses. The rich having unspent money creates more expense, and related costs to borrow for boosting the economy. Having billions in stocks setting in safe deposit boxes does not help the American economy, because it is not available for business or house loans, etc. In that regard, having the rich pay it, who have the money, it better than having the poor pay it, who doesn't.
    Last edited by shintao; 05-11-11 at 03:59 PM.
    One Tin Soldier Walked Away..................

  5. #175
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Nearly 7 Times Exxon Mobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by shintao View Post
    When the US is forking out billions for interest on debt, the sooner we pay down debt with your income, the sooner government pays less expenses.
    LOL, so where are the assurance that more revenue going to the govt. are going to be used to pay down the debt? You willingly accept what you are told by this govt. and totally ignore history. We have a 3.7 trillion dollar budget and a projected 1.6 trillion dollar debt so tell me how much of that budget is interest expense and if eliminated what will that do to the deficit?

  6. #176
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Nearly 7 Times Exxon Mobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    LOL, so where are the assurance that more revenue going to the govt. are going to be used to pay down the debt? You willingly accept what you are told by this govt. and totally ignore history. We have a 3.7 trillion dollar budget and a projected 1.6 trillion dollar debt so tell me how much of that budget is interest expense and if eliminated what will that do to the deficit?
    You asked for a reason, and I gave you one. You can look up the interest payments as an expense, I don't need to do for it you. What does paying down the debt do? Paying down the national debt will lead to lower interest rates and therefore more affordable housing, therefore boosting the economy and providing jobs.
    One Tin Soldier Walked Away..................

  7. #177
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Nearly 7 Times Exxon Mobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by shintao View Post
    You asked for a reason, and I gave you one. You can look up the interest payments as an expense, I don't need to do for it you. What does paying down the debt do? Paying down the national debt will lead to lower interest rates and therefore more affordable housing, therefore boosting the economy and providing jobs.
    Yes, I can look up the debt service and have. My point remains with a 1.6 trillion dollar deficit and low interest rates that is a drop in the bucket. Further you did give a reason but it is a false one, more revenue to the govt. has never, and I mean never reduced the debt which has gone up under EVERY President. Congress has a spending problem and they use spending to buy votes. Until that stops sending them more money doesn't do anything but increase the size and scope of the govt. Political passion for keeping their jobs and their power prevents leaders from doing their job which is to pay down the debt and have effective management of the economy. In other words, create incentive for the private sector and then get out of the way?

  8. #178
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Nearly 7 Times Exxon Mobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    We don't pay more individual gasoline taxes than other countries, just have more people paying a lower amount. The excise taxes collected by the govt. are shown on the U.S. Treasury website. Why don't you familiarize yourself with the site so you stop making a fool of yourself. Like all liberals the percentage collected is more important than the amount, right? Still waiting for you to explain how you keeping more of what you earn isn't an expense to the govt. but the rich keeping more of what they earn is an expense? Keep running
    "In most of the industrialized world, including Europe and Japan, pump prices are much higher than in the U.S. – even though the wholesale price is roughly the same. The difference is a heavy tax load those countries impose to discourage consumption.

    The Dutch have the dubious distinction of paying the most to fill 'er up, according to the U.S. Deptatment of Energy. (There are various agencies that track gasoline prices, but these are among the most recent figures available.) As of April 10, drivers in the Netherlands were paying the equivalent of about $6.73 a gallon at the pump. The gas itself cost $2.61; the rest — $4.12 — represented tax. That’s a 158 percent tax. By comparison, the U.S. has the lowest tax on gasoline of any industrialized country: about 15 percent at current prices. "
    What does gasoline cost in other countries? - Business - Answer Desk - msnbc.com
    Last edited by Catawba; 05-11-11 at 04:50 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #179
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Nearly 7 Times Exxon Mobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "In most of the industrialized world, including Europe and Japan, pump prices are much higher than in the U.S. – even though the wholesale price is roughly the same. The difference is a heavy tax load those countries impose to discourage consumption.

    The Dutch have the dubious distinction of paying the most to fill 'er up, according to the U.S. Deptatment of Energy. (There are various agencies that track gasoline prices, but these are among the most recent figures available.) As of April 10, drivers in the Netherlands were paying the equivalent of about $6.73 a gallon at the pump. The gas itself cost $2.61; the rest — $4.12 — represented tax. That’s a 158 percent tax. By comparison, the U.S. has the lowest tax on gasoline of any industrialized country: about 15 percent at current prices. "
    Yes, they are with more than half the population that we have thus half the cars on the road with less distance to travel. You can drive across many of those countries in less than a day. You cannot even drive across TX in a day. I cannot believe how misinformed you are yet claim to be an expert. The average tax in this country Federal and State is .50 per gallon and there many times more drivers in this country than in those countries you admire. We don't need higher taxes we need a reduction in spending.

  10. #180
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Nearly 7 Times Exxon Mobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yes, they are with more than half the population that we have thus half the cars on the road with less distance to travel. You can drive across many of those countries in less than a day. You cannot even drive across TX in a day. I cannot believe how misinformed you are yet claim to be an expert. The average tax in this country Federal and State is .50 per gallon and there many times more drivers in this country than in those countries you admire. We don't need higher taxes we need a reduction in spending.
    Thanks for your opinion. As has been documented, we have the lowest gasoline tax in the industrialized world.

    Regarding your "big country" claim:

    "Average one-way commute time is 26 minutes (over an average distance of 16 miles)"

    Poll: Traffic in the United States - ABC News

    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •