Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 402

Thread: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

  1. #341
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I think I touched on this before, Gardener. I'm saying it's because we are fighting a war, which isn't the same as Afghans just assimilating Westerners into their culture.

    And even in America, I think there should be a balance between promoting Western values/culture and engaging in pluralism. I don't see it as "bending over backwards." I'm saying because we live in a multicultural and pluralistic society that different practices should be given leeway, within certain bounds.
    We don't live in a multiculturalist society, Ballin. Ours is a melting pot.

    To give an example, I grew up with two of my closest friends having parents from Lebanon and Hong Kong respectively. The parents spoke fair to passable English, were ethically Lebanese and Cantonese, and were committed to living in America. The kids were as American as can be, with Americam mannerisms and lifestyles, and nobody saw them as anything but American. If we were a multiculturalist society, however, we would have been different rather than the same because multiculturalism is all about preserving the differences rather than helping towards common ground. It is very nearly the antithesis of the melting pot, since it is based upon seperate cultural identities rather than shared.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  2. #342
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    We don't live in a multiculturalist society, Ballin. Ours is a melting pot.

    To give an example, I grew up with two of my closest friends having parents from Lebanon and Hong Kong respectively. The parents spoke fair to passable English, were ethically Lebanese and Cantonese, and were committed to living in America. The kids were as American as can be, with Americam mannerisms and lifestyles, and nobody saw them as anything but American. If we were a multiculturalist society, however, we would have been different rather than the same because multiculturalism is all about preserving the differences rather than helping towards common ground. It is very nearly the antithesis of the melting pot, since it is based upon seperate cultural identities rather than shared.
    Personally, I think both forces (multiculturalism and assimilation) are at work simultaneously in America. The key is finding a balance, and I think such issues as whether or not we should force everyone to learn English is at the center of this debate.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #343
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    We don't live in a multiculturalist society, Ballin. Ours is a melting pot.

    To give an example, I grew up with two of my closest friends having parents from Lebanon and Hong Kong respectively. The parents spoke fair to passable English, were ethically Lebanese and Cantonese, and were committed to living in America. The kids were as American as can be, with Americam mannerisms and lifestyles, and nobody saw them as anything but American. If we were a multiculturalist society, however, we would have been different rather than the same because multiculturalism is all about preserving the differences rather than helping towards common ground. It is very nearly the antithesis of the melting pot, since it is based upon seperate cultural identities rather than shared.
    actually, we live in both a hybrid and a multicultural society.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #344
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    The only assimilation I prefer is adherence to laws. As for culture, bring on the burritos and baklava.

  5. #345
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-19-11 @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    130

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    I see no problem with girls wearing a scarf. After all they are supposed to be compatible with local customs.

  6. #346
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-19-11 @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    130

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    ]We are not fighting a war, where did you get that idea? War is when two armies are fighting each other. We are the only army there.

  7. #347
    Educator
    Amazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North of Dorothy's Home.
    Last Seen
    04-30-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Oh golly....and you still think you can "win" the hearts and mindss of the Mulims

    How has that worked out for us since WWII....?

    That chip on your shoulder gets heavy sometimes, doesn't it ?

    Poor squidley, you all done mopping?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    you really should keep track of what you say. put a smiley on that, wal-mart.
    Obama is NOT 50 feet tall, he is ONE inch deep.
    Mark Levin

  8. #348
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by shablon View Post
    I see no problem with girls wearing a scarf. After all they are supposed to be compatible with local customs.
    We do not have to comply with the local customs if they are against our own beliefs, according to the military. We are not required to go into a country and comply with sexist customs, especially customs that are meant for women of a specific religion and only perverted to include all women.

    That being said, as I have posted earlier, it doesn't bother me if they allow the female soldiers or even encourage some of the female soldiers to wear scarves. It certainly could help with relations. But, if it taken too far and ordered of all women soldiers, it would be a bad thing because it would encourage those within that country already who wish to oppress women to try to force women to do such things and worse because they can simply point out the fact that the US military forces all of its female soldiers to obey such customs. It wouldn't matter what the military's actual reasoning for ordering all of the female soldiers to do it was, it would be used against Afghani women. This is why I feel that the military has to be very careful about ensuring that this "encouragement" is not viewed as an order, by either the soldiers or the Afghanis.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #349
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,320

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I kinda hope so, I'd like to see him explain how calling you a "dyed in the wool racist" is somehow not uttering the word "racist".

    Now let's not misquote him. He wrote:

    a died in the wool racist
    He means that someone perished in the wool. I'm not sure how, or what that means. Normally, I'm not a grammar nazi kinda guy and my spelling is often terrible - but those are two different words with different meanings and the misuse of them by the author implies a deep ignorance regarding the particular saying employed... and that's funny.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 04-22-11 at 01:58 AM.

  10. #350
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    Oh golly....and you still think you can "win" the hearts and mindss of the Mulims

    How has that worked out for us since WWII....?

    That chip on your shoulder gets heavy sometimes, doesn't it ?

    Poor squidley, you all done mopping?
    you've been shown to have absolutley no concept of tactics or reality. you have no valid input to this conversation, you're a slanderer and a liar....and now you want to act unjustifiably condescending?

    if you want to continue life in your cave...i would suggest staying away from sites such as this.
    Last edited by mac; 04-22-11 at 09:40 AM.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •