Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 76

Thread: The People of Vermont vs. Nuclear Power

  1. #61
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: The People of Vermont vs. Nuclear Power

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    90 windmills? I doubt it. Think MWhrs, or megawatt hours. The wind don't blow ALL the time...how will we store the juice for when the wind don't blow?
    The Chinese have just developed super efficient wind turbines that only need 3 - 4 MPH winds to generate electricity. They have plans to mount them next to interstates and there would be enough wind from the traffic to operate them.

    Vermont only needs to replace 35% of their energy needs, this can be done with combinations of conservation/solar/wind and their remaining 65% of sources.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #62
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: The People of Vermont vs. Nuclear Power

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Given what is known about the "radioactive tritium leaks, misstatements in testimony by plant officials, a cooling tower collapse in 2007, and other problems." I've read about, it is little wonder the people of Vermont want this facility shut down. Safe nuclear power is one thing and this outdated and unsafe facility is quite another.

    And, it only provides 600 jobs. I'm sure many more jobs will be created in developing and running the 35% replacement sources of energy needed while placing a much lower level of risk to public health.
    all good excuses to deny license renewal to BWR reactors, but PWR? New designs?
    What are the other sources of power for Vermont? Does the state buy any nuclear power from Canada? Will that be shut off? Will coal be king in VT?
    The world wonders....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #63
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: The People of Vermont vs. Nuclear Power

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The Chinese have just developed super efficient wind turbines that only need 3 - 4 MPH winds to generate electricity. They have plans to mount them next to interstates and there would be enough wind from the traffic to operate them.

    Vermont only needs to replace 35% of their energy needs, this can be done with combinations of conservation/solar/wind and their remaining 65% of sources.
    Wind from traffic? that is a new one to me....
    but the conservation and efficiency gains are IMO the direction to go now, the technology exists already, and it is low tech...just needs to be applied..
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #64
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: The People of Vermont vs. Nuclear Power

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    all good excuses to deny license renewal to BWR reactors, but PWR? New designs?
    If the new designs allow tritium radiation leaks and the other problems listed in the study, then the design hardly matters.

    What are the other sources of power for Vermont?
    It is broken down here:

    Electric : Vermont Department of Public Service

    Does the state buy any nuclear power from Canada? Will that be shut off? Will coal be king in VT?
    Why would it be. They are not saying they are opposed to nuclear power in wanting this facility shut down, they are saying the risks to human health from this particular facility is not worth the benefit.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #65
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: The People of Vermont vs. Nuclear Power

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Wind from traffic? that is a new one to me....
    but the conservation and efficiency gains are IMO the direction to go now, the technology exists already, and it is low tech...just needs to be applied..
    Maglev Wind Turbine - Enviro News Video's

    I agree they should have no problem with the loss of that 35% source.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #66
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The People of Vermont vs. Nuclear Power

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    What additonal forms of clean energy are promising, for which additional research might prove fruitful?




    //
    Wind and solar. There's only so much that can be done with wind, but if you increase the efficiency of energy conversion you may yield better results. Semi-conducter technology for solar cells is continually evolving as well and research into the base dynamics is starting to yield higher quantum efficiencies. Essentially, if you could ever hit the theoretical limit for energy production out of solar cells, a farm the size of Oklahoma's pan handle would provide enough electricity to cover all the US demand. Of course, you wouldn't really put it all in one place like that; but it's a scale thing. There are other forms of energy which can still be investigated, some that haven't been thought up just yet. But we always come up with new ideas, it's what humans do.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #67
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,290

    Re: The People of Vermont vs. Nuclear Power

    [QUOTE= a farm the size of Oklahoma's pan handle would provide enough electricity to cover all the US demand. Of course, you wouldn't really put it all in one place like that; but it's a scale thing. QUOTE]

    This is the incorrect thought. This is what Centralized Distribution wants. Think Centralized Collection of Monies. De-Centralize to in-home, on site generation of utilities. It is not a backwards concept. It is what the MegaCorporations fear. It is not hard to make power. You have to realize that of all the Energy we use on this planet that 87% is waste heat. Inefficiency.

  8. #68
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,396

    Re: The People of Vermont vs. Nuclear Power

    @ a couple of windmills equalling a nuke plant.


    So davey, willing to support a law stating no
    Purchase of any nuclear sourced power for vt? Yes or no.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #69
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,290

    Re: The People of Vermont vs. Nuclear Power

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    @ a couple of windmills equalling a nuke plant.


    So davey, willing to support a law stating no
    Purchase of any nuclear sourced power for vt? Yes or no.
    Your words "a couple of windmills equalling a nuke plant." Only a complete fool would say such a thing. I think the larger windmills are 4-6 megawatt, but I'm not a proponent of Centralized Distribution of Electricity. Inefficient. No storage. It is a continuation of Centralized Collection of Monies and that is why it is subsidized. Subsidize it at in-home not at the Corporate level. Davey does not live in Vermont but believes in democracy and if Vermonters do not want nukes, it is their decision. If such a referendum were proposed in my area, I would vote to not purchase any nuclear power. For that matter, no distributed energies. That probably sounds farfetched to you, but I understand energy. That makes one of us.

  10. #70
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,396

    Re: The People of Vermont vs. Nuclear Power

    Actually davey one of us sounds naive and ignorant. But dont let someone disagreeing with you stop you from launchig personal attacks.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •