Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 267

Thread: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

  1. #231
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why didn't he voluntarily pay the top percentage rate?

    Another big question I have, is how did his income drop 4 million bucks, in a year? I'm betting that someone is hiding some serious jack...through tax loopholes.
    Why would he voluntarily pay more taxes than he should? If anyone I knew did that, I'd call them an idiot. As long as the tax code is there, everyone should follow it. If that means you pay less tax....well, good!
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #232
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    conservatives aren't for not paying taxes any more than we are against government. we are for reasonable taxes and a minimal government. there's a pretty solid difference.

    in the meantime, however, we are also in favor of Leadership. as the President insists that it is wrong of the wealthy to take these deductions, he might sort of - oh, i dunno - "set an example" by not taking them himself.
    Of course, reasonable is defined to suit yourself...and minimal govt hasn't existed in a long time....who was the last president who actually accomplished the elimination of a program? or established a hiring freeze, or a pay freeze for govt workers?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #233
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    conservatives aren't for not paying taxes any more than we are against government. we are for reasonable taxes and a minimal government. there's a pretty solid difference.

    in the meantime, however, we are also in favor of Leadership. as the President insists that it is wrong of the wealthy to take these deductions, he might sort of - oh, i dunno - "set an example" by not taking them himself.
    [emphasis added by bubba]

    you misrepresent the president's position

    Obama is opposed to the deductions being available
    to be taken - not that the available deductions are now used. eliminate the availability of the deductions and we are better able to close the deficit
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #234
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Of course, reasonable is defined to suit yourself...and minimal govt hasn't existed in a long time.
    well, both of these are intents, not specific metrics.

    who was the last president who actually accomplished the elimination of a program? or established a hiring freeze, or a pay freeze for govt workers?
    i couldn't say off the top of my head. probably Truman at the end of WWII.

  5. #235
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    [emphasis added by bubba]

    you misrepresent the president's position

    Obama is opposed to the deductions being available
    to be taken - not that the available deductions are now used. eliminate the availability of the deductions and we are better able to close the deficit
    eh, it still strikes me as poor leadership for him to take them when he is front and center on the importance of raising taxes on the wealthy. It's like your boss saying that everyone should be showing up 15 minutes early to make sure they're on time.... but he is always walking in at the last minute himself.

  6. #236
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,081

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post

    Another big question I have, is how did his income drop 4 million bucks, in a year? I'm betting that someone is hiding some serious jack...through tax loopholes.
    Those big questions are going to persist til you learn to read dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  7. #237
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    eh, it still strikes me as poor leadership for him to take them when he is front and center on the importance of raising taxes on the wealthy. It's like your boss saying that everyone should be showing up 15 minutes early to make sure they're on time.... but he is always walking in at the last minute himself.
    and now your analogy misrepresents his position

    to make your analogy correct it would be as follows: it's like your boss showing up 15 minutes early because that is the present rule but he intends to change the rule so that expectation is no longer imposed in the future

    notice the HUGE difference when his position is accurately represented. i knew you would
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #238
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    and now your analogy misrepresents his position
    not really, both men are in leadership positions, and both are performing to the bare minimum, even as they decry it.

    to make your analogy correct it would be as follows: it's like your boss showing up 15 minutes early because that is the present rule but he intends to change the rule so that expectation is no longer imposed in the future

    notice the HUGE difference when his position is accurately represented. i knew you would
    umm..... i see very small qualitative difference whatsoever in that change. it's still a leader refusing to set the example.

  9. #239
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    not really, both men are in leadership positions, and both are performing to the bare minimum, even as they decry it.



    umm..... i see very small qualitative difference whatsoever in that change. it's still a leader refusing to set the example.
    since you missed it i will explain it for you

    the leader plays by the rules as they are now constructed

    but proposes better rules for the future
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #240
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    a leader needs followers....how many here will follow Obama's example if he should voluntarily add 10% to his taxes?
    time to put up, or shut up.....?
    BTW, many times I have not deducted things that I could have....partially because I am sloppy in my record keeping, partly because I don't mind paying taxes. My country has done much FOR me, damn little TO me.
    Looks like a lot of posters on DP can only see themselves as some kind of victim.....instead of a recipient of the benefits of living in the U.S.A.
    Last edited by UtahBill; 04-28-11 at 02:47 PM.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •