Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 190

Thread: GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email

  1. #91
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Umm...affirmative action doesn't "dumb down" the standards. Affirmative action takes two equally qualified people and chooses the minority over the white person....
    Really?

    Judge Sonia Sotomayor once described herself as “a product of affirmative action” who was admitted to two Ivy League schools despite scoring lower on standardized tests than many classmates, which she attributed to “cultural biases” that are “built into testing.”
    Sotomayor –
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I love that comment because I went to a top 10 school as well and several of my white peers didn't do too well on the standardized tests either. There were two different factors at play: 1. Some of them were legacies. 2. Colleges, good colleges, look at more than standardized test scores, particularly when the applicant shines in other areas. Perhaps, both you and Ms. Sotomayor just don't know that.

  3. #93
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Reality doesn't respond to what your "sick of". People have racial identities and people treat each other differently because of their race. Let's just acknowledge reality instead of pretending like it doesn't exist.


    1. There isn't any evidence of racism in his comment.
    2. I find it funny that now you're all gung ho about "dividing races" when you just said you're tired of all this "racial identity" stuff.
    3. He hasn't divided races - he has pissed off racists who realize their racists, racists who don't realize their racists, conservatives who aren't racists but just disagree with his policies and liberals who aren't racists but want him to be more liberal. If you think he has divided races, then you likely have your own racial issues because a lot of white people are doing just fine.
    What you define as reality, is NOT reality, race is not a reality... it has become a negative aspect of our culture. People groups races in these ways due to significant historical events and culture, not because it's "natural" or "real". I have "black" friends that are "whiter" then i am, and has no identity in this racial culture except for whats forced upon them. If we erased the racial policy's in our government and culture the cultural prejudice will go away too, and that is the best way to do it. It's not "pretending" it's not there; it's acknowledging such distinctions as uncivilized and are based on contradictory facts.
    Last edited by celticwar17; 04-19-11 at 03:46 PM.

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    What you define as reality, is NOT reality, race is not a reality... it has become a negative aspect of our culture.
    You say "race is not a reality" and then you say "it [race] has become a negative aspect". How it simultaneously be and not be. Explain.

    People groups races in these ways due to significant historical events and culture, not because it's "natural" or "real". I have "black" friends that are "whiter" then i am, and has no identity in this racial culture except for whats forced upon them. If we erased the racial policy's in our government and culture the cultural prejudice will go away too, and that is the best way to do it. It's not "pretending" it's not there; it's acknowledging such distinctions as uncivilized and are based on contradictory facts.
    Race is definitely real...AS AN IDEA. Ideas are "real" too you know. So yes, it's ridiculous to not acknowledge the REALITY, the IDEA. Race exists because people continue to invoke it in their thoughts, words and actions. And the idea that cultural prejudice and racial culture would go away if the government stopped talking about it is absolutely ridiculous. Racism stops when people of different races grow up together and interact with one another, when people acknowledge racism in themselves and in others.

    Furthermore, if you think you're educating me on the social construction of race, you're not. I'm pretty sure my mother taught me that when I was five.

  5. #95
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    What do I think about a politician, no one has ever heard of, sending an off color cartoon in an E-mail? I think she should have used a little common sense and just deleted it. Not really newsworthy and makes me wonder about who reported it and why.
    fair enough.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #96
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,415

    Re: GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The most dangerous enemy who must be stopped is not the one who merely stand up and opposes the ideas of the far right, but the one who stands up and exposes the tactics and strategies of the far right. Exposing who is behind the curtain and their devices and schemes is much worse than merely scoffing at the lunacy.


    What in the sam hill are you babbling about?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #97
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You say "race is not a reality" and then you say "it [race] has become a negative aspect". How it simultaneously be and not be. Explain.
    Easy, race is not a reality... and the second statement is using the term "race" in which culture thinks it is, and this misconception of "race" IS a negative aspect of our culture.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Race is definitely real...AS AN IDEA. Ideas are "real" too you know. So yes, it's ridiculous to not acknowledge the REALITY, the IDEA. Race exists because people continue to invoke it in their thoughts, words and actions. And the idea that cultural prejudice and racial culture would go away if the government stopped talking about it is absolutely ridiculous. Racism stops when people of different races grow up together and interact with one another, when people acknowledge racism in themselves and in others.

    Furthermore, if you think you're educating me on the social construction of race, you're not. I'm pretty sure my mother taught me that when I was five.
    "Ideas are real too"... ? An idea is just and idea, reality cannot and is not based on just an idea... is this case, the "idea" of "race" has been proven incorrect on scientific and moral basis.

    Like many, you seem to be confusing between culture and "race"... "race" is genetic, and culture is NOT necessarily so unless it is racially based(which is racist), even the racially based cultures do not have all the members of there "race" participating in it...not by a long shot, so you can't assume a "race" exists due to its culture identity.

    "And the idea that cultural prejudice and racial culture would go away if the government stopped talking about it is absolutely ridiculous."
    I think this comment was absolutely ridiculous... first off i did not word it in that way and you are assuming things i did not necessarily say, but regardless ill play along. Look at how much the racial divide has changed in just the last 40 years? it has changed drastically all because of government rules on discrimination. If the government would stop treating the american people as if they were divided by race, then racial culture will again drastically change. We are reminded almost on every government form of our "race". All you are trying to do is stop the american culture from meshing together, and it will eventually... and due to globalization much of the world will too.

    You cannot believe in equality of all humanity and recognize race... it's just does not make sense
    Last edited by celticwar17; 04-19-11 at 04:26 PM.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You say "race is not a reality" and then you say "it [race] has become a negative aspect". How it simultaneously be and not be. Explain.


    Race is definitely real...AS AN IDEA. Ideas are "real" too you know. So yes, it's ridiculous to not acknowledge the REALITY, the IDEA. Race exists because people continue to invoke it in their thoughts, words and actions. And the idea that cultural prejudice and racial culture would go away if the government stopped talking about it is absolutely ridiculous. Racism stops when people of different races grow up together and interact with one another, when people acknowledge racism in themselves and in others.

    Furthermore, if you think you're educating me on the social construction of race, you're not. I'm pretty sure my mother taught me that when I was five.
    Mathews is obsessed with race, and in my opinion, he is your typical liberal.
    Chris Matthews on Obama State of the Union address: 'I forgot he was black' (video)

    Analyzing Obama's State of the Union address, he called the President "post-racial" before saying, "I forgot he was black tonight for an hour. He’s gone a long way to become a leader of this country and past so much history in just a year or two. I mean it’s something we don’t even think about.
    Question for conservatives. When listening to Obama spew his rhetoric are you thinking about his skin color?
    Here's Mathews admitting that is what he thinks about, well, except for that hour where he "forgot"

    Not sure I'd go as far as calling that racist, but it sure is an obsession with the color of a persons skin.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email

    A 73yo woman knows how to send an email? I'm not buying this.....this is fishy from the get-go.

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: GOP official apologizes for Obama chimp email

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Easy, race is not a reality... and the second statement is using the term "race" in which culture thinks it is, and this misconception of "race" IS a negative aspect of our culture.
    The fact that we're talking about it means that it is a reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17
    "Ideas are real too"... ? An idea is just and idea, reality cannot and is not based on just an idea... is this case, the "idea" of "race" has been proven incorrect on scientific and moral basis.
    Reality is that which exists. Ideas exist...in our minds. For example, a lie is real, but what the lie says exists, however, is not real. For example again, the idea of a unicorn is real, but unicorns are not. Ideas are real.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17
    Like many, you seem to be confusing between culture and "race"... "race" is genetic, and culture is NOT necessarily so unless it is racially based(which is racist)
    1. If race is genetic, how it is not real?
    2. I'm not confused. Race describes the divisions of human beings into groups sharing certain somewhat arbitrary physical characteristics. Culture describes the pattern of living within a particular society or population. Both are created by human beings - race is created by attributing meaning to physical features and culture is created by living together. Both influence each other.
    3. I think you're confused.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17
    even the racially based cultures do not have all the members of there "race" participating in it...not by a long shot, so you can't assume a "race" exists due to its culture identity
    Again, you think you're educating me, but you're not. I also never said anything about "race existing due to cultural identity" so I don't even know what you're talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17
    "And the idea that cultural prejudice and racial culture would go away if the government stopped talking about it is absolutely ridiculous."I think this comment was absolutely ridiculous... first off i did not word it in that way
    Pretty much:
    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    If we erased the racial policy's in our government and culture the cultural prejudice will go away too.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17
    and you are assuming things i did not necessarily say, but regardless ill play along. Look at how much the racial divide has changed in just the last 40 years? it has changed drastically all because of government rules on discrimination. If the government would stop treating the american people as if they were divided by race, then racial culture will again drastically change. We are reminded almost on every government form of our "race".
    Actually the racial divide has gotten better as evidence by...everything.

    You cannot believe in equality of all humanity and recognize race... it's just does not make sense
    Umm...yes you can. Let me show you: "there are many different races that human beings recognize and all of them are equal because physical characteristics are insignificant".

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17
    All you are trying to do is stop the american culture from meshing together.
    Umm...no. But thanks for playing.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 04-19-11 at 05:01 PM.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •