Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 402

Thread: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

  1. #121
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,726

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Let me give an example I just thought of: Let us say that some French soldiers came over to the US(yes, I know there are a multitude of joke possibilities there). Right near where they are is a wonderful beach. French women soldiers would still be required to wear a top at this beach, even though French culture and laws say it is not necessary.

    I figured you might enjoy that example.
    While I do enjoy the example, that's different in that that's a matter of respecting our laws, not our customs.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  2. #122
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    While I do enjoy the example, that's different in that that's a matter of respecting our laws, not our customs.
    You have a point. However the difference between law and custom is often one of degree. For whatever reason, it's a cultural custom in the United States for women not to go around with their breasts out in the open at regular beaches (and in many other public places). That custom has been codified into law.

    I don't think it's law in Afghanistan for all women to wear a hijab, but it might be a good idea when you want to relate more to the locals.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 04-02-11 at 04:54 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #123
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Let me give an example I just thought of: Let us say that some French soldiers came over to the US(yes, I know there are a multitude of joke possibilities there). Right near where they are is a wonderful beach. French women soldiers would still be required to wear a top at this beach, even though French culture and laws say it is not necessary.

    I figured you might enjoy that example.
    I don't see them not wearing tops as being a problem.

    I certainly doubt anyone is going to car bomb a French patrol over it.

  4. #124
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,726

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    No, I've been very consistent with what I asked you. It is you who keeps trying to change the subject.
    No, you haven't been consistent. No matter though, I'm getting of this Merry-go-'round. Here's the question you claim to want a response to;
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Do you seriously expect me to believe that it would mean subjugation if a female soldier in the United States military wore one out of respect -- whether she did it because she was ordered to or because she felt it was appropriate to?
    Answering your question as you've asked it, I don't seriously expect you to believe anything you refuse to believe, even if it's proven fact - as in the case of the reporter in the closet.

    See what I did there?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  5. #125
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Alright, I guess I have to rephrase so as to prevent you from twisting my words:

    Do you honestly believe that it would mean subjugation if a female soldier in the United States military wore one out of respect -- whether she did it because she was ordered to or because she felt it was appropriate to?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #126
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,726

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Alright, I guess I have to rephrase so as to prevent you from twisting my words:

    Do you honestly believe that it would mean subjugation if a female soldier in the United States military wore one out of respect -- whether she did it because she was ordered to or because she felt it was appropriate to?
    I believe that it could be perceived that way, yes. I'm also opposed to women being less safe by foregoing their helmets, where their male counterparts are not expected to.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #127
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I believe that it could be perceived that way, yes.
    I didn't ask if it could be perceived that way. I asked if you honestly believe it would mean subjugation. Please answer the question I asked.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I'm also opposed to women being less safe by foregoing their helmets, where their male counterparts are not expected to.
    So am I, but I sincerely doubt that they're being expected to remove their helmets in situations where their male counterparts are not.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #128
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,726

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I didn't ask if it could be perceived that way. I asked if you honestly believe it would mean subjugation. Please answer the question I asked.
    Why wouldn't it mean that? Oh, I'm sure that's not the reason for it from the militaries perspective, but it doesn't change the character of the garment itself.



    So am I, but I sincerely doubt that they're being expected to remove their helmets in situations where their male counterparts are not.
    Oh yeah? Did you see the picture that came with the story. Pay special attention to that male soldier in the background.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  9. #129
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Why wouldn't it mean that? Oh, I'm sure that's not the reason for it from the militaries perspective, but it doesn't change the character of the garment itself.
    Feel free to continue refusing to answer the question, I can only chase you around the mullberry bush for so long.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Oh yeah? Did you see the picture that came with the story. Pay special attention to that male soldier in the background.
    Looks to me like everybody in the picture is on duty. If that's true, then that's not cool.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #130
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,726

    Re: Female U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan ‘Encouraged’ to Wear Hijab

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Feel free to continue refusing to answer the question, I can only chase you around the mullberry bush for so long.
    TED, I'm seriously not trying to dodge your question. I'm conceding to you that the suggestion was not made by the commander (or whoever) with the intent to subjugate the female members of his unit.

    Looks to me like everybody in the picture is on duty. If that's true, then that's not cool.
    Thank you. I think maybe there's been some miscommunication here. I assumed, based on my reading of the story, that the hijab was encouraged even when our troops are on duty and out on patrol (I think the article made mention of that, but I'm not sure). If you believed the recommendation was made that women wear the hijab only when not on duty and not on base, I can see that being different question. I'm not arguing to ban the hijab on women soldiers if that's what they want to do when they're not working. If it's truly their choice, then it's not subjugation.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •