Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 267

Thread: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

  1. #91
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-11-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    275

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why didn't he voluntarily pay the top percentage rate?
    President Obama and Michelle did pay the top percentage on all income earned over $349,000. Maybe if you actually understood how a progressive income tax works, then you would not have to ask such questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Another big question I have, is how did his income drop 4 million bucks, in a year? I'm betting that someone is hiding some serious jack...through tax loopholes.
    Had you taken the time to read the article you posted, then you should not even have to ask this. But I assume that was too much work for you.

    Do you have any proof that President Obama is hiding money, or is this just a claim of ours that has no merit to support it?

  2. #92
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Yeah, there's been a thread about this a while ago, the results of the study were that religiosity was what was the biggest factor in being charitable, not being a liberal or conservative.

    So Barb never really had a valid point.
    Religious people tend to give more.

    Many republicans are religious.

    Therefore Republicans give more.

    How does that negate the fact that Democrats are selfish with their own money
    and Republicans are more generous? Is the devil stopping the Dems from donating
    .

    Here, lets just look at this and the last administration.

    American Thinker: Obama's Charity Problem

    According to their tax returns [notes Coulter], in 2006 and 2007, the Obamas gave 5.8 percent and 6.1 percent of their income to charity. I guess Michelle Obama has to draw the line someplace with all this ‘giving back' stuff. The Bidens gave 0.15 percent and 0.31 percent of the income to charity.

    Meanwhile, in 1991, 1992 and 1993, George W. Bush had incomes of $179,591, $212,313 and $610,772. His charitable contributions those years were $28,236, $31,914 and $31,292. During his presidency, Bush gave away more than 10 percent of his income each year. For purposes of comparison, in 2005, Barack Obama made $1.7 million -- more than twice President Bush's 2005 income of $735,180 -- but they both gave about the same amount to charity.

    That same year, the heartless Halliburton employee Vice President Dick Cheney gave 77 percent of his income to charity.

    The following year, in 2006, Bush gave more to charity than Obama on an income one-third smaller than Obama's.(For those who reject everything that Ann Coulter says because she is a "flamethrower," I commend to you a book on the subject by Professor Arthur Brooks, aptly titled, "Who Really Cares?")

    Studies have shown that giving away personal wealth to charitable causes doesn't help donors to get elected to government office.

    It turns out that promising to help the poor and middle class with tax money from the "wealthy" does, in fact, win elections. In an attempt to provide some "fairness doctrine" balance, there is a silver lining for President Obama in the comparisons: Compared to Joe Biden Obama is rather generous.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  3. #93
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Religious people tend to give more.

    Many republicans are religious.

    Therefore Republicans give more.
    Yes, but it does not negate the fact that the primary controlling factor is Religion, not political ideology, thus making your point moot.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    If he has a following, he is leading. People listen and agree to his advocacy, which gives him a following, given that all that is required to be a leader is to have someone to lead. So yes, it is quite meaningful.
    If you aren't leading by example, you are only leading by opinion, and in that case its meaningless.

  5. #95
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If you aren't leading by example, you are only leading by opinion, and in that case its meaningless.
    Nope, the fundamental basis of leading is getting people to do what you want, further qualifying it by linking it to character traits (which may be useful in identifying what kind of leader a person is), like you are doing, muddles the point. Now if you were to say that Obama is an adjective leader, you would probably have a point.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why didn't he voluntarily pay the top percentage rate?

    Another big question I have, is how did his income drop 4 million bucks, in a year? I'm betting that someone is hiding some serious jack...through tax loopholes.
    His book was the reason his income was higher last tax year.
    Sales aren't that high for it anymore.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #97
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Yes, but it does not negate the fact that the primary controlling factor is Religion, not political ideology, thus making your point moot.
    Aren't Obama and Biden Christians?

    Why don't they give more?
    Maybe because they are liberals?
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  8. #98
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    The article you posted referred to two different kinds of tax rates one that applies to money over a certain amount [with the money that was less than that amount being taxed at different rates] and the overall total amount paid in taxes. They are not the same things.

    So, given the info presented, it's quite possible that he did pay the 35% on the money that was taxed at that amount and had the total tax liability be 26%.

    I don't think I am interested enough to go through his return:
    Obamas Report $1.7 Million in Income for 2010 - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

    But, I can tell that given the info provided, there's no reason to believe that he didn't pay the taxes that were due in a regular way.
    I never said that he didn't pay the taxes that he legally owed. The problem that I have, is that he insists that millionares don't pay enough taxes, all the while, he's a millionare paying about 9% under the current rate. Can you say, "hypocrite"?

  9. #99
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff View Post
    President Obama and Michelle did pay the top percentage on all income earned over $349,000. Maybe if you actually understood how a progressive income tax works, then you would not have to ask such questions.

    Had you taken the time to read the article you posted, then you should not even have to ask this. But I assume that was too much work for you.
    The top rate for people making over a million dollars is 35%. So, obviously, they didn't pay the top rate.

    Do you have any proof that President Obama is hiding money, or is this just a claim of ours that has no merit to support it?
    No proof, just doing my duty by questioning my president.

  10. #100
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Obama only paid a 26% income tax rate for 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Aren't Obama and Biden Christians?
    My assumption is that they are not lying. So I would go with a "they probably are"

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Why don't they give more?
    Maybe because they are liberals?
    Or maybe they didn't claim it on their taxes? Or maybe any other number of other things. Maybe, asking leading questions shouldn't replace real analysis.

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •